Style Parodies on Poodle Hat

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Genius in France is clearly Zappa. I have a question for the Zappa fans -- how many direct references to Zappa songs are in GIF? Sounds like dozens.

El

Well the whole song is a giant reference, and not just because it is a style parody. I think Al took more time on this song than on others because it is so dead on. Every verse takes something from another Zappa song or album. My favorite is the frog souding effect from Lumpy Gravy that pops up. But there is nothing that makes me say "Hey, that is about Zappa" The song maks me say "Hey, thats Zappa"

Mike
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
MarlinsGirl
Obsessed
Awards: Best Fan Artist (PhotoShopped Material)-WOWAY Awards 4.0

Post by MarlinsGirl »

when i listened to Genius in France the first time I thought I was listening to Frank Zappa. Al definetly did his homework on that song
tempforte
Occasional

Prince of wails

Post by tempforte »

"Wanna B Ur Lovr" is almost definitely a style parody of Beck's "Midnite Vultures" album. I realize that's already been posted twice, but now we only need one more person to agree to win the best-of-seven series.

The more I hear 'Wanna B Ur Lovr', the more it reminds me of 'Peaches & Cream' (just compare the "Girl you must be Jamaican / Because Jamaican me crazy" bit with the "Keep your lamplight trimmed and burning" bit from P&C). But, as I've mentioned before, Midnite Vultures is popularly thought of as Beck's "Prince album". Also, the fact that Prince has a penchant for "I want 2 B with U 4evr"-style titles, and indeed has a very similarly-named song*, leads me to believe that 'Wanna B Ur Lovr' is probably more likely to be a Prince style parody.

Perhaps it's a parody of Prince and Beck simultaneously -- a "parallelody", to use a term coined by a friend of mine?

*Although I don't believe that Al would purposely take such a title and make it less ridiculous than it was originally!
OneNote
Occasional

Re: Prince of wails

Post by OneNote »

"Wanna B Ur Lovr" is almost definitely a style parody of Beck's "Midnite Vultures" album. I realize that's already been posted twice, but now we only need one more person to agree to win the best-of-seven series.
The more I hear 'Wanna B Ur Lovr', the more it reminds me of 'Peaches & Cream' (just compare the "Girl you must be Jamaican / Because Jamaican me crazy" bit with the "Keep your lamplight trimmed and burning" bit from P&C). But, as I've mentioned before, Midnite Vultures is popularly thought of as Beck's "Prince album". Also, the fact that Prince has a penchant for "I want 2 B with U 4evr"-style titles, and indeed has a very similarly-named song*, leads me to believe that 'Wanna B Ur Lovr' is probably more likely to be a Prince style parody.

Perhaps it's a parody of Prince and Beck simultaneously -- a "parallelody", to use a term coined by a friend of mine?

*Although I don't believe that Al would purposely take such a title and make it less ridiculous than it was originally!

No, I'm thinking it's Beck. Prince never used a trumpet. Also, the multitude of sound effects is more Beck than Prince.
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

No, I'm thinking it's Beck. Prince never used a trumpet. Also, the multitude of sound effects is more Beck than Prince.

Perhaps, I don't listen to that much Beck, but at one point in the song there is a little breath-hitch sound that is TOTALLY Prince.

-Shelley
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

Genius in France is clearly Zappa. I have a question for the Zappa fans -- how many direct references to Zappa songs are in GIF? Sounds like dozens.

I couldn't remember what some of them were, but Inca Roads (Poodle... Poodle compared to Park it... Park it...), some of the guitar riffs sounded like St. Alphonzo's Pancake Breakfast, "Great Googily Moogily is from Nanook Rubs it, the first few verses sound like San Ber'dino, the fourth verse sounds like the doo-wop styles from the Ruben and the Jets album, and jesus, I had no idea that dweezil could play that closely to his father... I'm sure there are more, but I couldn't find any at the moment. Because of both the lyrics and the musical styles, this is the best song on the album, I think.
His name is Bobby, he looks like a potato
Phillipemoz
Occasional

I am the Slime on your Poodle Hat

Post by Phillipemoz »

First off, the guitar intro to Genius in France sounded EXACTLY like the intro to Frank Zappa's song "Im the Slime." (which is also about TV, like the first track of Poodle Hat) If you listened to Dr. Demento's show this past Sunday, you would have heard Frank Zappa's "I'm the Slime" right before he played Couch Potato! ( you can look at the playlist on Dr. Demento's website, it lists "I'm the Slime" as being by "The Mothers", which was the name of Zappa's band.)

Dweezil Zappa is the one who did the guitar solo intro, and he replicated his Father's style PERFECTLY.

Poodles- It wasn't until I heard Genius in France that I got the connection. Zappa mentioned poodles more than once in his songs, and there was even a philosophical book written about zappa that said something about poodles in the title.

Genius in France- In France was a Zappa song, originally off Them or Us and also on the one of Zappa's many cheezy collections named "Have I Offended Someone" (his funniest offensive songs). One online reviewer said this was the worst song on that album, but he was probably French. I thought it was funny.

However, I was a little dissappointed that Al was hopping on the bandwagon of "let's make fun of the French and rename everything that is named after them stupidity.' Then I remembered that Weird Al wrote the originals a while ago, which was probably before making fun of French people became really popular. I think he was ahead of the curve, that the inspiration for this song was merely zappa and not political. At least I hope so. I am totally for making fun of the French, as long as there is no political reason behind it, and it is not mean-spirited.

okay, let me take a breath
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

I think it would be very interesting to find out if Genius in France was written before French bashing became our patriotic duty, since some will undoubtety accuse Al of just doing it because it is popular.

But let's not let this degenerate into a political discussion. I like what Weird Al said in the chat when some one asked him "Are you a Republicac "(he probably meant Republican)

Weird Al said "I don't give out my species like that."
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

You win! It is indeed a parody of both of them simultaneously; Al said so on KABC last night. Here's your twinkie-wiener sandwich. <(_____)>
BathTub
Occasional

Post by BathTub »

well thats just pretty damn cool then.