Good opening songs for concerts

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

I think Melanie would be a great opener. It would be great because the song starts off with only Al's voice, nothing else. Think about it, everyone is making small chit-chat when all of a sudden the lights go out and over the speakers we hear Al's voice "Melanie. What can the problem be? Sweet Melanie, why wont you go out with me?" Then Bermuda does that little drum thing and they hit the stage with the lights to find the whole band is on stage and the song continues.

I've only been to one Al concert, so if this has been done already, don't yell at me.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Well, Melanie hasn't been an opener. It's been played in concert from the Bad Hair Tour and was played right before OMM at OC.

-CindyBob
OneNote
Occasional

Personally

Post by OneNote »

I think for an opening of the new tour, he should do Genius In France. 9 minutes of oddness.

It's so suitable for an Al show. I doubt he'd do it, it being a difficult number, but hey... a man can dream :D
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

I highly doubt it. Al was qouted as saying he can't do Albuquerque on stage unless its the last song because then his voice would be to sore to do anything else. This is also the reason he recorded Albuquerque at the end of all the recording sessions. GIF is likely to be the same way. And check the recording dates for GIF. They spent the entire session recording GIF (on the March the 27th actualy :)). If it takes one full day to record it, I doubt they can do it on one try on stage. One more thing, Bermuda said they did it in sections. I think he said GIF has 18 edits in it. Ok, I'm done now
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I highly doubt it. Al was qouted as saying he can't do Albuquerque on stage unless its the last song because then his voice would be to sore to do anything else. This is also the reason he recorded Albuquerque at the end of all the recording sessions. GIF is likely to be the same way. And check the recording dates for GIF. They spent the entire session recording GIF (on the March the 27th actualy :)). If it takes one full day to record it, I doubt they can do it on one try on stage. One more thing, Bermuda said they did it in sections. I think he said GIF has 18 edits in it. Ok, I'm done now

Bermuda said in the Bermuda chat recording the song atually only took 3 1/2 hours or somethin. It did take a very long time to mix however.
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

Did he?

*Goes to check the chat transcript*

Oh yah my bad :satisfied:
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

no problem ;)
Smells Like a Username
Occasional

Post by Smells Like a Username »

Well, Since You've Been Gone would be a perfect opener, except I don't know how it would be done. But if they do somehow find away, it would be cool if it went from the "heeeeeeeerrrrreeee" and then the lights go out and quickly go back on as Gump begins.

But sadly, I've never been to an Al concert, so I don't really know much about it. The one in Philly in July will be my first time.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Since You've Been Gone

Post by Elvis »

Well, Since You've Been Gone would be a perfect opener

It was the opener on The Bad Hair Tour. Al would come out on stage alone in a shiny silver coat (no, not the Pentiums one) and the band would make it's way to stage at the end of the song and start right up with "Gump."

And in case you're wondering who did the background vocals, they used the karaoke track from the "Gump" single.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

There's more than one Silver Suit? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!