Mandatory Fun Concert Songs

Moderator: Moderators

mellow weasel
Obsessed

Re: Mandatory Fun Concert Songs

Post by mellow weasel »

TMBJon wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote:The song's great, but without any jokes, I don't know how it would play to the masses.
What do you mean no jokes? It would function just like Craigslist in the set, where the humor would be derived from Al's CSNY impression. This would be a really fun one live!! Though I do concede it would be really hard to pull off.
I agree with Bruce, there's basically only one joke in the song - how absurd all those phrases sound. Craiglist's lyrics were funny and comprehensible. I'm also quite irritated by the sound of "Mission Statement" (less than by "Sport Song"), but that's just my personal taste :unsure:
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Yeah, Craigslist was definitely more than a one-joke song. While the overall concept was the crazy things people post on Craigslist, there were several jokes related to that concept. "Mission Statement" essentially has one joke--ridiculous corporate jargon. I love the song, and I would be thrilled to see it live, but I can definitely see BTD's point.
NDBois
Occasional

Post by NDBois »

My daydream that will never happen: After Al performs Handy, he leaves on his costume and does the first-ever live performance of Hardware Store, which he's been practicing for eleven years.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

NDBois wrote:My daydream that will never happen: After Al performs Handy, he leaves on his costume and does the first-ever live performance of Hardware Store, which he's been practicing for eleven years.
That would be awesome :up:
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

NDBois wrote:My daydream that will never happen: After Al performs Handy, he leaves on his costume and does the first-ever live performance of Hardware Store, which he's been practicing for eleven years.
I don't think that's totally out of the question. The two songs would work very well together. If he could only figure out a way to do the third verse.

OR he could do it as a sort of mini-medley, where he starts with "Hardware Store" and then goes into "Handy" after the second verse.
NDBois
Occasional

Post by NDBois »

Bruce the Duck wrote:
I don't think that's totally out of the question. The two songs would work very well together. If he could only figure out a way to do the third verse.

OR he could do it as a sort of mini-medley, where he starts with "Hardware Store" and then goes into "Handy" after the second verse.
If he goes with the medley route, he might throw in "I'll Repair For You" as well. Unless it has all the same jokes; I haven't heard IRFY so I don't know.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Yeah, it would be redundant if he did IRFY. You should search it on YouTube. It's pretty great.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Definitely one of my favorite concert-only songs. Listen to my bootleg of it all the time.
And Peggy
NDBois
Occasional

Post by NDBois »

Ha! It's pretty awesome...I'm actually kind of impressed at how Al pretty much kept the song the same but made it fit "Fancy"
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

mellow weasel wrote:there's basically only one joke in the song - how absurd all those phrases sound
I guess I just don't really understand the point about "jokes" in the lyrics. Are people going to Weird Al concerts to hear him do stand-up material, or to see him play funny songs and do funny impressions of a variety of musical acts? I would think the latter. For that reason, I think Mission Statement would work quite well to replace Craigslist in the set. Late in the show, a slower tempo track with potential for a really fun live performance and stage antics from Al.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.