UHF25 & RSU Public TV Events - Tulsa, OK

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

UHF25 & RSU Public TV Events - Tulsa, OK

Post by yankochick38 »

This deserves a topic all to itself instead of being lost in the main 10/19 thread. :D
I'm totally just going to steal what Mason said though.

"RSU Public TV (a small TV station like U62! But better!) is planning some big hulabaloo for Al's 25th anniversary of filming UHF, so I'll see what I can do about collecting all the stuff we know about that here.

Links:
RSU Public TV Twitter Account
Event Page for all the Tulsa Weird Al-goodness
Al Gal Fest Con Fest Con 2013 (our own personal get-together for the show!)

So basically, a bunch of us WOWAYers are planning some fun stuff for the show, but RSU swooped in with their own huge list of things concerning the anniversary:

- There will be a UHF screening and "My New Teacher & Me!" signing on the 24th of September, the former allegedly featuring Al and some cast members from UHF!
- A location tour on the day of the concert (19th of October) with TBA starting location/time.
- An RSU Public TV telethon on the 5th of October, featuring lots of special guests from the movie and other fun goodies.
- A UHF marathon starting on the 18th of October, as well as a UHF poster aution on the same day.

Also, we're planning on going out to eat before/after the show, so there's that."
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Re: UHF25 & RSU Public TV Events - Tulsa, OK

Post by Alinite27 »

For anyone wanting to do a UHF Tour, here's my listing of that:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=6835 ... ra=ps&z=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A -- Big Edna's Burgers -- Would be interesting to see what is in this location today. It was Billy Ray's Catfish and BBQ when I was there. Everything in this location is exactly like it was in the movie inside of the restaurant. Some outside work has, of course, been done since.

B -- Bowling For Burgers -- RoseBowl Lanes. Closed bowling alley where the spot for Bowling For Burgers was filmed. Can see the outside of the building, still in its original state.

C -- Where The News Set was Filmed -- Just a soundstage set. Not much to see, but you get the location.

D -- Tulsa International Airport (Airport Scenes) -- Where the airport scenes were filmed. It's an airport, still not much to see.

E -- UHF Station, Transmitter -- Empty station lot where U62 was. The transmitter tower is still there, as well as the lot. This was state owned when I was there, but the fence was open. However, I just took a picture of the transmitter.

F -- Spatula City -- Warehouse Market store that was used for Spatula City. Location is still in the same state, however, when I last visited the store, they didn't have any spatulas.

G -- Joey's House of Blues -- This location is now a Southern Hills Sports Bar, but it is in a similar state to the movie.

H -- Channel 8 -- Office building that was used for Channel 8. As you have seen from other tours, still in a similar state to the movie. If you can get permission, and find them when they're open, you can get inside to see the elevator, etc. I haven't been inside.

I -- Soundstage (Wheel of Fish, etc.), Mall -- Now a TV Guide/Dish Network building. Mall that they used to film various scenes like Wheel of Fish.

J -- Dentist Office -- Location that the dentist office scenes were filmed. I've driven by it. Just a set location like the few other places.

K -- Harvey Bilchik's Residence -- Similar state to the movie. Personal residence. May obtain permission to see the inside, etc. But, you at least get the location.

L -- Terri's Apartment -- I have actually been inside here before. Visited the location while it was raining. Steps over the hill were slightly slick, but this was cool. The door was open, so I went inside. Wasn't anything inside, so the apartment wasn't occupied at the time. However, the layout was the same. May need to obtain permission to see this location.

M -- Philo's Workshop -- Jimmy Houston Productions where scenes for Philo's workshop were filmed. Closed when I was there, may talk to those running it for permission.

N -- Crazy Ernie's Dealership -- The location of Crazy Ernie's commercial. Original building is not there, and it just looks like a regular car dealership now, however you get the location.

O -- Spatula City Billboard Location -- Just to drive past where the billboard was. It's obviously not there now, but you get the location.

P -- Plots R' Us Mortuary Service -- Rosewood Chapel Funeral home that was the setting for the home in Plots R Us. They do actually have plenty of free parking. But, no salad bar. In its original state.

Q -- Spatula City House -- Paul Patton's residence. So, a personal residence, however it's still a home. Need to obtain permission, for anything other than outside viewing.

