8/18/16 Thunder Bay Community Auditorium, Thunder Bay

2015 - U.S.A., Canada, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, U.K., Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand!
2016 - U.S.A. ... and more?

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

arewethereyet
Occasional
Location: 70 miles east of the Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota

8/18/16 Thunder Bay Community Auditorium, Thunder Bay

Post by arewethereyet »

Woo-hoo! I'm going to hear Al sing "Canadian Idiot" in Canada! :P

And on the way up, I may stop in Superior, Wisconsin to visit the accordion museum there:
http://www.worldofaccordions.org/visit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :accordion:
Note that it only has scheduled open hours on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, but the website says you can call to arrange a visit on another day.

The name of the venue is so long I couldn't fit "Ontario, Canada" into the title of the thread.

Who else is going to be there? Has anyone here been to this venue before? Anything useful to know -- like, do they let you take photographs?
5/3/12 Minneapolis; 10/13/12 Milwaukee; 8/3/13 Prior Lake, MN; 8/4/13 Des Moines; 7/3/15 Prior Lake, MN; 8/18/16 Thunder Bay, Ontario; 4/3/18 Minneapolis; 6/23/19 Madison; 8/27/19 MN State Fair
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Re: 8/18/16 Thunder Bay Community Auditorium, Thunder Bay

Post by yankochick38 »

How was the show?? :accordion:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
arewethereyet
Occasional

Post by arewethereyet »

I haven't seen as many Al concerts as many on this board have, but I would say that the audience was. . . polite. Just like the stereotype. I didn't see any costumes, though there were of course a number of people wearing Weird Al t-shirts. I would have expected some sort of extra reaction at the beginning of "Canadian Idiot", you know, extra loud applause or cheering or something, but I didn't hear any. Were any of you there? What was your impression?

Al gave his usual high-energy performance, and if this had been my first time seeing him I would have said, "Wow, how does he do it?", but I have seen him go a bit further. Was he tired or a little under the weather (and no wonder, it's been a long tour)? Or was he just not getting much energy from the audience? Someone I talked to after the show opined that Al has been doing this so long, he tailors his performance to the audience: maybe this crowd prefers a performance that isn't too extreme. Other opinions, you guys?

When I first got my ticket, I noticed that there were no VIP tickets at this venue, and I hoped that would increase the chance for a meet-and-greet at the bus. Then again, I knew he was going to be in Minneapolis the next night, a long drive including a border crossing, so maybe there wouldn't be one.

Al did do a meet-and-greet. I was a bit disappointed that no photos were allowed, but I was happy to have a chance to say hi, however briefly, and get another CD autographed. I love that Al does this for his fans.
5/3/12 Minneapolis; 10/13/12 Milwaukee; 8/3/13 Prior Lake, MN; 8/4/13 Des Moines; 7/3/15 Prior Lake, MN; 8/18/16 Thunder Bay, Ontario; 4/3/18 Minneapolis; 6/23/19 Madison; 8/27/19 MN State Fair
arewethereyet
Occasional

Post by arewethereyet »

One story:

At the border crossing entering Canada I handed my passport to the customs official. He was gray-haired but not old looking and had a professional, serious demeanor.

He asked, "Where are you coming from?"

"Minneapolis."

"Why are you coming to Canada?"

"I'm going to Thunder Bay to go to a concert."

"Oh, what kind of concert?" he asked, in an almost conversational tone.

"A Weird Al concert."

I wish I had a photo of his expression, but you've all seen it on the faces of non-fans. "Why would you come so far for a Weird Al concert?"

Of course, if you have to ask, there is no explanation, so I just smiled.
Yankopunk
Addicted

Post by Yankopunk »

If I had the means, I would go to as many Al concerts as possible. Seriously, if he were like, "I'm doing one final show, and it's on the moon!" I am finding a way to get to the damn moon.

Honestly, I even find myself looking at his remaining concert dates some days. "Ooh, Czar tickets still available." Okay. "How much would a flight to there be?" And that's when I cry. :(
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

Duluth's audience is very "polite" too. Maybe it's an up north thing. Minneapolis, however, seems to compete with the music volume.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
2018 Tour: Rochester, Minneapolis, Fargo, Clear Lake, and Green Bay...so far...