Essay Help?

He who's tired of Weird Al is tired of life.

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Re: Essay Help?

Post by Way_Moby »

JCM wrote:Satire requires a lot of sophistication and wit, neither of which I have, and if I produced any of the songs I wrote, I could very well get sued, and I probably would. If there's anything record companies know how to manipulate, it's copyright law.
Satire just has to take a subject and ridicule it, mainly using sarcasm and exaggeration. It doesn't take too much wit, but you have to understand that.

That whole "parody v. satire" is very tricky too. I know the courts have sided with parody artists and there are a flood of parodies on iTunes that don't have permission/pay royalties, but I'm terrified that, if, for instance, I uploaded The 8th Horcrux onto iTunes, I'd get sued out the wazoo.

I think the big trick is to pay royalties. Honestly, if you do that, no one can touch you. :P
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

I have 1 song on iTunes, but quickly stopped promoting it for reasons mentioned in other threads. And Miley Cyrus sued a band for parodying "Party in the USA" and not paying royalties. They're called The Fold. It happens. They couldn't believe it. They did make a pretty funny video mocking their situation where Billy Ray Cyrus calls them up and threatens them.
I'm really waiting for Nucka Nucka Ali to get sued because he used the exact same background music on some songs that my producer "got" for me. I was terrified to use them, but his background music was EXACTLY the same as mine.

On a totally separate note, I keep wondering if I have a lawsuit against B.O.B. for his song "Magic." :P I have a song with a similar music that I wrote in 2002. I don't care enough to actually do it, and I'm sure it's just coincidence.

And as far as uploading The 8th Horcrux songs, yeah, you'd sell tons of copies and draw attention to yourself. :D
Everyone's happy if they get royalties... except for Prince and James Blunt's Atlantic Record cronies.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

giantlobsterrobot wrote:And Miley Cyrus sued a band for parodying "Party in the USA" and not paying royalties. They're called The Fold. It happens. They couldn't believe it. They did make a pretty funny video mocking their situation where Billy Ray Cyrus calls them up and threatens them.
I really doubt that threat had any substance. If the Cyrus estate wanted the video gone, they could have easily contacted YouTube about it.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

I forgot to site sources

http://www.disneydreaming.com/2010/01/1 ... n-the-usa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.indievisionmusic.com/2010/01 ... -get-sued/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://themileycyrusfansite.blogspot.co ... cyrus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could find more, but I'm not sure if all these sites are credible enough for you. The video was on more than just Youtube though.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Oh, I didn't need sources, but thanks. I did research, and from what I gathered, it all seems like a misinterpretation of a joke video, which was meant to help sell T-shirts for a Haiti fundraiser, under the guise that it would "pay off their debts". If Miley Cyrus actually sued them, its media attention would have been a lot stronger. It was nothing but a publicity stunt, and a risky publicity stunt at that.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Hey JCM, I think everyone in the "Parodies You've Made" thread should put together a risky publicity stunt. Let's DO IT!!! :D
thesis1

Post by thesis1 »

Yeah, several of the books on parody that I read went heavily into the subject of what constitutes a parody and when something is and is not.
you can use "lyrical adaption" for that..:)