R -- Plots R' Us Cemetery -- Original cemetery, still in its original state, however without the body parts sticking out from the ground. You can look to make sure the fence posts are on the left, so you can tell that you have same vantage point as the commercial.

S -- Raul's Wild Kingdom -- Apartment complex that Raul's Wild Kingdom was filmed. Still in its original state. May need to obtain permission to see anything other than outside. The window was open when I was there.

T -- On Location Work -- Some on location work, such as the fundraiser were filmed here.

U -- City Hall -- Still in its original state, as a church, not a city hall. First Christian hasn't changed a bit, except for the City Hall plaque.

V -- Gandhi II Alley -- Alley is behind the office building. Still in the original state.

W -- Kuni's Karate & Al's Apartment -- Last place, and the closest to the Brady Theater. Still in a similar state to the movie, it's been a tattoo place, as well as, other things. Not a great neighborhood, and the building is not in the greatest of shape. The tree out front grows every now and then. My cousin's law firm is right around the corner, if you get into any trouble breaking into someone's home.
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

should I go down there knowing I might not get in
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

The location tour by RSU TV costs $35 to attend. You can buy tickets for it off their website now.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Yeah, they also have details on the movie marathon. Each showing is 10 bucks from the day before the day of the concert, Noon to Noon.

For the UHF tour, that's pretty expensive. I think it'd be easier to drive around to see the locations, however, if you get to go inside the Bowling For Burgers or Kuni's locations, it may be worth it.
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

any1 else goin to the q&a............. im heading down there tonight
Saries27

Post by Saries27 »

I'll be at the Q&A, Fred. I just got into Tulsa a little while ago.
Mashed potatoes can be your friend.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

We're heading in tomorrow! See you all there!
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

I'm wearing my UHF jacket
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Had a great time at the movie screening. Got to talk to Fred a little bit, but didn't see anyone else there.

They oversold the original screening, so they had it split into three separate theatres. Then, after the showing of UHF, they had the Q&A split into three different sections. Al & UHF Cast Members, Jay Levey, and Gray Fredrickson for 15 minutes apiece.

My theater, theater 1, had Al and the cast first, then Gray, and then Jay. Cast members that were in Al's set were Phyllis Weaver, Thug #3 & his son (Joel Miller), and the girl in the sandbox. They were really interesting to hear some stories from, and see them now.

The guy that moderated our Q&A was John Wooley, who used to work for the Tulsa World newspaper, and is in the Oklahoma Music Hall of Fame. He was very smart and intelligible on the film. If there was a lull in the audience asking questions, he submitted his own, which were always unique and thoughtful.

The most interesting tidbit I think was the story from Gray on how UHF came to Tulsa, and that Dallas and Denver were two of the other locations. It wasn't until they got back to Hollywood that Jay said, "We loved Tulsa!". Which Gray had tried to lean them toward anyway, since he was from the state.

Jay also had some interesting stories on the separate features he had directed and how they compared to UHF. Al's was interesting, as well. He did the "Road Maps" voice from the movie on request, and talked about how UHF was compared to music video ventures. Fred had asked whether the dog from the Twinkie Weiner Sandwich was cooked or cold. Interesting that they were actually serving that at the concession stand.

Fred went to Al's last two Q&A sessions, as well. I asked her if there was anything important that I missed, though, and she said they were pretty normal.

What theaters were others in that had attended? I thought it was interesting in Theater 1, that it seemed many fans there, had either not seen the film before, or hadn't in many, many years. There were around 6 people in the audience in my theater that had been extras in the movie. But, those in the audience, seemed to laugh at scenes, as if they were new to them. Also, no scenes were really shouted out, like a Wheel of Fish is in concert, or anything, which I though was slightly weird.

I got a UHF 25 Commemorative Poster, and had it signed by Al, Jay, and Gray, as well as getting a pic with the three of them in front of other UHF 25 Commemorative Posters. They had a poster contest, with the winner picked by Al. That's the one they were selling, and the other entries created the signing background.

Anyway, it was a great, great time, and really fun to finally see the film in a theater. Especially since that theater was in Tulsa. Very well ran by RSU.