First World Problems

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: First World Problems

Post by TMBJon »

Pharrell is just featured on Blurred Lines. It's not his song. I didn't want to have to post that all the other times it was mentioned because I know it's going to get bogged down into this whole thing of "well he produced it so technically" or whatever. But it's still a Robin Thicke song. That's the artist. He isn't doing two Pharrell songs. Just like if Get Lucky is in the polka, that's still a Daft Punk song.
The fact that it's even being discussed is just evidence of how pervasive Pharrell has been over the last few years, and therefore how deserving he is of being represented two or three times on the album. But you can't say there are two Pharrell parodies. That's just disingenuous.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

I was listening to "Summertime Sadness" just now, and I thought "hey, this would be an appropiate style for a song about the first world problems!". You know, Lana being a rich girl looking all sad for no apparent reason. Although I don't know how Al could pull it off, as her style is mainly expressed through her voice.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Tommy James and the Shondells were parodied twice on the same album also.

Dave
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Well, technically no - one was a parody of a Billy Idol cover, one was a parody of a Melanie cover.

Not that he hasn't flat out doubled up before - Soul Asylum gets two tracks on BHD (Syndicated Inc. and The Night Santa Went Crazy), while Alapalooza has two Peter Gabriel style parodies.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

TheLazenby wrote:Well, technically no - one was a parody of a Billy Idol cover, one was a parody of a Melanie cover.
You mean Tiffany?

Anyway, that was just a ruse. I'm really replying to thank you for your work on the Ultimate Parody List, which has been an invaluable tool as I try to put together my timeline project.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Spoiler:
Yeah, this is the song Patton Oswalt was talking about. It begins almost the exact same way as "Monkey Gone to Heaven", and Amanda Palmer plays the part of Kim Deal in a "Debaser" wink.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Way_Moby wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, this is the song Patton Oswalt was talking about. It begins almost the exact same way as "Monkey Gone to Heaven", and Amanda Palmer plays the part of Kim Deal in a "Debaser" wink.
Spoiler:
I'm very glad that Amanda Palmer had such a small part. :vomit:
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

Spoiler:
Being the guy who wouldn't stop whining about a potential Pixies style parody, I have to say that THIS IS SO FREAKIN' FUNNY and it's one of my favorite songs at the moment! Al's voice is great!! I'm not sure Patton's description was entirely accurate, or my imagination just really ran away from itself trying to decode it.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Good Enough For Now wrote:
Spoiler:
Being the guy who wouldn't stop whining about a potential Pixies style parody, I have to say that THIS IS SO FREAKIN' FUNNY and it's one of my favorite songs at the moment! Al's voice is great!! I'm not sure Patton's description was entirely accurate, or my imagination just really ran away from itself trying to decode it.
Spoiler:
Yeah, this really seems to be a "Monkey Gone to Heaven" and "Debaser" spoof, solely.

Still awesome!
AccordionChick
Occasional

Post by AccordionChick »

Spoiler:
I'm actually kinda sad that Amanda Palmer had such a small part in the song but it is definitely one of my favorites
Concerts Attended: 1
September 19th, 2011 - Pikes Peak Center, Colorado Springs, CO

Some people say I'm the one who got Al to be in an Epic Rap Battles of History.