Foil

Moderator: Moderators

JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Foil

Post by JEDM »

JEDM wrote:More silly speculation: What are the odds that this might be "Roar" by Katy Perry? :think:
mrmeadows wrote::wacko:
Told ya it was silly. A lot of people thought TMZ was "Teenage Dream", but it wasn't even a Katy song... We won't know for sure until we hear it one way or another. :)
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

JEDM wrote:
JEDM wrote:More silly speculation: What are the odds that this might be "Roar" by Katy Perry? :think:
mrmeadows wrote::wacko:
Told ya it was silly. A lot of people thought TMZ was "Teenage Dream", but it wasn't even a Katy song... We won't know for sure until we hear it one way or another. :)
TMZ for "Teenage Dream" actually was a solid guess. The song was hugely popular and TMZ fit perfectly within the chorus of "Teenage Dream".

"Roar" and "Royal" - Doesn't fit at all.
santidejr

Post by santidejr »

Isn't that how they make meth? I smell breaking bad parody here.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

santidejr wrote:Isn't that how they make meth? I smell breaking bad parody here.
:lol: That would be awesome! My avatar approves.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Bruce the Duck wrote:"Royal" and "Foil" rhyme. They both are two-syllable words.
Honest English as a Second Language question: HUH? Am I pronouncing something wrong? Foil ([foil])is one syllable according to dictionary.com and Royal ([roi-uhl]) is two with an extra schwa before the l. They neither rhyme nor are vaguely similar inside my head. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Foil is pronounced like Royal or Oil. Two syllables! :online:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

AlejandraDD wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote:"Royal" and "Foil" rhyme. They both are two-syllable words.
Honest English as a Second Language question: HUH? Am I pronouncing something wrong? Foil ([foil])is one syllable according to dictionary.com and Royal ([roi-uhl]) is two with an extra schwa before the l. They neither rhyme nor are vaguely similar inside my head. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!
It could be a matter of dialects. I'm from the Midwest and I've always heard and said "foil" as [foi-uhl].
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Unless you're from the South, in which case both have one syllable.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

In many parts of the US, the diphthong in "foil" and "oil" is pronounced as two syllables.
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Dunno man, I take dictionary.com very seriously, and it says one syllable with no alternate pronunciation :P
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009