Least Favorite Song

Moderator: Moderators

Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Least Favorite Song

Post by Akrovak »

I've had the opportunity to listen to the full set list about six times now. The first couple of times, I listened to the songs in the order they were placed on the album. Both of those times, I actually frowned when "Inactive" played (which kind of bothered me, because it was the one parody I was really looking forward to ... I really enjoy the source song). The next time I listened, I played the songs in the order I felt I appreciated the songs the most, saving "Inactive" for last, hoping it would make a different impact. It didn't. The fourth time was with my wife in her car (it was her first time hearing the album, and she actually seemed to enjoy a good portion of the experience, and we laughed together in quite a few spots), with the songs in order, and when it got to "Inactive", I immediately hit the "next track" button ... she glanced over at me as if to say, "I like your boobs ... but what the heck?", and I shook my head slowly to display my sentiments of, "Yeah, just not worth it, you good looking babe". The last couple times listening to it, I was on my computer (where the CD had been burned) ... and before listening, I deleted the "Inactive" track ... those two times were near perfect listening experiences. I was hoping the song would grow on me, but I firmly believe it never will. I may listen to it again at some point in the future, but as of right now, I don't see that happening.

I've never deleted a "Weird Al" track before, and I feel kind of guilty about that ... but at the same time, I wish I could remove it from the actual CD as well.

TLDR? "Inactive".

Ak.
bearclaws

Post by bearclaws »

"Inactive" is my least favorite, because I feel like it could be the work of any random YouTube parodist. It's missing that special dose of Al weirdness that all the other songs have. Plus, I'm not a big fan of the original song and I don't think anyone will even remember Imagine Dragons in a few years.

Runners-up: "Handy", "Sports Song", and "My Own Eyes" are the songs I didn't like at first but have all grown on me quite a bit. "My Own Eyes" is catchy and full of great weird imagery (though not as good as the imagery in Jackson Park Express). "Handy" became more appealing after I realized he was doing that weird voice on purpose, and after I noticed that "hammer my thumb" line which plays on the original song quite nicely. And "Sports Song" is pretty clever and I understand that I probably would like it better if I had played sports in college :P

I see "Mission Statement" coming up a lot on this thread and that song is great, for all the reasons Skippy mentioned. I also had a boss once who spoke in corporate buzzwords and also listened to music like CSN, so I feel like this song really gets me. You probably have to have worked in corporate America for some time to find it funny. The words to this song mean absolutely nothing but the music makes it sound deep, and that's why it's hilarious.

Overall, with only one song I don't care for and a lot of great ones (Word Crimes, Tacky, Jackson Park Express are all among his best), this is easily his best album since Running with Scissors. Maybe his best EVER.
darkhornet
Occasional

Post by darkhornet »

"Inactive" is my least favorite on the album. That's disappointing, because I really like "Radioactive." For me, it's completely void of imagination. When we saw the titles, many people pretty much nailed what this covers lyrically. The only part of the song that I find imaginative is the inhaler bit at the beginning, because that's a brilliant use of the hard breathing sound from the original.

I'll also join Skippy in standing up for "Mission Statement" and "Sports Song." The corporate world is dripping with buzzwords/jargon that deserve to be shown just how ridiculous they sound. While the song might have stood for a little bit more lightness than it had, I still think "Mission Statement" is brilliant.

I'm honestly surprised how many people don't like "Sports Song" because they don't like sports. When I heard the song for the first time, I thought it would be a bit of an anthem for non-sports fans to show sports fans how ridiculous they sound. I am a sports fan and I love the song. I suppose my assessment of it's accessibility missed the mark.
Last edited by darkhornet on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I keep changing my mind on this one. When I first listened, "Sports Song" was my least favorite, but it has grown on me quite a bit, and I appreciate what Al was trying to do here. Then, a couple of days ago, my least favorite was "My Own Eyes." However, after giving that one a few more listens, I've started to enjoy it. My current least favorite is "Inactive." While I think it's clever, it's not great, and the sound gets to me every time. It just sounds so muffled.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

I have to say Mission Statement is my least favourite, and that's painful to say because, it's such a brilliant satire. It was probably the track I llaughed most at on first listen, but I guess the music just doesn't gel well with my usual tastes.

I do like Inactive, but everyone's points on why it's bad are valid.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I will probably sing along to MS, but as far as liking it, i dont think I ever really will. The music is brilliant, but the lyrics bore me. I understand why the music and the lyrics go together, but that doesnt mean i gotta like it
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

Inactive by a long shot. I also seem to skip Jackson park express a lot although its not a particularly bad song. In terms of twisted love songs it's nowhere near One More Minute and YDLMA. There might even be other twisted love songs I'm missing that are better.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Just a Bill

Post by Just a Bill »

darkhornet wrote:I'm honestly surprised how many people don't like "Sports Song" because they don't like sports. When I heard the song for the first time, I thought it would be a bit of an anthem for non-sports fans to show sports fans how ridiculous they sound.
I know, right? Seems like this is exactly the sweet spot. I love how the eloquent phrases and full-disclosure self-assessment collapse into the primal chants. There's a horizontal juxtaposition between fore and aft, layered with the vertical juxtapositions of music and lyrics.

It's really two parodies in one: In the first half, the lyrics play contrary to the music by ridiculously going "outward" to the erudite. Then halftime comes, and it's a whole different ballgame. Now the words (no longer lyrics!) play against the tune again, but this time by reversing direction and plunging so far "inward" that they reduce down to jockdom's two primary elements, Wg and Ys.

It's freaking brilliant, and I'm sad it's gotten so little respect.
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Just a Bill wrote: It's really two parodies in one: In the first half, the lyrics play contrary to the music by ridiculously going "outward" to the erudite. Then halftime comes, and it's a whole different ballgame. Now the words (no longer lyrics!) play against the tune again, but this time by reversing direction and plunging so far "inward" that they reduce down to jockdom's two primary elements, Wg and Ys.
...wat
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Just a Bill wrote: It's really two parodies in one: In the first half, the lyrics play contrary to the music by ridiculously going "outward" to the erudite. Then halftime comes, and it's a whole different ballgame. Now the words (no longer lyrics!) play against the tune again, but this time by reversing direction and plunging so far "inward" that they reduce down to jockdom's two primary elements, Wg and Ys.
:blink: I don't know what any of that means.