Babalu Music

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

TMBJon @ September 06, 2009 05:57 pm wrote: Hey that was a pretty good find. Never saw that before. Another interesting note - I'm sure that was the widest audience "It's Still Billy Joel To Me" and "Spameater" ever saw.
On TV, maybe. They were also performed on the 1984 tour, which was the one where his generic venues changed from a wax museum in DC (as part of Dr. D's live gigs) to the 3,000 seat Starlight Amphitheater in LA (as a standalone rock show).
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

GuyWhoIsAnonymous @ September 06, 2009 03:17 pm wrote: On TV, maybe.
I guarantee more people saw that episode of Entertainment Tonight than any one concert during that tour.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Wow! Compliments from Lucille Ball! That was quite an accomplishment.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

That was really great to see! It was fun seeing Toni Basil and Lucille Ball being interviewed about it, and the Al parts were great! I loved his description of his act not being a novelty act but a full (do I have that word right?) rock-surf-punk-country/western-easy listening-neo Gogos-blues act. :lol:

FredHuggins, where do you find all these wonderful gems? And thank you for putting them up on YouTube for all of us to enjoy!
Vikki
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

It's easy to forget nowadays just how ubiquitous the I Love Lucy show was. There was a saying that even up as far as 1990, reruns of ILL would be playing on some channel, somewhere in the world at any given time of day. That's probably not true anymore but it gives you some idea.. and of course, in the 60s/70s there were fewer channels and audiences were enormous, not fragmented and diverse as we are used to now
It was my favourite show on TV as a little kid here in England and it seemed to be always on. I think pretty nearly anyone my age (44) and up (in UK/USA at least) must have, at very least, a rudimentary knowledge of the show, and someone who watched a lot of TV *couldn't* have avoided seeing it without making a special effort

Lucille Ball was a MEGA global star, and yet.. ILL probably hasn't been screened here since maybe 1971, I guess a couple of generations now have never even heard of her
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

In the US, the show is still pretty often played thanks to Nickelodeon and their offshoot, TV Land. I know that the majority of young kids that I work with still recognize Lucy and they've seen the show before. I Love Lucy will never die!
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Bruce the Duck @ September 13, 2009 12:46 pm wrote: In the US, the show is still pretty often played thanks to Nickelodeon and their offshoot, TV Land. I know that the majority of young kids that I work with still recognize Lucy and they've seen the show before. I Love Lucy will never die!
Thats a pretty damning indictment of modern programme making... scary.

Most shows that age are no longer deemed politically correct, so kudos to Desilu for making a programme that maybe hasnt aged quite as badly as many of its contemporaries
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I own the whole series on DVD, and I've been going through it episode by episode for over a year, and I'm still not finished. But the show is pretty "politically incorrect" by today's standards. Particularly in the way that Ricky runs the home, doling out punishments, allowances, and demands as a parent might do towards a child. But the fact that Lucy was the main character and she rebelled against Ricky's control so often marks it as one of the first pieces of pop culture to challenge the idea of male dominance. Besides, people have a pretty good sense of being able to look at a TV show or movie in its proper historical perspective. At least, I can.

Anyway, as far as the popularity of the show being a statement of modern television, I don't think that's necessarily so. Yeah, there are a lot of old shows and entire channels that air old shows on television. But I think it's more of a testament to the quality and durability of the shows than to the deficiencies in modern programming.

Anyway....

"Babalu Music" rocks! :lookaround:
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Lucy hasnt been run in England since 1971? That is sad. I used to get up at 5am to watch it, and I was in 6th grade at the time. Although I just punched it in the DVR and it isnt on anytime soon, which makes me upset. I havent watched it in a long time, but now I kinda want too.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

It usually comes on Hallmark Channel or TV Land several times a week over here.