The "alapalooza" Review Thread!

Moderator: Moderators

Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

I recently got Alapalooza, and so, I decided to make a review thread and see what other fans think of it.

((To mods: I read the rules, and if I'm still too new here to start a topic, just tell me via PM. I don't wanna start any trouble.))

Alright, now for the review!:

Jurassic Park: Very funny, and, in my opinion, a MUCH better written song than the original. Love the video. 10/10!

Young, Dumb, And Ugly: Nothing special here, but some very cute lyrics. 7/10.

Bedrock Anthem: Wonderful, possibly one of the best songs on this album. 10/10.

Frank's 2000" TV: Very cute. Not especially funny, however. 7/10.

Achy Breaky Song: T_T I actually _LIKED_ "Achy Breaky Heart"! ((Note the PAST TENSE. I DID, because I was little when it came out.)) A cute song though. 8/10.

Traffic Jam: I never really listened to this all the way through...From what I've heard of it, kinda cute, but nothing special. 7/10.

Talk Soup: Oh my Lord. A song that's very unusual, even for Al. I can't even really make much sense of it. 7/10.

Livin' In The Fridge: One of the only true gems on this album! A very, very funny, cute song, that gets extra points for having a video made for TWAS. 11/10!

She Never Told Me She Was A Mime: A cute song that well displays his less randomly insane side. 8/10.

Harvey The Wonder Hamster: Short, but horrendously cute, like the TWAS mascot it came to create around four years later. 10/10!

Waffle King: Alright, I admit it. I like this song! I dunno why! Cute lyrics! 9/10.

Bohemian Polka: I like this polka ALOT. Dun ask why. I just...do. 10/10, as with all of his polkas. ((Though my fave is the VERY 100/10 'Angry White Boy Polka'!))
Are we playin' horseshoes, honey? No, I don't think we are...

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

JURASSIC PARK -- 8/10 Pretty good parody...and it soon made sense once I saw the movie. Heh.

YOUNG, DUMB, AND UGLY -- 7/10 A pretty underrated original. It's neat.

BEDROCK ANTHEM -- 5/10 I don't like it all that much...

FRANK'S 2000 INCH TV -- 10/10 I LOVE this song!! Al did a great job with the harmonizing. Although it's not funny, it's still a great song!

ACHY BREAKY SONG -- 9/10 It's better performed live.

TRAFFIC JAM -- 4/10 A weak original.

TALK SOUP -- 3/10 Al doesn't have to be like that to be funny. (But then again, I like the Jerry Springer song. Go figure.)

LIVIN' IN THE FRIDGE -- 10/10 Excellant parody!!! Nuff said.

SHE NEVER TOLD ME SHE WAS A MIME -- 7/10 Why do so many people hate this one? It's cool.

HARVEY THE WONDER HAMSTER -- 10/10 I remember buying this CD when I was 8 years old, and wondered what the heck this song was about. Even then, I still loved it, just because it seemed so random to me at the time.

WAFFLE KING -- 4/10 Another weak original.

BOHEMAIN POLKA -- 10/10 Excellant polka! Though a lot of people at school hate Al just because he "ruined the Queen song." I thought the idea of turning that song into a polka was just plain funny though.

Overall, I'd give this album a 7/10.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

Wow, and I thought I was rough on it. ^_^ Ah well. Waffle King wasn't THAT weak. It was actually a cute song. And Bedrock Anthem's one of the best this album has, so BAH. I dunno, maybe it's the video that makes it so great. It has ALOT of Al's trademark expression in it, which I like. (He's so cool...^_^)

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

JURASSIC PARK- 6/10- After you see the video 3978427898795489735.439788589727 times, it's REALLY annoying.

Y,D&U- 0- Least favorite song of the album.

Bedrock Anthem- 10/10- AWESOME song, but I almost vomit when I see the video. Those fake teeth scare the heck outta me!

Frank's 2000" TV- 10/10- The BEST original on the album!

Achy Breaky Song- 9/10- A little slow, but when I sang ABH in my head to the tune of ABS, it was HILARIOUS. "Don't tell my heart..."

Traffic Jam- 10/10- My favorite original on the album.

Talk soup- 1/10- This is the second weakest song on the ALbum. Jerry Springer was MUCH better.

Livin' In The Fridge- 10/10- The segment from TWAS featured on TUVC had me rolling. I LOVE THIS SONG!

She never told me she was a mime- 1/10- Eh.

Harvey the Wonder Hamster- 8/10- It's 21 seconds. I mean, if I watched AL-TV in the 80's (if I was ALIVE BACK THEN) I would get it.

Waffle King- 3/10- Eh again.

Bohemian Polka- 10/10- One of my personal favorite polkas.

IN GENERAL- 8/10- Great parodies, EXCELLENT polka, very eh originals.
-Kevin
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

JURASSIC PARK: The original song isn't a favorite, so I wasn't crazy about this song. The screaming lasts too long, but other than that, I do like the lyrics. 7/10
YOUNG DUMB & UGLY: Never been a favorite. 5/10
BEDROCK ANTHEM: I like the intro ("Under the Bridge") but the rest of the song is eh. 8/10
FRANK'S 2000" TV: Great original. As dingo would say, listen with headphones! 10/10
ACHY BREAKY SONG: Great lyrics, but I don't like country too much. 8/10
TRAFFIC JAM: Favorite song on the album. 10/10
TALK SOUP: It's not very funny, and the music isn't too good. 6/10
LIVIN' IN THE FRIDGE: Love it. Best parody here. 10/10
SHE NEVER TOLD ME SHE WAS A MIME: This one reminds me too much of SIACWVW. 4/10
HARVEY THE WONDER HAMSTER: It's not a masterpiece or anything, but I do like it. 9/10
WAFFLE KING: Pretty underrated. I really enjoy this one. 8/10
BOHEMIAN POLKA: Best polka after TAP. 10/10

