How to classify The AlCan Tour...

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

How to classify The AlCan Tour...

Post by RyanHippFTW »

While the Bad Hair Tour is the first tour to 'officially' have two legs separated by year ('96/'97), can it be safe to call the AlCan Tour the '95 leg of the Alapalooza tour?

Consider how the setlists for each tour are almost identical aside from "Headline News" being moved from the encore to before "Generic Blues" and the addition of "Since You've Been Gone". Also, the video clips weren't altered. And wasn't the whole purpose of the AlCan Tour to cash in on the smash success of Alapalooza (as well as to promote GH2 and PR, but the later portion of the '94 tour essentially did this as well).

BTW, for those who haven't done the research, by the end of the '94 tour, it essentially had the setlist for '95. At some point during '94, Al and the band decided to get rid of "Frank's 2000" TV", move "Livin' In The Fridge" to the medley before "Eat It", and put the then unreleased "Headline News" into the encore before "Yoda". As to why this was done, I do not know.

So, tell me, do you think the '95 Alaska/Canada tour should essentially be consider a leg of the Alapalooza tour?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: How to classify The AlCan Tour...

Post by TMBJon »

Sure, why not. Classify it.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

It's little random, pointless obsessions like these that give Al fans a bad name...
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Why would it give fans a bad name? They're interesting discussion...which are pretty much all opinion anyway. Doesn't hurt to discuss stuff like that...
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

Seems reasonable enough if the facts are true, which they seem to me.
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

You show me someone who never obsesses over minute details of a passionate hobby (or if they're lucky, career) - details that any novice of said obsession would consider "random" and "pointless" - and I'll show you a drab, gray, dull, wretchedly smileless existence of unending "Meh." Those who can only mock the obsessions of others, who know not the pleasure of such excitement - THOSE are the ones I pity.

Damn right the AL-Can tour is just the (slightly) international second leg of the Alapalooza tour. I'm just surprised it took you this long to figure that out.
Last edited by FredHuggins on Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Kristine wrote:It's little random, pointless obsessions like these that give Al fans a bad name...
Luckily for everyone, the circle of folks among whom Weird Al fans have a bad name are not reading this thread.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

I don't even know how we could get a good name with those people. Nor would I feel like trying if I did. I think I'd rather do something pleasant, like eat a sandwich.
Interrobang
Die-hard Fan

Post by Interrobang »

The Alapalooza Tour and the Al-can tour did have very similar setlists.

I want to take into account that the two tours where about four months (and a 1/3) months apart, and that the Al-Can tour lasted less than two months. That being said, I think that the Alapalooza Tour was successful enough that the band decided to tour for another month and a half. However, after 4+ months since the officially announced "end" of the Alapalooza tour, I think it was too late to still use the name, so they called this additional month and a half the Al-Can tour.

So, I view the Al-Can tour as the extra month and a half in response to the Alapalooza tour's popularity, but as technically separate due to the four months between them.
We're gonna yodel like it's 1999!

You weasel-faced dog boy!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Sounds reasonable to me.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325