Re: Tacky

Post by Grom »

Because of Mellow Weasel.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Burger
Regular

Post by Burger »

algonacchick wrote:I think I missed something. Why are we talking about monsoons and pixie sticks?
Because we're tacky! :tacky:
Currently serving one year in grammar school for word crimes
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

algonacchick wrote:I think I missed something. Why are we talking about monsoons and pixie sticks?
Sorry about that :lol:
Burger wrote:A Monsoon is a really heavy period of rain. I'd hate to be stuck in one.
Oh, that makes more sense. Wikipedia was a bit unclear.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ah, so you were just mentioning other things that you looked up when you looked up name dropping? Okay.

There is a woman who takes issue with the line "bring along my coupon book whenever I'm on a date". She doesn't think that's tacky.

In Which I Fight With Weird Al Yankovic
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

algonacchick wrote:There is a woman who takes issue with the line "bring along my coupon book whenever I'm on a date". She doesn't think that's tacky.
As a frugal (yay, I learned jet another word! :D ) person myself I don't think that's tacky too. If you happen to have coupons for a place that you're taking your date, why not to use them? Especially when someone with lower income (or Lithuanian average income) rarely eats out so a date can be the only occation to use those coupons :)
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I can understand that, but have you seen those coupon books? Some of them are pretty big. Like I mentioned on the page, I don't get to go out much, anyway. Nothing wrong with being frugal, but using a coupon every. single. time. might be a little tacky.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

algonacchick wrote:I can understand that, but have you seen those coupon books? Some of them are pretty big.
No, I haven't seen a coupon book. I just know those coupons pizza places and alike put on the other side of their advertisement fliers. I imagined "coupon book" refers to whatever way is used to organize such flyers in orderly way by their owner, and normally people don't have many of those. I guess there's some cultural difference here again. :) . It would definitely be tacky for a person with coupons to insist that you take something that has a discount with coupons (again I don't know how your coupons work, but ours are for specific dishes), instead of using a coupon IF you choose something with a discount.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Usually, the coupons offer a percentage off the price of your meal, or some are Buy One, Get One Free.

Here is an example of the coupon book I think Al is talking about:

Entertainment Coupon Book

I remember selling these in high school as a fundraiser for marching band. They used to be not as tall, but thicker, so probably still the same amount of coupons. You could save on theater tickets and other things besides meals.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I agree that I don't really think the notion of using a coupon on a date is tacky, but bringing along one of those Bible-sized Entertainment Books on a date would most definitely be tacky. Cut the coupon out before you go.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Exactly. Pick out where you want to go, and bring the coupon, not the whole book.

So awesome!

Al Team #325