Overall: 79%
Not one of Al's best.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Jurassic Park - Truly one of the best movie-themed parodies. And it SOUNDS much better than the original versions. 10/10

Young, Dumb, and Ugly - Another overlooked song. It's actually quite clever, but in a more subtle way, I suppose. Plus, it's another chance for the band to rock! 8/10

Bedrock Anthem - The album's weakest parody, although it's still a great song! I love the way he combined "Under the Bridge" and "Give it Away" for this one. It worked even better than on "The Plumbing Song." - 8/10

Frank's 2000" TV - Super original in the brilliant style of R.E.M. However, it's a good thing that the music is so good, because the joke doesn't last nearly as long as the track length. 8/10

Achy Breaky Song - I love this song! The original was great in an annoying kind of way. I love parodies which actually poke fun at the original! Super song! 10/10

Traffic Jam - Yuck! Weak music + weak lyrics = weak song. Some decent jokes here and there, but the jokes are pretty repetitive, predictable, and not all that funny. This is one of his weakest originals ever. 5/10

Talk Soup - See above. 5/10

Livin' In The Fridge - I wish Al would have parodied one of the better songs from Aerosmith's "Get a Grip" album, like "Amazing," "Crying," or "Crazy," but any Aerosmith parody will do! - 9/10

She Never Told Me She Was A Mime - Much better than the last two originals (TJ and TS), but still not on par with most of the originals on other albums. Again, I like the subtle humor here. Without reading the title, you don't the joke until the end of the first verse. 6/10

Harvey the Wonder Hamster - Who cares! It's a nice little song, but...who cares? 6/10

Waffle King - There are some really great jokes in this song, but this whole song has always been overshadowed by it's original release as a B-side to SLN for me. That is to say, I originally thought it was a song Al wrote that he felt wasn't good enough for the album (OTDE). It still doesn't feel like it belongs on Alapalooza. But to be fair, it is much better than "Talk Soup" or "Traffic Jam." 6/10

Bohemian Polka - One of the best polka medleys ever! Perfect song in every possible way! 10/10
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

anthontherun @ May 17 2004, 02:02 PM wrote: Overall: 79%
Not one of Al's best.
I'd give this whole Album an 80%.
In hiding since 2010
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

This is one of my least favorite ALbums.

1. Jurassic Park - Excellent parody! The best part is the instrumental where Al gets swallowed by the dinosaur, but that was a tough one, since this is good all around. The video is great too! 9/10

2. Young, Dumb & Ugly - Why, Al? WHY? 1/10

3. Bedrock Anthem - Overrated. OK, but not that great. 6/10

4. Frank's 2000" TV - Very good original. The multilayered vocals are great! 8/10

5. Achy Breaky Song - BEST WEIRD AL SONG EVER. 27/10

6. Traffic Jam - This one is pretty good. I like the fact that it sounds a lot like Prince's "Let's Go Crazy". 7/10

7. Talk Soup - I've never cared much for this one. 4/10

8. Livin' In The Fridge - Very good parody. "Ahhhh...." :lol: 8/10

9. She Never Told Me She Was A Mime - This one's never been a favorite of mine either. 4/10

10. Harvey The Wonder Hamster - Despite the fact that it's 23 seconds, it's much better than YD&U, TS, and SNTMSWAM. 5/10

11. Waffle King - I've always felt this one is better than "Talk Soup." It's an OK song, but definitely not a standout. 6/10

12. Bohemian Polka - The ballad part of Bohemian Rhapsody was done well here, but the rest is a bit spotty. Still, it's a pretty good listen. 8/10
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Themagic#27
Obsessed

Post by Themagic#27 »

I give the album 6/10 for being kinda boring at points, but when it's funny, it's REALLY funny. It may not be on Alapalooza, but I *STILL* think that Taco Grande is WAY underrated. It's a cute, somewhat clever, if not unoriginal song, and one of my fave parodies of his. Besides that Mexican food and restraunts kinda have a history with me and my best friend. ((Anna, age 15! She's ALSO an obsessive Weird Al fan, and went to the concert with us!))

♥Al-Team #6x7=42♥
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

Jurassic Park: Even though Al did a good job on this song. I don't care for it. I like one or two lines out of it. It's a ok song. I give it a 7/10.

Young Dumb and Ugly: Its not one of my favorites. But I don't think Al's voice is very good in it. I don't listen to it much. I give it a 6/10.

Bedrock Athem: I like this song. Its funny and a good music video. I give it a 8/10.

Franks 2000" TV: Very good original song. Good lyrics. I give it a 7/10.

Achey Breaky Song: I love it. Very funny. A great parody. I give it a 10/10.

Traffic Jam: A good song. I don't mind it. Although I dont listen to it much. I give it a 7/10.

Talk Soup: I like this song. Its kind of funny in a gross sort of way.I give it a 8/10.

Livin in the Fridge: My second favorite on this album. A great parody. I give it a 10/10.

She Never Told me she was Mime: I don't listen to this much. Its ok, I don't dislike it. I give a 6/10.

Harvey The Wonder Hamster: I like it. Its short and gets stuck in my head. I give it a 8/10.

Waffle King: A good song. Not the best. I give it a 7/10.

Bohemian Polka: I don't mind this polka. It's funny. I give it a 8/10.

This album is a good one. It's not one I listen too much. I give it a 3 star rating. Or a 7/10.
Al team # 2836