Gumby Jaws Lament

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

JohnnyLurg
Regular
Awards: Discoverer of the elusive "Orgy On My Own"

Gumby Jaws Lament

Post by JohnnyLurg »

Okay, I know it's not actually an Al song per se, but Al plays accordion on it and lyrically, it arguably resembles an early Al song more than a Barnes & Barnes one.

I was just wondering what people think of this song. I find everything about it hilarious, except for the possibly homophobic lyrics near the middle.
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Gumby Jaws Lament

Post by minnick27 »

I think it's a fantastic song. I performed it as a monologue in my drama class in high school. I feel the early days of the Dr Demento show were better than they are now, but I think that was more the result of how bad everything sounded production wise. Plus all the in studio goings on we're awesome as well
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

I actually made a nice extended mix of this once - with Al brought up considerably in the mix, on top of everything else.

I made it because I was trying to reconstruct a faux compilation called 'The Weird Al Yankovic AnthALogy' that All Things Yankovic once had in their discography as an April Fool's prank. The track list had one non-existent track - "The Life And Times Of Jerome Finley" - so I tried to make a fill-in for that track by doing an extended 'Gumby Jaws Lament'.
JohnnyLurg
Regular

Post by JohnnyLurg »

TheLazenby wrote:I actually made a nice extended mix of this once - with Al brought up considerably in the mix, on top of everything else.

I made it because I was trying to reconstruct a faux compilation called 'The Weird Al Yankovic AnthALogy' that All Things Yankovic once had in their discography as an April Fool's prank. The track list had one non-existent track - "The Life And Times Of Jerome Finley" - so I tried to make a fill-in for that track by doing an extended 'Gumby Jaws Lament'.
Do you still have the mix? I'd like to hear it.
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

I'll upload it the next time I'm on the other computer.
JohnnyLurg
Regular

Post by JohnnyLurg »

TheLazenby wrote:I'll upload it the next time I'm on the other computer.
Thanks! And I agree with your sentiments on TV Tropes about "One More Minute" and "Orgy On My Own."
Eyeball Chair
Addicted

Post by Eyeball Chair »

You know Al helped write this song.
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

What sentiments are they, JohnnyLurg? I can't remember.... (I'm trying to find them myself - Al's main page has a mention of "Orgy" being 'explicit', but no comments under that - I certainly would've disagreed had I seen that!!)
JohnnyLurg
Regular

Post by JohnnyLurg »

TheLazenby wrote:What sentiments are they, JohnnyLurg? I can't remember.... (I'm trying to find them myself - Al's main page has a mention of "Orgy" being 'explicit', but no comments under that - I certainly would've disagreed had I seen that!!)
"Um..... have you actually HEARD "Orgy On My Own"? That song is no more explicit than, say, "One More Minute." A legitimate example of this would be "Dead Car Battery Blues," since Al uncharacteristically says 'smurf'."
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Oh, here's my extended mix:

http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/240328/file.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On top of an extended intro and breakdown section in the middle, I re-jiggered the stereo mix so that Al's accordion stands out above everything.