Medium Rarities

Moderator: Moderators

LovelySortsOfDeath
Occasional

Re: Medium Rarities

Post by LovelySortsOfDeath »

minnick27 wrote:Wait, why the heck are there only 23? This was the perfect opportunity for a 27 track album
He had to make sure the whole thing would fit on a vinyl record. Those things are like 48 minutes max.
LovelySortsOfDeath
Occasional

Post by LovelySortsOfDeath »

Now that the rarities album track list is revealed, here's my "WTF Al why didn't these get included?" list:
-Polkamon (already know why, but it's BS even so)
-Patterns - probably legal red tape got in the way of this one too, but man it would have been awesome to have a high quality version of this song
-It's Still Billy Joel to Me (Live) - this was on a Dr. Demento basement tapes CD and was a concert staple in his early days so why this was left off eludes me
-School Cafeteria (kinda understand why he didn't use it though, he hates that song and he would have had to pay Capitol Records double to clear it)
-Happy Birthday (Placebo Version) - or anything from the Placebo, I just find it weird he ignored it altogether.

And of course, when you're as deep in the fandom as we are, "rare" is relative, and anybody who thought there would be anything here that we hadn't already heard or didn't know about was dreaming.

Bedroom recordings like Belvedere were never gonna appear here... unless, of course, it's a demo of a song he actually liked (Yoda).
JPK

Post by JPK »

Besides the obvious omissions of Polkamon and You're Pitiful, I'm most surprised to not see I Need a Nap on the tracklist. It seems to fit with the type of stuff that actually is on Medium Rarities.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I have some pretty mixed feelings about this tracklist. It has definitely put me off preordering the entire set. Overall, I'm a bit disappointed by the relative lack of early and/or truly RARE material (Gosh, I was a fool to think Al would include three different versions of the same song on one box set) compared to the stunning, unexpectedly high volume of fairly recent TV guest star jingles (which turned out to be the only real left field curveball pitches on this tracklist). Honestly, I think you may have to really be a fan of these particular shows (30 Rock, MLP etc) to truly "go nuts" over these choices. That being said, I'm willing to give "Let The Pun Fit The Crime" a fair and open minded chance even though I've never watched Wander Over Yonder. Plus, it would be nice to have high quality copies of The Brain Song, the CBB/MML themes, the monks and the new version of Happy Birthday on an album. Let's also hope that Lousy Haircut and Homer And Marge are extended cuts w/more lyrics beyond what we heard on their respective shows. I doubt that's the case if Al actually included a ten second Dr Demento jingle, but hey I suppose anythings' possible. I suppose I will at least get this album when it comes out on iTunes.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
AmishGuy91

Post by AmishGuy91 »

When you think of the duration of Al's career and all the hidden gems he must have from early days, this setlist is very disappointing. A set this massive and expensive really only caters to hardcore fans; but this setlist does not cater to hardcore fans at all.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Over all, my feelings on the track list are similar to what others have said. I really wish there were more early years stuff, and not so many TV show songs. But I'm still excited for this.

Getting to hear a snippet of Happy Birthday 2017 was pretty awesome, though.
And Peggy
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

The track list is OK but I was hoping for more 80s stuff.
JeffM

Post by JeffM »

I have no comment.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I kinda wish there were two 'extra' albums: one of all the officially released stuff that just needs to be collected in one place (e.g. all the TV songs, "Headline News", "My Bologna"), and an album of legit 'extras' (e.g. "Yoda", "Pac-Man"). It would've been super awesome, too, if the set had come with a repressing of the Placebo EP... but not I'm just getting ridiculous.
coltsmetsfan614
Occasional

Post by coltsmetsfan614 »

Way_Moby wrote:I kinda wish there were two 'extra' albums: one of all the officially released stuff that just needs to be collected in one place (e.g. all the TV songs, "Headline News", "My Bologna"), and an album of legit 'extras' (e.g. "Yoda", "Pac-Man").
He could have called them "Medium Rarities" and "Deep Cold Cuts" :D