Good opening songs for concerts

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Ratbert197
Obsessed

Good opening songs for concerts

Post by Ratbert197 »

I think UHF would make a great opener for the concert. It has a nice strong beat. what songs do you think would make a great opening song for the Poodle Hat tour?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I would lov to see a return of the shiny jacket and SYBG.

Mike
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Re: Good opening songs for concerts

Post by Jigawatt »

QUOTE I think UHF would make a great opener for the concert. It has a nice strong beat. what songs do you think would make a great opening song for the Poodle Hat tour?

This is actually something that has so far kept me from putting together my own theoretical set list for the upcoming tour in the Set Lists thread. Gump has made a great opening song for two tours now but it does seem like it might be time for something new. I was thinking maybe It's All About the Pentiums, because the music rocks and stuff. I really think it should be a nice strong beat (like you said) but in a way UHF almost seems too slow to me to start off the show.. but that's just me. :)

Adrian
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I was thinking maybe It's All About the Pentiums, because the music rocks and stuff. I really think it should be a nice strong beat (like you said) but in a way UHF almost seems too slow to me to start off the show.. but that's just me. :)

Adrian

Well, I kinda doubt he would do It's All About the Pentiums as the first song. Here's why. One thing has remained consistent in Al's shows all along. The first several songs are done one after another, with Al in a Hawaiin shirt and plain pants. As the concert moves along, he starts performing songs with more complex costumes and props, with short video bits between songs. Then, after the medley, comes the really big productions like "Bedrock Anthem", "Smells Like Nirvana", and "Fat." Followed of course by the Star Wars encore. Also, the first couple songs are always relatively short, so as to make it feel like the show is moving along quickly. That rules out "UHF!" I think it's a safe bet that this format will remain. Having said that, the opening number will most likely be something that doesn't require special costumes or props, and is relatively short!

Possible opening songs:

Since You've Been Gone

Gump (I think this one works very well as an opening)

My Balogna

George of the Jungle (I doubt it!)

Bob

Polkamon

This Is The Life
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

Probably won't happen, but I'd love to see Cavity Search return!

-Shelley
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Off topic, but I LOVE your avatar Shelley!

Mike
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

Thanks Mike! It's from when we saw Emo here in Columbus in 2001, he was posing with various members of our party for pics afterwards. He is such a great sport!

-Shelley

whose VHS copy of UHF now sports, "To Shelley & Mike, sorry for not being in this more. Your only living pal, Emo. (Joe early is my wife's nickname for me too!)"
Jigawatt
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Moderator: 2010
Former Multi-Time Best Avatar (Non-Photo): 2003-2009
Best Avatar: 2015

Post by Jigawatt »

Well, I kinda doubt he would do It's All About the Pentiums as the first song. Here's why. One thing has remained consistent in Al's shows all along. The first several songs are done one after another, with Al in a Hawaiin shirt and plain pants.

That's actually the one reason I was unsure about having it as an opener, because otherwise it's fine. That's why Gump has made such a great opener for two tours... its short, and it rocks out. I don't think it's as consistent as you make it out to be though--if I remember correctly he opened the Deep End Tour with Addicted To Spuds and did not wear the hawaiian shirt and plain pants for it. Although I think I prefer him opening the show with the hawaiian shirt... just feels right. :)

Adrian
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

-Shelley
whose VHS copy of UHF now sports, "To Shelley & Mike, sorry for not being in this more. Your only living pal, Emo. (Joe early is my wife's nickname for me too!)"

Haha! That's TOO funny!

Anyway, I think Al could open with PATLC, or even Horoscope as he did

at OC. This is the Life would be great, if Al wanted to go back to the vaults, or maybe open with a polka.

I'm not real happy about Al having to do CP with all that heavy wool homeless shelter-type clothing in the summer heat & humidity, though. That's going to get very uncomfortable. :huh:
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

QUOTE It's from when we saw Emo here in Columbus in 2001, he was posing with various members of our party for pics afterwards. He is such a great sport!

Oh, that's polkariffic! Emo came out here in February, but I sadly couldn't go because it was at a 21 and over club. They served liquor there, so no 18 year old me. :(

One day I'll get to go to that comedy club. Just a couple more years.

QUOTE I'm not real happy about Al having to do CP with all that heavy wool homeless shelter-type clothing in the summer heat & humidity, though. That's going to get very uncomfortable.  

Yeah, but the Fat suit has to be hotter. I have no doubt those Jedi robes are heavy too. Poor Al.

I would look forward to seeing Horoscope as an opener again like at OC. That was pretty nifty. Not to mention, I favor my part of the horoscope in that song. ;)

-CindyBob