10/19/13 The Brady Theater, Tulsa, OK

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: 10/19/13 The Brady Theater, Tulsa, OK

Post by Elvis »

Did I mention we're in room 327? 8)

Dave
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Can't wait to meet/see everyone! See you all tomorrow!

Today is boring... time to pick out my wardrobe.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

SOGREAT
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Yes, last night was amazing!

We did the UHF tour earlier and Amerah won a couple free lunches from the White River Fish Market (at least, I think that's what it was called), so we went there before the show and ate. After that, we high-tailed it to the Brady and by the time we got there, the line had pretty much disappeared. Before the show we bought a couple merch items; I bought the new hoodie and tour date shirt. The show started pretty much on time, which was awesome and our seats were fantastic!

I love that Al has been doing "You Make Me" every night; it became an instant favorite after I saw it for the first time in 2010. After TMZ, Al told everyone about how it was the last show of the tour, and said that he could describe the way he felt about all the support from the fans and RSU TV in two words: DRUM SOLO!

"Smells Like Nirvana" was the best performance of it I've EVER seen. Toward the end, Al started ramming into Steve and jumping on him, before finally collapsing; I've never laughed so hard at that song before. Skipper Dan was great, but Al's name badge fell off pretty early on in the song, which kind of makes his point to his chest when the song gets to "Skipper Dan is the name" a bit more unintentionally funny. CNR was really cool; Bermuda wore a scarf/handkerchief thing around his neck, which I assumed was an homage to... CNR.

After that, Al did an almost word-for-word replica of the spiel he did a few years earlier, talking about the 25th anniversary of UHF, and decided we deserved a drum solo reprise. Tonight was the first night I saw Al in the Canadian Idiot jacket, and it was awesome. We were really close to Al for Wanna B Ur Lovr, and that was really cool; there was a camera somewhere following Al as he went further into the audience.

The medley was great as usual, and after "Whatever You Like," Al took off the jacket he wore very seductively, haha. During "Ode To A Superhero," Al's harmonica guy pulled out his cellphone and started talking, before having to pull out the harmonica again, he tried handing the phone to Al and shushing him while he was singing; it was great. Oh, and when he pulled the harmonica away the first time, Al's head continued to follow it until they were face-to-face. Amish Pardise was great, for most of the "audience participation," (like the Fat jump or the Amish arm wave) the first several rows were very in-sync. Craigslist was the best ever; Al turned the spoken word segment into a fantastically attitude-filled rant. After "drunkenly" stumbling around, the mic came out the stand and Al continued to play, but as the music started to calm down, Al turned from the audience and began screwing the microphone back into place; a stagehand brought out another stand, but took it back after seeing that Al was content with fixing it himself. Al got VERY close to the edge of the stage whilst on the segway in White & Nerdy, and even though that song is getting kind of dated (if only because of the Myspace bit), it's still pretty much perfect.

Fat was awesome; even close-up the mask is VERY convincing and the costume is awesome. The jam lasted longer than usual, and was pretty different from the ones I heard at past shows; Jim was rocking out! Ruben also went all-out and did some great riffs during pretty much every song. Steve looked at me and smiled several times throughout the show.

As they left, the floor SHOOK beneath us; people were STOMPING their feet, screaming for more! The Saga Begins was great; we got R2D2 and some very funny Storm Troopers. When Al sang "I guess I'll train this boy," he pointed at Darth Vader and gave the audience a very concerned look. Yoda was amazing, and I actually followed along with the chant pretty well. I forgot how amazing the lighting was. Sitting right in front of Jim during it was cool; when they did the portion that looked like they were "cursing" the audience, Jim looked directly at me and pointed. As the show ended, we hung out and ran to the bus; pretty much the whole band hung out, but I didn't really get to talk to any of them. When I got to Al, I told him that he went off with a bang, and said jokingly, "So here's to hoping the next album is here in 2015!" For the life of me, I cannot remember what he said in response; I have no idea why. I got a great picture with Al and said good-bye and we headed out.

Sorry if this was ramble-y and had very weird details; I just wanted to make sure I remembered every little detail I could of one of the absolute coolest shows I've seen.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Great review. Spot on!

Dave
heath

Post by heath »

Thanks for the review! That pretty much mirrors my experience from the show previous to this one. Minus the microphone stand issue; and the "harmonica guy" at our show just looking bored and annoyed without any additional interaction between them; and his Craig's List rant was directed at a place local to Texarkana - which I assume is something he does at every show. I didn't see much "audience participation" other than the Amish Paradise hand wave, but I wasn't really looking for it. I was on the 3rd row at the end of the row (right in front of Jim West) and wasn't really watching what was going on around me. It being my first Weird Al show, I wasn't aware of the audience participation "queues."
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Okay so
This is going to be more like a recount of the entire experience rather than just the concert alone so prepare yourselves.

