Comikaze Expo November 2-3, Los Angeles

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

erkman27
Regular

Re: Comikaze Expo November 2-3, Los Angeles

Post by erkman27 »

I started my Comikaze journey today. OMG I love this con! It has all the fun of Comic-Con International without all the...well, people. Anyway, I got there late so I didn't run into Al. But tomorrow I will be all over all of the Al events as well as promoting my Al-themed web series http://www.facebook.com/EverythingYouKnowIsWrong. You won't want to miss all the goodies this series has in store! Please say hi to me if you see me at the con. I will be dressed as my Amish alter ego 'Jebediah.' (who feeds the chickens of course)
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Would love to hear more about what happened at this event from those who attended...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Saries27

Post by Saries27 »

I saw you at the con, Erkman! I was going to approach you but you turned and walked in another direction and I can't exactly run. I saw the 'everything you know is wrong' and your outfit and said to myself "Either that is a Weird Al fan or it's the most amazing coincidence ever."
Mashed potatoes can be your friend.
Saries27

Post by Saries27 »

I'm finally typing up a little post regarding my experience.

I bought myself a multiday pass and was there every day of the con. Let me just say, I think it's really poorly managed. At least the website is. They had Al scheduled for times when he wasn't there. I was going to approach his table on Sunday after a panel and the schedule had him there at that time. Guess what, I went to the table and he had recently left for the day. I was pretty upset about that because I noticed he didn't get a lot of traffic on Saturday so I thought I'd get a chance to really talk to him on Sunday.
I did get the professional photo op though. It's funny actually. When he saw me he rolled his eyes and asked why I was paying for this. I replied that professional photos are a nice little treat once in awhile. After the photo-op on Sunday I said I'd swing by his table a little later to talk to him but as I stated earlier, that didn't work out. Double sucks.
Anyway, as for everything else.

Al's photo-op schedule was up against really big names like Stan Lee and Bruce Campbell and Elvira so his line was short. I mean really short. I don't know how many showed up Saturday but the line on Sunday had to have been 20 people tops. I also noticed not much activity at the autograph table. I kept my eye out for people I know but I didn't see anybody (except for Erkman but I didn't have a chance to approach him).

I waited two hours at the main stage to get a good spot for Al's Q&A. It wasn't that bad a wait, I got to watch some guys from Medieval Times square off and then Stan Lee took the stage to promote a cartoon. He actually went over his time and cut into Al's time. As a result Al only had a 15 minute Q&A session. They said they're very strict with time which was funny to me because Stan Lee went over. But it's Stan Lee and that's his con, nobody is going to say anything. I was upset that Al's time got cut into but I would never dare complain about that considering who cut into his time!

Somebody asked Al to freestyle something and Al said no (explaining that he can't really do that). I honestly do not remember any other questions. I have a poor memory and that whole weekend was so exciting that it doesn't help! I did hear that it's on Youtube so if you look for it I'm sure you'll find it!
The autograph table had various things for him to sign. His books, bobblehead, prints, albums, etc. Even though he had official photo-ops I do know that Al happily took photos with people at the autograph table.

There was supposedly a UHF screening in one of the panel rooms. It started about an hour before Al's Q&A so I didn't attend. I knew I wouldn't get a good spot for his Q&A if I went to the screening.

The con itself was really fun. I had a great time even if the schedule and planning left me feeling a bit grumpy. If anybody has any specific questions about this weekend I'll do my best to answer!
Mashed potatoes can be your friend.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Just another reason for me to dislike Stan lee
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It does seem like Al was treated a bit like the stepchild of the con.