Weird Al Concerts For Dummies XD

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted
Awards: Outstanding Achievement in Fan Artistry - Traditional (2015)

Weird Al Concerts For Dummies XD

Post by Sailor-Polka-Moon »

OKAY!

As of this past Friday, I know that I will be on my way to Orlando to see an Al for the very first time in my entire life!! :tacky: :inlove: THANKYOUGODTHANKYOUGODTHANKYOUGOD!!ohandthankyouAlforcomingtoOrlandoeventhoughIknowyouhavenocontroloverwhereyouplaaay!

I created this topic with hope that I'm not the only firstie concert-goer this year, and with a purpose to answer these questions:

1) What's it liiiike?! :inlove:
2) How should I prepare for this momentous event? What can I expect? (especially at Hard Rock Live at Universal, for those who have seen Al there before)
3) Is there any way I can meet Al-- without a VIP pass (d'oh!)? I could only get my regular, reserved-seat tickets, and I've heard about the standing-by-the-bus-after-the-show-and-wait-for-him thing, but I'm not sure how safe it is to do that...especially at night... :ph34r:

What were your experiences? Do you have any words of wisdom for us newbs? 8D!
I'd love to hear your stories!
Last edited by Sailor-Polka-Moon on Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ai to warai no! SAILOR POLKA ☆ MOON!
Tsuki ni kawatte-- tanoshi mazettangeru!

8*11*15 - first concert ever ~ ♡ mandatory world tour 2015 ♡
6*9*16 - second time around ~ ♡ ♡ mandatory world tour 2016 ♡ ♡
Abbeybunny
Die-hard Fan

Re: Weird Al Concerts For Dummies XD

Post by Abbeybunny »

I'm going to my very first concert on June 21. I got the VIP! :D
Just your ordinary run-of-the-mill fangirl

6/21/15: First Weird Al concert!
Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted

AGB;D;\HGAKSLDFJ Abbey you lucky giiiiirl!! Too bad it's not the same one I'm going to, I would've loved to see you or any of you other Yankochickies at Orlando too!

Abbeybunny
Die-hard Fan

Post by Abbeybunny »

It would be cool to see you!
Just your ordinary run-of-the-mill fangirl

6/21/15: First Weird Al concert!
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

Sailor-Polka-Moon wrote: 1) What's it liiiike?! :inlove:
2) How should I prepare for this momentous event? What can I expect? (especially at Hard Rock Live at Universal, for those who have seen Al there before)
3) Is there any way I can meet Al-- without a VIP pass (d'oh!)? I could only get my regular, reserved-seat tickets, and I've heard about the standing-by-the-bus-after-the-show-and-wait-for-him thing, but I'm not sure how safe it is to do that...especially at night... :ph34r:

What were your experiences? Do you have any words of wisdom for us newbs? 8D!
I'd love to hear your stories!
1. It's surreal. It's truly an amazing thing, realizing that hey, this guy that you've been watching on the internet, reading about, he's REAL. It's astonishing.
2.) I haven't seen him at Universal, but I would prepare a little script if you do get to meet Al afterwards. That helped me not pee my pants when I met him. :lol:
3.) I've never done it myself, but i heard that if you stay in the theater, sometimes he'll invite people backstage to meet him (this takes maybe an hour after the show). If that doesn't work, the bus is your best bet. It's not too bad out there.

Well, you've read my Al encounters. ^_^ But one word of wisdom I have is to come prepared (waterbottles are always good), and bring a camera!
Other than that, you're all set! :bigups:
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Yup. wrote:3.) I've never done it myself, but i heard that if you stay in the theater, sometimes he'll invite people backstage to meet him (this takes maybe an hour after the show). If that doesn't work, the bus is your best bet. It's not too bad out there.
I can almost feel awkward and nervous even imagining the waiting. Alone among strangers, feeling like a creep, worrying that he may not show up. Especially if it's cold or rainy outside. So I guess if I had an opportunity to see him, I'd go with a safe bet and buy VIP ticket. How much more expensive are they in comparison to normal ones?
Yup. wrote: But one word of wisdom I have is to come prepared (waterbottles are always good)
If I had to go to a concert (any concert), not only wouldn't I take water, but also wouldn't drink a few hours before the concert. I do that when I go to movies, because otherwhise I have to leave every half an hour and risk missing something :S
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

