2003 WOWAY Awards

An annual WOWAY tradition since 1961.

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Well, doing it twice a year might be pushing it a bit, but otherwise it sounds like fun.

There should be a set system of nominating and voting first before everyone floods PM boxes or something.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I think it would be more fun just just assign an "awards committee" of a couple people and have them just announce the winners of the first round on May 19.

Why a committee? This way it can be done through PM or email and not clutter up the board and this way there are a few people deciding only. Limit to the committee to about 5 and let people volunteer to be on the committee. Maybe even Whizzi wouldn't mind setting up a "committee" subgroup like he did for the "concertracker" folk? He could maybe even give the committe group their own exclusive sub-forum only they can read or post to if people are weary about PM or email. I think this software allows for that.

What would the committee do? They'd make up some serous categories and joke categories and pick winners. No outside votes. The joke categories would be kind of specific, like it was obvious one person was being singled out. For example, somebody (guess who?) would win "Most likely to need a dictionary and thesaurus to read her posts" or (guess who?) "Constantly on weirdal.com with her finger on the refresh key." The joke categories would be set up so that anyone with, let's say 2 Al heads and has posted at least once in the last month, would win at least something. That's up to the committee to decide.

Why May 19th? It's a month from today, and a day before we're all waiting at the local music store with our noses presses up against the glass waiting for the employee with the key to open shop to arrive.

And I agree, once a year is plenty. The committee could change each year, or stay the same.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Dave had the best idea. It definitely would go smoother and my computer wouldn't freeze like it always does at my PM screen lately... :mad:

I'd be glad to go on the committee.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

QUOTE It definitely would go smoother and my computer wouldn't freeze like it always does at my PM screen lately

Then maybe there should also be an auxiliary e-mail address for those whose computers cannot handle PMs.

And maybe Whizzi has some ideas....after all, it's his forum.
b-whales
Occasional

Post by b-whales »

I think this is a great idea. I'll vote too!
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I think a committee would be good. Also, maybe the committee members could change yearly so it won't always be the same people.

Nice joke category: Member with the most free time on their hands.

-CindyBob

:stupid:
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

Okay. Who will be on the committee? I guess since I started this whole thing, I'm on it... I have my PM and email down there....
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

QUOTE sponsored by dictionary.com?

Not a bad idea since you have been responsible for probably dozens of dictionary.com's hits.

But look at it this way, you are helping all of us in our continuing education. And that's a good thing, right?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It's a good thing, I guess, as long as I don't aggravate everybody too much in the process. :lookround:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I certainly don't mind. You have inspired me to move my dictionary and thesaurus to my computer desk. :bigups: