Weird Al on IFC's Comedy Bang! Bang!

For discussion Comedy Bang Bang shows that feature Al

Moderator: Moderators

Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Weird Al on IFC's Comedy BangBang August 10th

Post by Killingsworth »

Didn't see this, but I heard on Twitter that Al only had a very short cameo which only lasted seconds.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

Good to know. I forgot about this and honestly, I am not enthralled by CBB anyway..
Is my dude a dweeb?
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I've always said that the long freeform podcast format doesn't translate well to the rigid timing of television.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Comedy Bang Bang revealed its list of guests for the first half of the third season, and yet again Weird Al is slated to appear!

I can exclusively report that Al will be appearing on the episode that airs June 19, titled "Lizzy Caplan Wears All Black and Powder Blue Espadrilles". (T)
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Awesome!
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Weird Al on IFC's Comedy BangBang

Post by TMBJon »

Also!! I was holding my tongue but since both Al and Scott have tweeted/grammed about it...

Al was shooting with Comedy Bang Bang for three days this week. It's by far his largest part yet for the show, and the first time he will not be playing himself. The role is pretty cool, and it's a pretty big departure from most of Al's acting parts in the past. The episode is the second-to-last of the season, so it'll probably air in early December.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Be sure to check out Comedy Bang Bang tonight for a very quick cameo from Weird Al which will make absolutely no sense for about five months.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Al's returning to the show tonight. Wonder if he'll drop any details about the new album...
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Hey guys, I can shed some light on this. I am the Post Supervisor on Comedy Bang Bang, and I had the pleasure to be there on set the day this was shot.
For those of you who are not familiar with Comedy Bang Bang, it takes the format of a talk show but is really more of a parody of the concept of a late night talk show. Thus, Al is not here to promote anything - the guests never plug their actual projects because the show is designed to be evergreen. You can watch any episode at any time, with no regard to a guest's upcoming projects. (Sometimes they promote fake upcoming movies they're supposedly starring in, as Nick Offerman did in last week's episode.)

This episode's main guest is Lizzy Caplan, most famously known for her leading role in the Showtime series "Masters of Sex." It also features Paul Scheer as the character guest. Al appears in two scenes for a cameo role, not an actual interview guest. The episode as a whole is very funny, perhaps my favorite from this current set of ten. It was especially fun for me to work on because it required the most post supervision of any episode I've worked on to date, as there is a great deal of 3D motion graphics associated with this episode as well as a complicated sound design, some interesting legal clearances, and a really funny sketch midway through the episode.

It was especially fun to be on the clock getting to chat with Al before he shot his scenes, then watching him acting, and then a few months later making creative decisions about which take of Al's was funniest, zooming in on his hair to make sure the green screen was keying out correctly, etc. I won't give away the jokes associated with Al's part, but after the episode airs I'll post a couple of stills I took on set.

By the way - Al has a much bigger part in an episode that will air this December. It was without a doubt my favorite script of the season, and we haven't edited it yet, but I know it's going to be not only a great CBB episode but also one of the best Weird Al TV appearances to date. Can't wait for you all to see that one!
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »