Wow, I didn't think that would happen, I always thought that

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Then shows progression. I bought Poodle Hat then I went home and listened to it.

Than is comparative. Weird Al is more talented than Eminem.

See? Easy. :lookround: <Hoping she's right so OE doesn't call her out on it.>
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Then shows progression. I bought Poodle Hat then I went home and listened to it.

Than is comparative. Weird Al is more talented than Eminem.

See? Easy. :lookround: <Hoping she's right so OE doesn't call her out on it.>

You are correct. Have a cookie. :)

although in my case the illustrative sentence would be "I bought Poodle Hat then I ripped it open and listened to it right there on the sidewalk, cracking up in full view of hundreds of people who forgot to bring along their CD players."
MidiboyGregg

Post by MidiboyGregg »

Orthography Enthusiast: Thanks for helping me out in the area of my major pet peeve. Than/Then, Accept/Except, insure/ensure, to/too, lose / loose.

In fact, the lose / loose thing is my MAJOR pet peeve. I can't stand that I hear of people who "loose" their shoes. It makes me think they untied them, when in fact they lost them. Ah, the English language. A wonderful piece of work, eh? There are at least 27 other things that tick me off about it as well.

Anyway, on to WBUL....

I do not agree with the people who say it is a "Beck" style parody. It is most definately a "Prince" style parody. Vocally, it sounds like Prince, musically, the guitar sounds like a Prince style as well as the keys, and everything.

Beck's older music uses far more loops and is a little more obscure. His newer music, is almost all guitar based. (Thinking of "I'm A Loser Baby")
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I do not agree with the people who say it is a "Beck" style parody. It is most definately a "Prince" style parody. Vocally, it sounds like Prince, musically, the guitar sounds like a Prince style as well as the keys, and everything.

Al himself said that's it's a style parody of Beck performing in the style of Prince. I think I transcribed his comments somewhere on this forum.
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

Beck's older music uses far more loops and is a little more obscure. His newer music, is almost all guitar based. (Thinking of "I'm A Loser Baby")

That's not really his newer music. Maybe new compared to Jeff Beck, but I'm a Loser Baby is somewhat old for Beck.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Yes. Beck stayed fresh to stay out of the one hit wonder bin, and he did a good job of it! (Although about "Sea Change"...Geesh, Beck...Cheer up!!! Buy Poodle hat!!!)

Thanks for the then/than lesson.....maybe it'll stick with me for a few hours....
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Besides, the title is just "Loser."
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Just confirmed in the chat. It;s Ode to a Superhero. Yay! I got my cookie!
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Teleman027
Occasional

Post by Teleman027 »

I thought it was ode to a superhero... and I actually played that song for my dad. He doesn't like al. But he LOVED this song!

I don't think there are any spelling errors.....

-Not You.

(afterthought: YAY! I'M NOT A NEWBIE ANYMORE!!!!)
~_~ The Door Matt ~_~

"Then I tied her to a chair and I shaved off all her hair And I left her in the desert all alone Well sometimes in my dreams I can still hear the screams Oh I wonder if she ever made it home"- Good Old Days
sarah_yzma
Addicted

Post by sarah_yzma »

heres your cookie!

I guess that was it..now there is no mystery in my life....

Sarah :P