Amerah and I stayed up rather late Thursday night talking even though we both had some of the earliest flights of the morning to catch on Friday. She ended up going SLC -> DEN -> TUL and I went ABQ -> DAL -> TUL. I had to wait for her for about an hour once I got to Tulsa so I considered taking a nap on this very nice couch at the gate her plane was supposed to deplane from but I ended up staying awake because I was afraid of people taking my stuff when I was asleep. When her plane got there, it actually deplaned at the gate across from the gate the screen said it was deplane from but that's okay. Every time a blond white girl got off the plane I was like "is that her" because sleep deprivation. Anyway, we made it out okay and Mason and his brother picked us up and drove us over to our hotel. Once we got settled in and everything, Amerah and I decided to go explore the hotel (which was being cleaned and under construction at the time but hey). There was this spray bottle with pink cleaning fluid of some kind on the table near the elevator and I thought it said "Bob Odenkirk" but it actually said "DO NOT DRINK." Again, super sleep deprived.
The cleaning lady was trying to come in the elevator with a huge container rolly bin thing but the doors closed on her and Amerah was like "oh no!" and tried to press the open doors button but she actually kept pressing the close doors button without knowing and it was so funny

We explored the lobby and the breakfast area (where they were not serving breakfast at that time) and this is when we found the coffee creamers. Coffee creamers became a big deal on this trip. I had an almond joy earlier that day and I saw an almond joy flavored coffee creamer so I was like "I wonder what this tastes like" and ended up drinking it alone and it was SO GOOD so we took them all. All the almond joy ones at least.
Then we found the pool room down a hallway of paint fumes and we were wondering along the way whether it was a room with a pool or a room with a pool table. It was the former. We didn't have swimsuits or a want to swim or anything but we chilled in there for a while (well actually it was rather steamy because there was a hot tub growling at us too but you know.) Then we saw the attached exercise room and decided to go in there. That was where we spent most of our time before the pizza arrived. We put on Wipeout and thought about recreating the Ok Go video on the treadmills but decided against it. Instead we tried to juggle the almond joy coffee creamers and a koosh ball back and forth to each other. That worked out about as well as you think it would.
Then we had pizza! :bigups: And we chilled with Mason and stuff.
Amer and I joked about going back to the workout room after the pizza but I couldn't feel my legs.

It was about that time that I asked in the Al Gal Fest Con Fest Con 2013 Facebook event group thing if people wanted to get together and what hotel they were at so we drove over to the Fairfield Inn with Apples to Apples and a few other games and sat in the lobby and waited for people. Sara and Peggy and Nancy showed up, but we didn't end up playing any of those games because instead we were trying to fix the issue of the payment of the UHF tour tickets on Saturday so there were a lot of phone calls instead. Sara and Peggy and Nancy wanted to go eat but Mason and Amerah and I had already eaten so they went to go eat and we went back to our hotel for a bit. Everyone decided that we should go to the 8:00 showing of UHF at the Circle Cinema and so we did.

The UHF screening was even better than it normally would have been because Amerah and I were so sleep deprived so we laughed at everything, even things unrelated to the movie. We were also comparing UHF to Breaking Bad the entire time and saying who would be who (Uncle Harvey is Walt, George is Jesse, Big Louie is Gus, the monkey in Raul's apartment is Holly, everyone in Plots R Us is Hank, etc.) We were probably annoying everyone by laughing so much but they didn't seem to mind too much at least. Of course, since pretty much the only people there were WOWAY people, we were all shouting out the lines and stuff and it was a good time had by all. Amerah and I would end up laughing at the most ridiculous things and I would go "hay sexy" at Al at the weirdest times and it was so great. We also took a group picture at the end of the screening, then explored the Circle Cinema afterwards. We took some more pictures and Amer and I took some selfies in some of the posters and we just generally hung out with everyone until Amerah and I decided that we really needed to go to bed so we left.
Before we went to bed tho we finished making the cover of our mix cd for Al. It's called Pixie Juice because we closed our eyes and pointed to words of the artists/songs on the cd, the same reason why the picture is "jukebox my head." And of course our band name or whatever is AAAAAAAAA with nine As (Amerah has 5 As in her name, I have 4.)

