45%
Originals
55%

Total votes: 42

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Better: Parodies or Originals?

Post by Killingsworth »

I think the parodies stood out more on this album, but that's just me.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

... And 10 other people on the forum.
And Peggy
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Originals. It's so hard to gauge cause I love all the parodies. However, My Own Eyes and First World Problems are so great that I listen to them repeatedly.
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

After much deliberation, I decided I prefer the parodies over the originals this time around. "Inactive" is my least favorite, but I love the Imagine Dragons original and so, by extension, I still like Al's parody version, even if it pales in comparison to the other parodies on the album.

As for the original songs on MF, I personally find "Sports Song" and "My Own Eyes" to be lower-tier songs, with "Lame Claim to Fame" in the middle, and "Mission Statement", "First World Problems" and especially "Jackson Song Express" towards the top. None of them are bad, per se - they're all extremely musically competent, which we've come to expect from Al and TBITB by now - but to me, they still don't hold a candle to the parodies.
Last edited by avesjohn on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MandatoryFun
Occasional

Post by MandatoryFun »

Hmm, seems im in the minority. I agree with Well Well Well though, Inactive gargles my balls (and they're big, so that's quite an accomplishment). Despite how crappy that song is, I really think Foil and Handy make up for it 100 times over.
Hey guys, I got this username first ha ha
DiegoMcArthur

Post by DiegoMcArthur »

The weakest song in my opinion is an original (First World Problems), but even that is pretty enjoyable song, one of Al's strongest albums, I'd probably have to say I prefer the originals, just because of "Sports Song", "My Own Eyes", "Mission Statement" and his masterwork, "Jackson Park Express", although all of the parodies are very good.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

^ Part of why I think this album is how wide the range of thoughts can be on it. First World Problems is my favorite song from the album. The rankings of songs on MF are all over the place.
And Peggy