North Carolina Statement

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

North Carolina Statement

Post by TMBJon »

Al released the following statement regarding touring in North Carolina:
Like many other entertainers on the road this summer, I wrestled with the decision about whether or not to cancel my North Carolina concert dates in protest of the controversial HB2 bill. It was definitely not an easy choice, but I have decided to honor the dates, as I don’t want to punish my fans (most of whom, I’d like to believe, also have a big problem with unfair, discriminatory legislation). I will be donating my personal fee from the June 18 Greensboro show to the Human Rights Campaign (http://www.hrc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), America's largest civil rights organization working to achieve lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equality.
I think this is really awesome of him, and I congratulate that he took this step. Not sure that HRC is the perfect organization here; they have a bit of a reputation for not being all that great on transgender issues. However, the sentiment is greatly appreciated!

People responding negatively on FB and Instagram: Get a life! :x:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
rhall46

Re: North Carolina Statement

Post by rhall46 »

I think he approached this the right way! Living in NC and going to the Greensboro show, I was very afraid he was going to cancel as everyone has been. What he said is exactly right, it isn't the fan's fault this is happening and most of us (if not all) disagree with the HB2. I am going to personally thank him after the show for not cancelling and punishing the fans. Class act Al is!
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I was wondering how Al would handle this - and he really did it the perfect way. It would be a shame for him to cancel his shows there, as I doubt many Weird Al fans support the bill, but issuing a statement like this addresses and tackles the issue head on. Like Jon, I'm a little surprised Al chose HRC, but maybe he didn't know about how they aren't great on the transgender issue? I certainly didn't know at first, either.
Last edited by Big Spoon on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
And Peggy
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

I agree about HRC. If Al reads/takes suggestions from WOWAY, I hope he takes these into consideration: NCTE, GATE, The Trevor Project, or here's some lists to choose his own.

The action he's taking on this is amazing.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

rhall46 wrote:I was very afraid he was going to cancel as everyone has been.
I think that would have been completely out of character. Although he says it was a difficult decision, he's very consistent in his approach to difficult situations and based on his previous behaviour I can't imagine him choosing a different approach.
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

Definitely comes to show that Al is a little darling :clap:
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

He's got an Asheville show in September too. I hope he keeps his policy.