The next day we all ended up waking up around 7 or 8 and we played Apples to Apples for a while and put the TV on. After a while I decided to get dressed and stuff. The outfit I picked out for the day and the concert that night was just a blue dress with some space unicorn leggings. A bit different from my usual Weird Al outfits but I guess my excuse could be that I wanted to look nice for the celebration. Yes okay that sounds good.
Mason's brother dropped us off at the Brady Theater for the UHF Tour and we met up with everyone again. We were in the same parking lot as the buses were so that was cool. Steve came out to chill for a while and he was wearing the greatest sweater. Steve's the coolest.
Then we all got on the coach bus for the tour and we thought that Dave wasn't going to be able to go but then he was! So yay~ :up:
We mostly just drove around Tulsa looking at buildings and it was fun. When we got to Raul's apartment there was actually a dog in one of the windows near his, like a real live one, and everyone just got a kick out of it. We didn't really stop to get out anywhere until the cemetery where Plots R Us was but I didn't get out because I really really do not like cemeteries so Amerah and Mason and Sara stayed on with me. The bus drove this really weird way into the cemetery and we were pretty much stuck and we were just backing up for a really long time out of there and at one point tree branches were scratching the windows and Amerah was like "I wish it was night time." Then we got out of the cemetery finally and continued on our way.
They were also doing a trivia thing with questions about UHF and they were giving out prizes like spatulas and little toy poodles. Most of the questions were rather simple but there were one or two toughies in there. When the lady from Channel 8 pulled out some glasses with the sproingy eyes I decided that I wanted them and nobody else was saying they would do it so I did it. My question had a true or false answer and it was "Bob-o the Clown was eating Mrs. Hockenburger's Butter Cookies" and I was like "False, he was eating Yappy's Dog Treats" and so I got the glasses. I've always wanted glasses like those. :#
Then we got out where the UHF tower is and everyone was taking pictures in front of it and taking pictures of Fred (dressed as George (omg i just realized Harry Potter aaaaa)) in front of the tower as well. I was trying to take a selfie in front of it but a bee or a wasp or something landed on my shoulder and everyone ran away from me and I screamed a bit but it flew away so I was able to take the picture. There was also a dead dog in the ditch and everyone cried.
We also ended up going to the REAL Channel 8 TV station (the ABC affiliate for Tulsa (!!!!! because that's my initials haha)) and they took us on a tour and it was so cool. I also got a few coffee creamer shots from them -- they were the plain kind but they were still delicious. They had a real live green screen wall and everything, not just a wall that was painted green or a green blanket hung up. And their chroma keying was top-notch, no spots or anything. And their cameras were HUGE. It was so great.

After Channel 8, we went back to the Brady Theater and stood in line for our meet & greet with Al. Amerah and Mason and I were some of the last few people in line, and the line wasn't that big to begin with either. We considered having Al sign this paper plate that we drew a face on and named Bob Odenkirk because we didn't have anything for him to sign really because we thought we were just gonna chill with him or something, but we didn't end up getting that signed. It was funny to think about though. When we did get up there, Amerah and I went together and she either had him sign her sketchbook or her share of stock in U62 that we all got from Dave, I'm not sure. We decided to take selfies with Al instead of anyone taking pictures of us with him because it was easier (although we both ended up taking pictures of the other with Al anyway). Everyone was giving Al their birthday presents to him and we were like dang we should have brought ours to this instead maybe, so I told Al that we had something for him but we were going to bring it that night and he was like, okay. Kind of embarrassing but I think he was just sleepy. There were a few awkward pauses because I felt like I had to rush but also didn't know what to say and Al wasn't saying anything and I was like "..." but I got through it okay. I took my selfie with him and asked if he would sign my face. He said "If you like" and asked where and I told him wherever was easiest. So he held onto my face and signed my forehead. It was one of the greatest moments of my life because my plan actually worked. I didn't care so much for the actual writing on my head (although that was cool too!) as much as I just wanted to have Al touch my face for a while. He actually like held my head while he was doing it too so aaaaaaaaa

After that we waited in the parking lot for a while for Mason's mom to pick us up. We were going to have dinner at the White River Fish Market (?) because Amerah won two free dinners there in the raffle, because I ended up drawing her card out of the bag even. Amerah and Mason don't eat fish so I was the only one actually eating fish. When we finished, Mason was like, "where are my keys." We went out to the car and discovered that the car had been running the entire time we were in the fish market. Oops.