mellow weasel wrote: I can almost feel awkward and nervous even imagining the waiting. Alone among strangers, feeling like a creep, worrying that he may not show up. Especially if it's cold or rainy outside. So I guess if I had an opportunity to see him, I'd go with a safe bet and buy VIP ticket. How much more expensive are they in comparison to normal ones?
Almost $200 more. Yes, waiting is kinda awkward and weird, but, it becomes worth it.
Yup. wrote: But one word of wisdom I have is to come prepared (waterbottles are always good)
mellow weasel wrote:If I had to go to a concert (any concert), not only wouldn't I take water, but also wouldn't drink a few hours before the concert. I do that when I go to movies, because otherwhise I have to leave every half an hour and risk missing something :S
I was just thinking that it gets hot in the theater. I guess light clothing and a hair tie would be a good substitution too.
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

As far as the show itself, I've seen him 3 times, and the first time my mom took me when I was in Junior High, and, she was NOT a fan, and afterwords, she said, "I'm still not a fan, but he put on an AMAZING performance!" - If that tells you anything :)
Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted

Yup. wrote:
1. It's surreal. It's truly an amazing thing, realizing that hey, this guy that you've been watching on the internet, reading about, he's REAL. It's astonishing.
2.) I haven't seen him at Universal, but I would prepare a little script if you do get to meet Al afterwards. That helped me not pee my pants when I met him. :lol:
3.) I've never done it myself, but i heard that if you stay in the theater, sometimes he'll invite people backstage to meet him (this takes maybe an hour after the show). If that doesn't work, the bus is your best bet. It's not too bad out there.

Well, you've read my Al encounters. ^_^ But one word of wisdom I have is to come prepared (waterbottles are always good), and bring a camera!
Other than that, you're all set! :bigups:

Oohh, thank you, Mia! :flower:

I sure have read your Al encounters and wah! So jealous! <3

A script...ooomg there is no way I could do that. I'd have to memorize it in my head if I dare write one, 'cause I can just SEE myself fumbling and flailing for a piece of paper I stashed in a really obvious pocket or something roflroflrofl. XDD Which would be a dead giveaway of my 'HOLEH BALONEHZ IT'S AL!11' that I don't want him noticing so muh!

I reaaally hope that's happened to someone around here where they just got up and INVITED by him (or a band member) to go meet him!
I've heard that when the VIPs get called, one can blend in with them and sorta weave through as if you're one of them. ;D Has anyone done that?

I'll surely take a camera, except... Hard Rock Live forbids cameras/recording devices inside. ;.; (but I've seen videos on youtube of Al concerts there so whaaaat) I would never want to get kicked out of an Al show just for whipping out a camera, gah. Risky!

Thank you all for your kind words of advice, guys! :flower:

yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Awesome topic! :ttr:

1) A first-time Weird Al concert is like...You've been waiting months, no, YEARS for this, and now it's finally here. You couldn't even sleep last night because you were so excited for this moment right here. The entire day seemed to move by so slowly until now. You're here in this place, surrounded by hundreds of fellow Weird Al fans, who are just as excited as you are, but there's no way that's possible, because this is your first Weird Al concert and you are more excited about this than you have ever been for anything in your entire life. You're shaking from the anticipation as you find your seat and possibly chat with those around you, and maybe consider going to get some merch since you arrived so early. You sit in your assigned seat some more, listening to the music by other artists they play before the show over the speakers, but mostly just texting and tweeting your friends like mad about how friggin excited you are. Finally, it's 7:55, and you can't hardly wait any longer. You're sitting there, counting down the seconds until the concert is about to start. A few minutes later, Fun Zone shoots out of the speakers, and you're somehow even more exhilarated than before. At about 1:14 into the song, the lights go down all the way.....people all around you cheer and you do too. You are prepared for those 16 "HEY"s at the end of the song and pump your fist along. Your insides feel all tingly. The opening video clips come on and finally introduce Al. This is it. This is the moment you've been waiting for your entire life. And suddenly...there he is. He has a smug grin on his face, and maybe one eyebrow raised. He's got the accordion in his hands, pumping out NOW That's What I Call Polka!, and you can't help but have the widest smile on your face. There are tears coming out of your eyeballs - it's so beautiful.

