Rank the 8 Videos!

Moderator: Moderators

Troodon
Occasional

Re: Rank the 8 Videos!

Post by Troodon »

1. Mission Statement- I just love the juxtaposition of the musical style with the corporate buzzwords, and the animated whiteboard just goes with it so well. I thought the "incentivized" graphic was especially hilarious. This is also my favorite song on the album, besides "Now That's What I Call Polka" which deserves its own category.
2. Tacky- I just love one-shot videos. This was planned out so well. Jack Black was definitely the high-point. (BTW I strongly think this should have been the lead single instead of "Handy." Not that Handy's bad, just that this is so much better.)
3. Foil- The twist was just great, and the end really makes my day.
4. Word Crimes- The flow and animation style work pretty well with this. Reminds me a lot of the video for "Quit Forwarding that Crap to Me."
5. Handy- I just love how the graphics in the background move in sync with the rhythm riff. Also Al's costuming/makeup is perfect for this. I hope he does this in costume in concert.
6. Sports Song- There's just not much to the video. It's just a marching band and that's it. Visually, that's only one joke. I do have some nostalgia for my time in marching band though, and Weird Al and the band do stay in step and in a pretty decent formation. It's good, just not great. It is smooth though, got to give it that. (Getting flashbacks of the "All Things Must Pass" video by OK Go. Um, I'm sure you can guess which version lol...)
7. First World Problems- I'd rank this higher for its lyrics but I've never been a big fan of the Pixies' style and that reduces my enjoyment of this somewhat. It's just animating the lyrics of the song which doesn't feel too creative (yeah Sports Song isn't too creative either, but it's more pleasant to watch and listen to). And that wig is just really distracting. It's a funny song though... seems like a great complement to "Why Does this Always Happen to Me."
8. Lame Claim to Fame- Er, really not a fan of this art style, and to be honest this is the only song on the album I just don't like much*. Like Sports Song, it seems like a single visual joke, but it's not even that appealing to look at.

(*Please understand I'm not saying I hate it, but it's definitely my least favorite song on the album. It's good, just not great, and outshined by every other song on the album IMO. Your mileage may vary.)

P.S. I really wish he did a music video for "My Own Eyes." The lyrics would allow for some really hilarious visuals.