When we got to the theater, we went to find our seats right away. Amerah and I were right smack dab in the center of the second row. The rows were reeeeeaaally close together so whenever we had to get up from or go back to our seats we were rubbing up against so many people so it was kind of awkward. We decided to go look at the merch and maybe buy some stuff. I haven’t bought merch at a Weird Al concert in forever so it was an interesting experience. It was pretty much just a whole bunch of people crowded together instead of a line and you kinda just had to make your way up to the front eventually. I have a ton of respect for the merch lady/ladies though because that was stressful just standing in that crowd. Can’t imagine having to deal with all those people night after night. Respect.

I ended up getting the shirt with the last few tour dates with Al on the front holding a magnifying glass to his face. Actually I didn’t even know there were tour dates on the back when I got it; I just wanted it for his face. I also got the jacket (with an actual zipper!!) with the Weird Al logo on the front and “’Weird Al’ Yankovic” written on the back. It’s nice and warm and fuzzy and it ZIPS. I thought about getting a bobblehead but I didn’t have enough money for one. Amerah got My New Teacher and Me and that was it. We also got some more pencils!

One of the times we were walking back to our seats, I heard Amerah say something like "I'm your Asian" and walk away from me. I didn't know what was happening so I followed her. It turns out this lady wanted to take a picture of me because I was wearing the chicken hat and Amerah actually said "I'm your agent."

When we got back to our seats we debated switching seats with Mason and his brother since they had aisle seats, but we didn’t think Al would go down that row for WBUL since the stairs were on the other side of the stage. We ended up being proven wrong and he jumped down off stage right by them and we gave them the nastiest looks. xD

The concert itself was fantastic as per usual. Al mentioned how it was a very emotional night because it was the last show of the tour and it was very likely that they wouldn’t be playing most of these songs live again. He also talked about the UHF anniversary and RSU and stuff and it was nice. For the drum solo reprise, he wasn’t entirely sure when Bermuda was done because he kinda just kept going but Al kept trying to be like, you know, “hey that was Bermuda yay” kind of thing but then Bermuda would keep going and Al would be like “oh oops” and back up. Adorablezzzz
Mason pretty much mentioned everything else I guess.

OH BUT

Al was dancing super sexy and it was so great. Like for everything. Like in Party in the CIA where he’s like “We’ve got snazzy suits and ties” he like rubbed his body up and down and I died a lot. Every time I would show my appreciation for Al’s sexiness I think Amer would get kind of embarrassed and it was really funny. Like in Amish Paradise when he sticks datass out at the audience, Amerah knew beforehand and put her hand on my shoulder in a “I know what you’re going to do – don’t do it” kind of way and it was great. She did that on a few different occasions, actually. Now she knows what it’s like to go to a Weird Al concert with me.

When Lasagna was starting, I was like “LOOK AMERAH LOOK AT THE ACCORDION LOOK HOW HE DOES IT WATCH IT WATCH” and then when Jim goes on the mandolin I was watching that intensely too and I think he noticed maybe and he was smilin. Amerah and I were watching the instruments a lot that night. She was very focused on the drums and bass.

Amerah and I also kept comparing the band to One Direction members and it was hilarious. Ruben is Louis. Actually I think that might have been the only one we did. We kept having all kinds of different jokes during the show and that made it an even better experience than it already was.

When Craigslist came on Amerah was like “Oh no.” I’ve never known her to be super outwardly attracted to Al before but this concert kinda brought it out of her a bit I think. When it was over she said that she had to be attracted to Jim Morrison now.
Skipper Dan was amazing as always. I think Al even did some sexy dancing during this one. I think he just did it for all of them. I think Al is just always sexy. Anyway.
So for The Saga Begins , right, BOBA FETT was the first one out. Oh man. And there was also one of those sand monster things? Like not the kind in the pit but like, I don’t know what they’re called. And also R2D2 was there aaaaaaaa
Saga, super great.

YODA

Yoda was so much fun you guys oh man. Amerah and I were doing the chant along with them (except for that one part. You know the part) and it was so great.
Also Sara was sitting right in front of me and she totally got the Yoda solo. I saw Al give her THE LOOK before he did it too so I knew it was gonna happen and I was so happy for her. Having the Yoda solo is so invigorating. And he was giving her the biggest smile!! I died.

The concert was over too fast (as always), but right after Al and the guys left the stage. Oh man oh man oh man. Baby Blue played over the speakers you guys. Amerah and I were freaking out. I cried. So many feels. They like stopped playing it for a few seconds? But that was right when I figured out what song it was and I screamed and jumped up and down and was just generally freaking out at the reference, as you do, then they put it back on.

