My Own Eyes

Moderator: Moderators

Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Re: [spoiler][lyrics] My Own Eyes

Post by Well, Well, Well »

as crazy and funny as al's lyrics usually are, "Dick's Automotive" is far superior in my opinion.

as far as the foo fighters, I think they are one of those bands that have got progressively worse with each album that they release, with a few exceptions. I think this is probably one of the weaker songs on the album because it seems to parody the style of recent Foo Fighters (a bit more like nickelback :vomit:). I would say their best two albums are the self-titled and Colour and the Shape. But they've had some great hits following those releases.

at this point I don't hear any direct song references but i'll have to listen closer.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

gtrmu wrote: If you're going to get into FF, as a fan let me say The Colour and The Shape is the best place to start.
Second this. Pretty close to the sound of "My Own Eyes" too. The first album is quite different from the others, sound-wise, being that it was just Dave (well, 99% Dave.) Still good, but for someone new to FF, not really the best place to start.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Well, Well, Well wrote:
at this point I don't hear any direct song references but i'll have to listen closer.
I think the beginning is going for "All My Life."
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

yeah I can see that now. the music starting at 1:57 sounds familiar, maybe something from There Is Nothing Left to Lose...
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Well, Well, Well wrote:yeah I can see that now. the music starting at 1:57 sounds familiar, maybe something from There Is Nothing Left to Lose...
Spoiler:
That tune is the exact same as the one music right before "Candy Shop" in "Polkarama."
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

wtf that doesn't make any sense.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Well, Well, Well wrote:wtf that doesn't make any sense.
But it is. Go listen to it. It might just be an example of Al accidentally copying himself.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

Bruce the Duck wrote: But it is. Go listen to it. It might just be an example of Al accidentally copying himself.
Well, that's "Slither" by Velvet Revolver, so maybe he used that riff in "My Own Eyes" for some reason, or maybe it's just a coincidence.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Oh, is it? I thought that part was his own - from the "Nina Bobina Polka." I'm not very familiar with "Slither.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

they're definitely similar, but it'd we weird if al consciously used a velvet revolver riff in a foo fighters style parody.