Record Signing @ Amoeba Records 7.18.14

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Record Signing @ Amoeba Records 7.18.14

Post by TMBJon »

I'm going to this!!! Image

Anyone else?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Record Signing @ Amoeba Records 7.18.14

Post by Big Spoon »

Possibly. I have a doctor's appointment that might interfere, but I'm looking into that.
And Peggy
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Tell Al i said hi
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
rangerbob
Occasional

Post by rangerbob »

I live in nj so way jose but ive been lucky enough he did 2 book signings in nj and ive had the pleasure of meeting him many times.
yankochick27
Occasional

Post by yankochick27 »

I just came back from the signing and had an awesome time with my friends tmbjon and MandatoryFun. He was super nice and signed our CDs and Jon's foil. We got posters when we left. I really wish they gave us posters for him to sign, but a free poster is a free poster you know what I mean? It was great.
Her Majesty Queen Newbie Zone
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Had a great time at this record signing. Usually they feel way too rushed!
I went with Drew (MandatoryFun) and Heather (yankochick27), both of whom I work with on The Birthday Boys. We waited in line about an hour or so. Ran into Vikki (like_im_27_again) and Tony Goldmark (FredHuggins) in line. ( :w ) Once we got inside, Perform This Way was playing and by the time we left the album was just finishing. I assume they were playing the albums in reverse chronological order?

Finally got to the front of the line and introduced Al to Drew and Heather. As always I was a bit scatterbrained, but I got to congratulate him on an amazing album and mentioned a few of my favorite tracks. We also brought Al a gift from The Birthday Boys (now on Netflix!), a t-shirt with the show's logo on it and a pint glass that refers to one of the sketches on the show. Last time I saw Al, he said he was a fan of the show. He recognized the reference on the glass immediately and seemed to really appreciate it, which was pretty cool. This was my first time presenting Al with a gift (other than my presence, of course).

I had Al sign a piece of aluminum foil (fooiiill), and it seemed from his reaction like I may have been the first one to ask him for that because he seemed to be amused by the idea. Check it out:

After that I asked him if there was any chance that Mission Statement could be done live, and he said it was pretty unlikely because the band would have to harmonize with him. I also urged him to keep doing polkas, which he did not really comment on. Then Al said, "Can you believe what's happening with the album??" and that was the main focus of the rest of the conversation. He (jokingly) said he couldn't believe he was in a position to potentially be "disappointed" by a #2 debut and said the last he heard was he's still neck and neck with Jason. (Yes, apparently Al and I are on a first-name basis when talking about other musicians.)

When Drew went to get his autograph, he mentioned that he would be editing the Doctor Time episode of Comedy Bang Bang, and Al said something about how it must be pretty good since I've been hyping it up so much (which I've only been doing on this forum, so :w hi Al!!)

No picture yet, as they only let Amoeba staff take pix. They'll be posted tomorrow, so I will be sure to re-post it here once I get the picture. We got a nice group photo of me, Drew, Heather, Al, and the aluminum foil.

Oh yeah and they had these awesome Che posters that they gave out right after meeting Al. We asked several times and they wouldn't let us get that poster signed, which is odd but as Heather said, a free poster is a free poster. Here is that:

Really fun record signing! Al seemed to be in a really good mood (I wonder why!), and he was very talkative. In line, I'd joked to Drew and Heather that I might keep talking to him until Amoeba staff dragged me away, and that's more or less exactly what happened.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

^That about covers it!

It was a great day and Al is very nice. Didn't think I would be as nervous as I was. My voice cracked when I told him I was editing his sketch on Comedy Bang! Bang!
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
yankochick27
Occasional

Post by yankochick27 »

I told him we have the same shoes, since I noticed he wore Yo! Gabba Gabba vans on last night's Conan. He seemed into it, but I'm sure he was just being nice.
Her Majesty Queen Newbie Zone
SirHaakon
Occasional

Post by SirHaakon »

Tony! I wish I had known you were going, it would have been nice to meet up.

Always such a great feeling when a new album drops, and Al was amazing as always. :)
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

Wish I could have had him sign my Che Mandatory Fun poster. I think i'm going to stow it away until I can get him to sign it.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha