Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Unpopular Opinions-Al Edition

Post by Wizzerkat »

After some thought, I decided to start this topic. The mods can do what they want if they want to combine it with something, but I thought this might deserve its own topic..

Ok, on other boards I am on(fan boards) there is from time to time a topic about unpopular opinions-opinions you have about the show/performer/etc that you are pretty sure most other fans on the board(or in general) don't have. An unpopular opinion topic is used for those who might otherwise not feel comfy expressing a certain opinion the place to express that opinion(and of course the rule is always not to bash folks for that opinion). My unpopular opinion for example:

UHF-I have seen certain scenes from it a few times and saw it once all the way through. It's a cute movie-certainly far from "bad." However, I don't LOVE LOVE LOVE it like most Al fans do. And the ending-CHEEEE-ZY! However, to be fair, it's not unlike every other 80's movie ever made:
http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/eighties_ending/
Last edited by Wizzerkat on Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is my dude a dweeb?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I love "Trapped in the Drive-Thru," but it's really overrated. Ditto for "Genius in France."
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

Interesting Anth! BTW, I just want folks to know that I don't mean for this to be anyone way. You can like/love something Al related that you perceive most other fans don't like..
Is my dude a dweeb?
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I didn't like it when Al used to beat up Santa during Fat. I think the "ho" joke works better now.

I think this kind of discussion is healthy. I hope it can continue.
This means something. This is important.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Anyone who dislikes anything about Al eats puppy-stuffed babies and should be banned!
:x: :x: :x:

Seriously though, I think that WYL is the worst song in his discography. All that hype that was going towards it for the release was just... overblown. It's such an average song that I'd expect some guy on the 'Tube to pump out. I mean, maybe it was my fault for expecting a fantastic song... I dunno. It's just something that I immediately skip if I'm listening to media player and I get annoyed whenever I listen to it.

Also, dribbling the album out song by song = LAME.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I have no problems with this topic (Now), but Mod Notice:

Given the events that transpired post Whatever You Like and post-Al's Band releases, please be mature about this: People have the right to like or dislike anything, it does not make them any less of an Al fan.

Sorry, I know it's ridiculous to even have to post that, but then again, considering the mods had to move an entire topic dedicated to Al's Band into the mod forum because of the fights that broke out....well, that's pretty ridiculous too :P

-----------------------------------------------------

That being said, I agree on UHF. I've probably only watched it once without commentary since getting the dvd.

And I've never watched a single ep of the Weird Al Show without commentary since getting the dvd (And to boot, I've only seen one episode normally period). There are some amazingly clever bits in that show (Fred Huggins ranks IMO in the top 5 things Al has ever done), but for the most part, I guess I'm too old (And before anyone says it, yes, I realize Al's not at fault for the show's more friendly content)
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Just wanna point out here that the fight in that Band thread had NOTHING to do with differing opinions on the music, but everything to do with one or two poster's ad hominem attacks on the integrity of the band themselves.. just saying....some very selective memory stuff occurring here... moving swiftly on...
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.

Post by Teh Dingo »

Even still, let's all try to behave ourselves, mmmkay? :)
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Mystik Tomato @ May 04, 2009 01:36 am wrote: Also, dribbling the album out song by song = LAME.
Yeah, but it keeps the impatient fans at bay when he is in "album perfectionist" mode.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.

Post by Teh Dingo »

Or if any labels decide that Al has more control over the success of a new artist more than that artist does....for some reason.....