The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

hungerfan
Occasional

Re: The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

Post by hungerfan »

I learned to lip sync after my first Weird Al show that I attended back in 2000 thanks to my sister. She is younger but had more money than me at the time I guess and bought my ticket!! Wanted to see him for so long and was so excited.

Singing along with the crowd during a song and this lady sitting next to me who was alone taps me and asks me to not sing. Sigh. Yeah sure lady...we can hear EVERYONE better than Al and you want ME to stop singing along.
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

City Schnitzel wrote:I At some shows it can afterall be annoying for an actively participating crowd, if some just sit there in apathy... or in awe for that matter.
I realize plenty of people feel this way, but I wish it wasn't so. I rarely clap or sing along - I want to hear the performers as much as possible. But I understand that many people enjoy feeling involved in the show. I'm a musician myself, and I'm fine with people sitting quietly and attentively appreciating the music.

It's a touchy philosophical subject. There are certainly times when it's appropriate and encouraged to clap/sing along. But there are obvious moments when it would be inappropriate. Like, you paid money so you should enjoy the show in your way, but I also paid money and want to enjoy the performers on stage. I try to find a compromise.

I've waited my whole life to hear Biggest Ball of Twine played live, and I'm worried (if I'm lucky enough for them to play it at a show I attend) somebody near me is going to be singing wrong words out of tune for the whole song...
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I had a random thought. You know, for example, at one of the shows on youtube, there are several times when people are screaming out for parodies, and I felt really bad for Al. He's doing this awesome tour with just originals, I wish people wouldn't do that to him.

But I had a random thought:

You know, for example, on one of the shows for example, Right before I he played The Saga Begins, he said something like, "This is another song we've never played before live."

Obviously sarcasm and a joke.

But then it occurred to me.

If you were a big Al fan, but didn't come here, listen to interviews/podcasts/or comments...

If I didn't KNOW.....

...It does seem very "AL" to advertise the concert this way, and it still be a regular show or even ALL parodies.

I can practically HEAR Al saying:

"Next is, Amish Paradise. That's pretty obscure right?"

Probably just thinking too much, but I just mean I could SEE a decent Al fan somehow think this was a regular tour.

(Doesn't excuse that behavior though, I feel bad for Al. Hopefully that doesn't happen much.)
richegreen
Regular

Post by richegreen »

I love how at the Tarrytown show, after a bunch of yelling for requests, somebody yelled out PLAY WHATEVER YOU WANT and Al said "oooh, I like his suggestion. I'm gonna play that!"
8/23/94 5/28/96 8/3/99 2/3/00 5/11/00 5/12/00 7/7/00 10/29/00x2 11/2/00 11/3/00 11/4/00 7/25/02 7/10/03 7/18/03 9/20/07 9/3/10 5/14/15 3/1/18 3/22/18 3/23/18 7/20/19 4/26/22 5/10/22 5/13/22 10/29/22
hungerfan
Occasional

Post by hungerfan »

Wanted to check out some of the Youtube videos that have been popping up but after attempting the second one with either the person recording singing along or someone near them it was just too hard on my ears.
City Schnitzel

Post by City Schnitzel »

ergalthema wrote:I've waited my whole life to hear Biggest Ball of Twine played live, and I'm worried (if I'm lucky enough for them to play it at a show I attend) somebody near me is going to be singing wrong words out of tune for the whole song...
I can totally understand that and generally feel more comfortable listening as well.

Had an experience like the one that you fear at a Metal show once (the band was Angel Witch from the UK). I don't mind people singing along to the chorus of a song when the show is energetic enough and crowd involvement seems to be welcomed by most. But when a group of maybe 20 to 30 people were entering the stage and basically took over... it crossed a boundary that should've remained intact. The singer/guitarist didn't seem too annoyed and played on, but he stopped singing and a bunch of drunken idiots 'replaced' him on the mic. It was one of the few songs of that band that I really liked and they totally ruined it for me.

Back to Al: Hoping for "Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota" as well and that present drunks refrain from taking over. ^^
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Angel Witch is great! Partied with the guitarist before, he now plays in Exodus! BTW though, that happens way more at Al shows because everybody knows the words. Can't stop people from living in the moment or having a good time, I know what your saying. However, the band does play better to a crowd with more energy, that is a FACT! If they people singing they step it up more, all bands do.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Oh yeah, in Toronto, some douche yelled "HARDWARE STORE" and Al yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOO". Then Al made the most evil scowl after, I loved it! Especially when they instead did a way better song like Nature Trail To Hell and that dude obviously didn't know it. Kind of sad, god, I was in paradise.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I know this was discussed before, but what was the success rate of meeting Al without a VIP pass? I'm double-dosing the Chicago shows in 3 weeks and it would be so many dreams come true if it could happen.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

If you can find the bus it’s pretty good actually. Be prepared to wait a really long time. The vip sessions I’ve seen have had hundreds of people. The no photo rule applies and only one autograph. While al is signing your item you usually get a chance to say something quick along the lines of hello or we’re all gonna eat it when the snakes rise up, but initiate the conversation yourself and be prepared for the whole experience to be only a couple seconds long.

Dave

Edit: no photo rule usually is no posed photo. You usually are allowed to take a picture of Al signing your one item.
Last edited by Elvis on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo clarification
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!