Fancy Parody - Song Thread

Moderator: Moderators

Skippy
Addicted

Re: Fancy Parody - Song Thread

Post by Skippy »

There's a difference between Frozen and Star Wars, Jurassic Park, and Forrest Gump. I haven't seen it. So while you make a good point, I hope this isn't the case. I should also point out that there have been a lot of really successful animated/kids movies over the years, and Al hasn't touched one of them. I actually think the song has been more popular than the movie.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Not 100% related, but Todd In The Shadows' latest review is of Fancy. Getting me even more excited for the parody.
And Peggy
Moneybags
Regular

Post by Moneybags »

Last night was the first time I listened to "Fancy". I'm really excited to see what Al does with it. That being said, I've noticed that a number of rap parodies ("It's All About The Pentiums", "White & Nerdy" and "Another Tattoo" come to mind), Al's versions of the songs have been shortened to a degree (particularly with "Another Tattoo", where it seems like most of the original song is missing entirely). Is anyone else figuring that the second verse of "Fancy" is going to get cut out entirely? Or do you think he'll shorten it or -- fingers crossed -- leave it at its original length?
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Well, the song itself is only a little over 3 minutes. He can't cut too much out.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I'm betting he'll cut part of the end where she repeats herself - part of the "Who dat? Who dat?" part. But hopefully that's it. It was very disappointing when he trimmed "Ridin'" and "Nothin' on You".
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Definitely upset how much those songs were trimmed. Another Tattoo was trimmed to the point where it could almost entirely fit in the medley.
And Peggy
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I've always been disappointed when he cuts down a song for the parody. I don't mind trimming redundant musical interludes, or even a chorus--in fact in most cases such trims would even improve the original song--but I feel short-changed when he trims an entire verse out of the parody. "Another Tattoo" and W&N in particular could have easily mined more tattoo and nerd jokes with a third verse. REALLY hope he goes the distance with "Fancy", and I think he will since a) it's the lead single, and b) it's a short song to begin with.

The time trimming a verse was OK was with "The Saga Begins". Those were just the right number of verses to cover the plot of Episode I, and "American Pie" has always been too damn long, anyway.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Bruce the Duck wrote:I'm betting he'll cut part of the end where she repeats herself - part of the "Who dat? Who dat?" part.
Really? That's one of the parts I'm most looking forward to hearing how he handles! (It has all the "I-G-G-Y" spelling business in it...he's gotta cover that!)
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

No, don't misunderstand. I think he'll include that part, I just think that he might cut the second half of it.

The lyric goes:

"[Outro:]
Who that, who that, I-G-G-Y
That do that, do that, I-I-G-G-Y
Who that, who that, I-I-I-G-G-Y
Blow

Who-who-who-who that, who that, I-G-G-Y
That do that, do that, I-I-G-G-Y
Who that, who that, I-I-I-G-G-Y
Blow
"

If he cuts anything it will be most likely be the part in bold. His habit is usually to cut repetitive parts at the beginning or end of a song. If he cuts much else, we're looking at an extremely short lead single. But then, "White and Nerdy" was cut and went on to be commercially and critically one of his most successful hits to date.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Perhaps. I guess he could do that if he gets the point across the first time. I could forgive that, as long as we get all 3 verses.