Question about Al's bus meet&greets prior to Mandatory Fun

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Bozarth
Occasional

Question about Al's bus meet&greets prior to Mandatory Fun

Post by Bozarth »

I'm a lifelong Al fan, but only saw him for the first time last month.

How did Al handle previous bus meet and greets? I see that he took photos. Did he have a limit of items? Was it rushed?
6/8/15 - Lancaster, PA
7/31/15 - Philadelphia, PA - w/ M&G
8/30/16 - Wilmington, DE
10/30/16 - Washington DC - UHF Live Commentary by Al & Emo
3/16/18 - Atlantic City, NJ
3/18/18 - Lancaster, PA
7/12/19 - Philadelphia, PA w/ M&G
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Re: Question about Al's bus meet&greets prior to Mandatory F

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Bozarth wrote:I'm a lifelong Al fan, but only saw him for the first time last month.

How did Al handle previous bus meet and greets? I see that he took photos. Did he have a limit of items? Was it rushed?
Dependent on the amount of people, it was never really rushed. I believe that you only got one thing signed, and then afterwords, you were able to take a picture with him. Out of the three times I met him, two of them were before MF. Although it was more rushed this time around, you still had time to talk to him while he was signing, so I think it was just as enjoyable as other meet and greets.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Muppetboy09 wrote:you still had time to talk to him while he was signing
Misread that as "while he was singing". I was confused for a good thirty seconds.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

The meet and greets on this tour definitely seem far more rushed than they were in previous tours. When I met Al on previous occasions, even though the lines were long, I was able to hand Al the item I wanted signed, and I got to have a short conversation with him. This time around, security seemed far more strict, and they weren't really allowing any face time with Al. Despite all of that, we're still insanely lucky that Al does these bus meet and greets at all. It's tremendously kind of him to take the time, after having performed for two exhausting hours, to come out to the bus and sign autographs for long lines of people.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Als walking a fine line. He's always done the bus meets, and he obviously wants to continue it, but he also has to hold back a little value for the people who paid for the meet.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

The first time I met Al, there was about a 2 hour wait until he came out after the show. He sat on the steps of his bus and the security informed us that we could only have one item signed and that we could not pose for pictures WITH Al; however, we could get pictures OF him. Depending on how he's feeling after the show, he'll usually come out afterwards, but the wait is always worth it. He didn't come out after the Keswick 2011 show (pre-Alpocalypse tour), but at least it gave us forum folks time to hang out and get photos with each other, plus Steve came out and chatted for a bit.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

The only reason he didn't come out at the Keswick that night was he was finishing the editing on the PTW video. I had backstage passes and didn't get to see him

Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

minnick27 wrote:Als walking a fine line. He's always done the bus meets, and he obviously wants to continue it, but he also has to hold back a little value for the people who paid for the meet.

what are the differences between the paid meet and greets and the meet and greets he's doing after that?
taste is only something if it is yours.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

The paid ones are guaranteed to meet him, the bus is a gamble. If he has time, isn't tired and the crowds not insane, he may stay and sign

WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

minnick27 wrote:The only reason he didn't come out at the Keswick that night was he was finishing the editing on the PTW video. I had backstage passes and didn't get to see him
I remember that! But he didn't even do the backstage meet and greet? That seems unusual...