2) You should DEFINITELY get a Twitter account if you don't have one already, and have your real first name on it somewhere. Tweet your own tweets and reply to Al's tweets in the months before the concert, and tweet to him the day of! He does read his @replies, and he has surprised people in the past by knowing who they are (and greeting them by name!) just from Twitter: the ones I know of being Alexis and myself. So tweet tweet tweet!!

Also, if you want to pick out a special Weird Al Concert Outfit, you should start gathering up your items now! I've gone as different song costumes in the past like the end outfit from You're Pitiful (my personal favorite, and definitely an outfit to throw yourself into the Extrovert Pool!), and I've worn my trusty Yankochicken(TM) Hat almost every time. I feel like it's fun to dress up for the concerts, but you don't have to! :gaga: (I mean, when else are you going to get the opportunity to wear a Spongebob shirt with fishnets and a tutu?)

Above all else, you can expect to enjoy yourself, and if you tweet to Al afterwards, you can expect that he'll read it and know how much you enjoyed yourself too. :accordion:

3) Usually, from my experience, if you try to stay in the seating area after people have mostly gone out, security will ask you if you have a pass or not. I've never had one, so I've always been honest and left and stood by the bus instead. One time, at a concert fellow yankochick Elleanna and I went to in Texas, a guy with a backstage pass gave his to us after he was done. If there's one thing that will test your friendship with a fellow yankochick, it's deciding which of you gets a backstage pass. I ended up letting her have it, because I AM A GOOD FRIEND, DANG IT. Al didn't come out after VIP people that time either. Every other time, he'll do tour bus meets, depending on who's there and where they're supposed to be the next night. Knowing the kind of person Al is, he might feel a bit more guilted into coming out for tour bus meet and greets for the people who didn't have $265 to spend just to be guaranteed to see him after the show. I don't know what kind of venue Hard Rock Live Orlando is, but as long as the buses aren't behind locked gates and they didn't park the bus in a way that would have people standing in the middle of the street, you should definitely try your luck at the buses after the show! Especially if you see a bunch of people already standing there - that's usually a good sign. If it's only a handful of people, he may or may not come out (just from my experiences), but if you've been tweeting him and he sees you on the way to the bus, he might say a personal goodbye to you (just from my experience 8) )!

If/when you DO see him at the bus after the show, he will be nice to you no matter what. If you're shy and awkward with him, he will always do his best to help you out and talk you through talking to him! I've seen people break down into tears when meeting him, and he's comforted them and hugged them and helped them calm down. I know the security standing right behind you is freaking you out and making you feel like you don't have very long with your one chance with Al before they start pushing you along, but as long as you focus on Al (and ask for a hug - it's worth it!!), you will be fine I promise! Depending on the venue/security, they may or may not let you take a picture with him, though, but from my experience, nowadays they'll usually let you at least take a selfie with him, unless the security is more buttholey than usual.

People have even taken some of their fanart to give to Al....! :F

If you have an iPhone/Android/some other type of smartphone rather than just a camera/video camera, they can't really take that away from you - you're best off taking sneaky pix & videos on a smartphone. :foil: I think the band is mostly okay with pictures like that now anyway. We all have cell phones, so come on, let's get real. (T)
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia