Why does Al not want to tour in Queensland - Australia?

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

the8thark
Occasional

Why does Al not want to tour in Queensland - Australia?

Post by the8thark »

I have seen the new Australian tour dates:
http://weirdal.com/tour/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Almost very state is covered. Well every state with enough people to be viable and some that don't have enough like WA and Tas. But he does not have any Queensland dates. Does anyone know why this is?
I would so go to his show if there was a Queensland date. But since there is not I most likely will have to miss out on this tour. Still I wonder why he is skipping Queensland (Australia's 3rd most populus state) this time round. Does anyone know why?
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: Why does Al not want to tour in Queensland - Australia?

Post by Yankomaniac »

Most likely because the venues he would play were booked already, on the available date he would have been passing threw so it just wouldn't have worked out. There are quite a few Australian dates and it's more surprising he isn't doing Brisbane, there again, if it doesn't work out with the touring schedule, they can't do it. How far would you have to travel to the closest gig he is doing in Australia, if you don't mind me asking?
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
the8thark
Occasional

Post by the8thark »

I live close enough to Brisbane. So I'd have to travel interstate to Sydney or Melbourne.
I have seen him once a few years back at QPAC when he did a show in Brisbane. It's just strange he'd tour all over Australia and not do Brisbane this time.

Thanks for the reply.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

There might also have something to do with not enough people coming to a Brissy show to justify touring there. I feel like somebody said back on the SOL tour that the only show that wasn't sold out was Brisbane. That could be a complete fabrication and I'm too lazy to check.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Hordriss

Post by Hordriss »

It's probably not down to Al's own choice. Artists have less input than you think when it comes to which venues they play on tour. I was reading something about this very subject a little while back, and it's all down to whichever venues are happy to put on the show.