To Spoil Or Not To Spoil?

Moderator: Moderators

spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Re: To Spoil Or Not To Spoil?

Post by spmahn »

I really don't understand the whole "spoilers" argument. It's music, it's not a narrative, you enjoy it because it sounds good, there's no secret ending to ruin, no major climax to expose, it's just a song.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

It isn't really an argument, it is just a matter of preference on how you would like to hear the album.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

spmahn wrote:I really don't understand the whole "spoilers" argument. It's music, it's not a narrative, you enjoy it because it sounds good, there's no secret ending to ruin, no major climax to expose, it's just a song.
That is true for most musical acts. I love Aerosmith, but I don't care about hearing samples and "ruining" the songs. But with Al, the enjoyment is as much for the jokes as it is for the music, and many of us feel the jokes would be ruined if we read them first before hearing them.

Also, some of Al's songs (likely JPE) are narratives.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I''m hoping the leaked songs hold out long enough that I can hear "Handy" for the first time live at The View taping.

I don't like reading lyrics before hearing the song, so I will skip over those posts. I did enjoy hearing SOL for the first time as a full album, and I didn't like the internet leaks aspect of "Alpocalypse" where we heard one song at a time, so If a full song gets leaked, I'll probably hold off, unless it's the full album. Saying that though, for PH, I listened to the 30-second clip of CP that leaked and it made me want to hear the song more, so if 30-seconds of "Handy" leaks more than a day or two before July 15, I'll probably cave. :P

Dave
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Man, i listened to that Couch Potato snippet at least a dozen times a day
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

As did I. The best part was that it started to fade out right after Al said the word virgin, so eveyone was all up in arms about why he suddenly started singing about virgins. I'm hoping the 30 second clip that leaks this time also fades out in a controversial way.

Dave
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

Elvis wrote:As did I. The best part was that it started to fade out right after Al said the word virgin, so eveyone was all up in arms about why he suddenly started singing about virgins. I'm hoping the 30 second clip that leaks this time also fades out in a controversial way.
"I'm so handy! Have you seen my caulk...?"
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

And Peggy
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

yeah, to me the 30 second snippets are basically just "sneak previews" to whet our appetite for the full song. They rarely give away any real jokes, but give us an idea of maybe what KIND of song it will be, particularly for the more cryptic originals. So I guess they are spoilers in that regard, but they don't give enough away for me to want to avoid them. They just get me even more amped for the full release!
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

If it were to leak online tomorrow, I'd listen. Do I feel bad? No.

I buy everything Al releases, sometimes twice over. I've all his albums on cassette and cd, and they're on my iPod. I still plan on purchasing this on the 15th regardless. I'll still have the physical cd aspect.