We chilled with everyone inside for a bit until security was like “do you have passes” and we were like “no bye” and we left. We had to go back to the car real quick to get Al’s gift –the aforementioned mix cd and a Build-a-Bear made in his likeness (which plays the chorus “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction because I am a teenage girl.) Then we went back over to the bus line and Dave waved us over to the group and we chilled again. Amerah and I kept singing Let’s Stay Together by Al Green because we listened to the Obama version earlier that day and we probably annoyed everyone once again but again they didn’t seem to mind *too* much. Amerah and I kept singing and joking and laughing all throughout the wait and it was great. I also had her try to fill in the AL on my forehead with my lipstain but instead she re-outlined it and I was like “oh no” and put the back of my hand against my forehead and it was on there too and so I tried to put it on her chest and she was like NO. Ruben also came over and quizzed Sara and Jeremy and talked about his Kickstarter plans so that was cool.
After a while the line started moving. Fred walked by with Bermuda at one point and so we hung out with them for a bit too until the bus got in the way and we had to keep going.

Eventually, our group made it up to Al one by one. Also one of the security guys was totally flirting with Amerah and me. I talked Sara into getting her forehead signed by Al. When it got to Amerah and me, Amerah went up first and we were planning on talking to Al about Baby Blue but ended up not because he was signing Amerah’s book and we didn’t want to interrupt him. Amerah also had him record something for her vlog so check that out!!
Then it was my turn and my insides went eek.

So I went up to him with the Build-a-Bear box and was like “Hi this is for you” and set it on the step in front of him because idk it felt like a good idea and he was like “Really??” And he was so happy and almost like a happyshock? Like a bunch of people were giving him stuff so I don’t know why he was so surprised but he’s so nice anyway. So I was like “Yeah! Happy birthday” and I wasn’t sure if he was going to open it then or what because he was holding it like he might but then he set it right next to him so I was like, okay now what because I realized that I didn’t have anything for him to sign and I needed to go fast because security and aaaaaaa

So I said “Hey so instead of having you sign something, and this is kind of weird to ask, but could I have a hug?” like looking down at the steps a bit kinda but also at him. And right away he was like “of COURSE” and he stood up right away and leaned over me and squeezed me so hard like way harder than I would have had the courage to squeeze him and he also made this sound in my ear like a happy sighmoanthing like “mmmf” and I died I died I died I died I died
I don’t remember how long the hug lasted or how it ended and I forgot to smell him because I was just so caught up in “omg I’m hugging my favorite person in the world and he just sighed in my ear omg”

Right after the hug I was smiling so much and so was Al and he just kept thanking me for coming out to all the shows (even though the people ahead of me have been to waaayyy more than I have) and said how it was good seeing me although we probably wouldn’t see each other again until sometime next year and he thanked me for the gift and I just kept smiling and nodding and he was so cheery and I love him so much.

After a while I left him and ran over to our group and fangirled a lot about how Al hugged me and everyone was like YAY but I was like YAY the most. I don’t have any pictures from that because my phone was dead and security shooed Amerah away but that’s fine. I can see it when I close my eyes.
Such a great night.
Such a great time with everybody both days.
I love Alfred Matthew Yankovic more than I will ever love any man ever
Until I get married
But possibly even then
Apologies to my future husband
He’ll probably understand.

Oh also Sunday morning when Amerah and I got to the airport we found out that we had the same gate even though she was going out on an earlier flight but it was still cool. Also Dave and Jackie were at our gate too! But then they went to the gate across from ours. Also I think Nancy was on my plane.
The flight attendant on my flight out of Tulsa asked if I was there for the Weird Al concert and told me that her friend had went.
The only reason people go to Tulsa is for Weird Al and then they go home.

These are my pictures from the weekend. It's mostly just pictures of me and Amerah and stuff and there's other people who went who have a lot better pictures of everyone involved but this is what I have.

Thanks for coming out, everyone, and for making Al Gal Fest Con Fest Con 2013 super awesome!!! :D

~Alicia
Last edited by yankochick38 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

MissyMoo38 wrote:Amerah and I also kept comparing the band to One Direction members and it was hilarious. Ruben is Louis. Actually I think that might have been the only one we did.
Now, THIS is a great review!!
Thanks, Alicia and Mason for your extended reviews! :detective:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Best review ever; you totally got all the other details that escaped me. :)

Best night in 2013.

EDIT: Jon, you're welcome! This was the best concert experience I've had so far.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

TMBJon wrote:Now, THIS is a great review!!
PS In case there was any doubt, I meant this sincerely! Just quoting one funny detail among many that I loved reading. I wish more reviews had little bits like this and the stuff Mason mentioned, rather than which coffee shop was mentioned during Craigslist (who cares?????)!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.