06/08/13 Keene NH Colonial Theater

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Re: 06/08/13 Keene NH Colonial Theater

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

Seriously, why would anyone be protesting a Weird Al concert? If there were protesters in downtown Keene that day, it's more likely they were part of Free Keene, or some similar activist group, which would have nothing to do with Al.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

They may not be a fan of Weasel Stomping Day.

Seriously, at the concert in Wendover, NV, there was someone at the show who said that they were afraid to bring their child to the show. Mom asked them why, and they said because he had some violent songs, like Weasel Stomping Day.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

*jaw drops* Seriously?! That's just ridiculous.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I had a friend growing up whose mom wouldn't let him listen to Weird Al because "The Night Santa Went Crazy" was too violent. And she never even heard the Extra Gory Version!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Alinite27 wrote:Seriously, at the concert in Wendover, NV, there was someone at the show who said that they were afraid to bring their child to the show. Mom asked them why, and they said because he had some violent songs, like Weasel Stomping Day.
Al hasn't even shown the clip of that one since 2008. The most violent song he performs on the Alpocalypse tour would probably be "Party In The CIA".

Actually, that's also the only Weird Al song I could see some actual pointless protest over.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

Alinite27 wrote:Seriously, at the concert in Wendover, NV, there was someone at the show who said that they were afraid to bring their child to the show. Mom asked them why, and they said because he had some violent songs, like Weasel Stomping Day.
Kevbo1987 wrote:*jaw drops* Seriously?! That's just ridiculous.
TMBJon wrote:I had a friend growing up whose mom wouldn't let him listen to Weird Al because "The Night Santa Went Crazy" was too violent.
I can totally understand why some parents might not want to take their children to a Weird Al show. A lot of it depends on the age and maturity of the child, and how perceptive they are to subtle innuendo.

Before we went to our very first Weird Al concert, I had the same concerns. My kids were 8 and 10, and I was not thrilled at the idea of them hearing songs like "Jerry Springer" or "Wanna B Ur Lovr" or "The Night Santa Went Crazy". I did some research and tried to find out what songs were on the setlist for that year's tour. I watched some videos on YouTube, and read some blogs. I still wasn't 100% sure, but in the end, I decided to take them anyway. They had a blast, and they didn't even notice the innuendo in WBUL and the mock interviews. I cringed a few times, but it all went over their heads.

I think parents SHOULD be aware of what kind of music their children are listening to. I think young children could be very upset by listening to "The Night Santa Went Crazy" or "Weasel Stomping Day." For the first few years after I bought Al's CDs, I recorded them onto blank cassette tapes so the kids could listen to them in my van. I only copied the songs I wanted them to hear, and it worked out just fine. I couldn't ban Weird Al just because of a couple of questionable songs.

Before we brought my 9 yr. old nephew to a show, I let his mom & dad preview some of the songs (esp Good Old Days), so they could decide if he should go. He did go to the show and he was fine; I don't think he even heard all the lyrics.

Now my kids are 14 and 16 and they get ALL the jokes! Sometimes I wish they were blissfully unaware like they were a few years ago! :P
Killingsworth wrote:The most violent song he performs on the Alpocalypse tour would probably be "Party In The CIA".

Actually, that's also the only Weird Al song I could see some actual pointless protest over.
I still don't believe that anyone was actually protesting Al that day.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford
9/1/16 Lowell
9/2/16 Gilford
9/14/16 Providence
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Maybe they were just mad he didn't look at the parody they wrote :P
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
senorconebra
Be jealous.
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)

Post by senorconebra »

the Dingo wrote:Maybe they were just mad he didn't look at the parody they wrote :P
hahaha
conk or bepis
senorconebra
Be jealous.
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)

Post by senorconebra »

thinking it about it now, they were actually protesting about something to do with keeping Keene clean of drugs, or something along the lines of "no drugs!!!" or whatever. They really went all out, I mean, they had posters and everything
conk or bepis
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Moving to Keene in a few weeks.

I know there's virtually zero chance Al will ever play a theater as small as this again, but I'd just like to say I would not be opposed to this :lookaround: :P
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?