The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Muppetboy09 wrote:
TMBJon wrote:I have a strong feeling it will be an unplugged medley of Al's biggest hits at the end. Some joke about "okay you sat through all those songs, so here are some you've actually heard of." It will be similar to the unplugged medley during the last tour, except it will include several more big hits.
I've been torn between whether it would be an updated acoustic medley, or if it would be a normal medley (but with more popular songs). I'm leaning toward acoustic, but I guess we'll have to wait and see!
He did a melody similar to that at a a star wars thing last year. He did mainly originals in full, but then did an updated melody with several more songs, and then did The Saga Begins and Yoda. (...Because, he was at a Star Wars thing, there might have been a riot if he wouldn't have. XD.) But I don't know if the melody there was a practice for this tour, or just a 'I'm focusing on originals right now, but here are some parodies', or if it might have even been a trial to see how it went.

It's possible that it could be that same accustic melody, but honestly I think if it's that melody or TSB and/or Yoda (I might be able to live with it ending on Yoda, depending on what else he plays) I feel like I would be kind of disappointed. I really hope it's parodies that haven't been played in a LONG time, or a melody of concert only songs. If it was one of those things +Yoda I can live. But as much as I LOVE the songs in that melody, I wanna hear something different!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

It has always been recognized. I've been a die hard fan of his originals for over 25 years but he is also the greatest parodist the world has ever seen so that is probably a hell of an honor. He knows his hardcore fans have undying love for his originals and finally he can thank us for that by this tour. I have always preferred the originals but holy crap I would certainly not want to imagine life without his parodies! Very glad that if any, there will be few. This will rock hard!!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

RunningWithScissors wrote:
He did a melody similar to that at a a star wars thing last year. He did mainly originals in full, but then did an updated melody with several more songs, and then did The Saga Begins and Yoda. (...Because, he was at a Star Wars thing, there might have been a riot if he wouldn't have. XD.) But I don't know if the melody there was a practice for this tour, or just a 'I'm focusing on originals right now, but here are some parodies', or if it might have even been a trial to see how it went.
The 501st Bash medley was just the acoustic medley (with the new additions of Amish Paradise, Smells Like Nirvana, and White & Nerdy), so I would think it's probably gonna pop up on this tour.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Al said that show was a "preview" of the upcoming tour, right?

I'd say it's safe to assume the songs he played that night are a pretty good indication of what to expect, albeit a shorter one.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yankomaniac wrote:It has always been recognized. I've been a die hard fan of his originals for over 25 years but he is also the greatest parodist the world has ever seen so that is probably a hell of an honor. He knows his hardcore fans have undying love for his originals and finally he can thank us for that by this tour. I have always preferred the originals but holy crap I would certainly not want to imagine life without his parodies! Very glad that if any, there will be few. This will rock hard!!
Recognized by us, not the public at large.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

New interview with Bermuda!

Fun fact! The unofficial name for this tour is:
the Weird Al Yankovic 2018 North American Small Venues, Back To Basics, Stripped Down, Nothing Fancy, Theatrics-Free, No Videos, No Costumes, No Props, No Frills Whatsoever, Non-Extravaganza, Sort Of Kind Of Unplugged-ish, Cut-Rate Production, Taking It Down A Notch, Super Casual, Low Energy, Old Guys Sitting On Stools, Just Hanging Out On Stage, Pulling Out None Of The Stops, Trying Not To Work Up A Sweat, Fun For Us Maybe Not So Much For You, None Of The Songs You Really Want To Hear, All Of The Songs You Usually Skip Over, Obscure Original Tunes, Deep Cuts And B Sides, No Hits, All Filler, Lowered Expectations, Let’s Just See What Happens, This Might Really Suck, Crowd-Disappointing, Audience-Baffling, Limited Commercial Appeal, Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour. Sorry, no refunds.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

That needs to be official and on a t-shirt.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
hungerfan
Occasional

Post by hungerfan »

If I didn't already have my tickets I would be trying to get them now after that quote.
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

So, any word on getting a second Seattle date? This sold out way too fast...

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
NH Weird Al Fan
Addicted

Post by NH Weird Al Fan »

joseyklein wrote:So, any word on getting a second Seattle date? This sold out way too fast...

Sent from my SM-S906L using Tapatalk
If it hasn't been booked yet, I don't think it's going to happen.
8/11/07 Beverly
7/15/08 & 6/26/10 Gilford
8/22/10 Ventura
10/15/11 Boston
5/10/12 Lowell
10/19/12 Beverly
6/7/13 Lebanon
6/8/13 Keene
10/5/13 Hampton
6/4/15 Concord
6/6/15 Foxwoods
8/4/15 NewBedford