The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Patrick
Die-hard Fan

Re: The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

Post by Patrick »

TMBJon wrote: Don't forget, he apparently already has a plan for 2019.
I was thinking about this the other day. Al has pretty much accomplished almost anything an artist could dream.
So, what does that leave? And it hit me. Al doing a tour with an Orchestra.
Patrick
Die-hard Fan

Post by Patrick »

So, I was thinking more about The Saga Begins as the closer. And while I still don't like it, I can kind of see it. I think Al probably enjoys the experience with the fans singing along, and that's why it's his closer. Aside from Yoda, what other song does he really have that can be sung along to with the crowd?
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Patrick wrote:So, I was thinking more about The Saga Begins as the closer. And while I still don't like it, I can kind of see it. I think Al probably enjoys the experience with the fans singing along, and that's why it's his closer. Aside from Yoda, what other song does he really have that can be sung along to with the crowd?
It is good for that! That reminds me, I've been to shows where someone beside me thought they were supposed to try to sing along the whole time... kinda ruined it for me. I can understand maybe singing along to a chorus here and there, but not the majority of the show.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Those who have been to multiple concerts, does Emo's set differ at all from night to night?
And Peggy
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yes, a little bit. Not too much though. He does most of the same gags. So deadly funny every time though.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
City Schnitzel

Post by City Schnitzel »

To those who already attended shows of the current tour: Is there a lot of audience participation? I'm not really that familiar with a lot of the non-parody songs and would probably feel a little insecure about singing along... and spoiling it for those around me with a deeper knowledge of the lyrics. :P
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

City Schnitzel wrote:To those who already attended shows of the current tour: Is there a lot of audience participation? I'm not really that familiar with a lot of the non-parody songs and would probably feel a little insecure about singing along... and spoiling it for those around me with a deeper knowledge of the lyrics. :P
Personally, I go to hear Al's band - not the person sitting beside me. Some choruses like The Saga Begins, Yoda, Don't Download This Song, etc. are appropriate for singing along. But I'd recommend leaving verses and anything you aren't sure about to the band...
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Lip sync. You still get to participate but not being annoying about it.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

So, I know I heard in an interview that they were rehearsing 52 songs, and we're at 48 (50 if you count TSB and Yoda, but I'm not sure how much they would have to rehearse those) But the last couple shows haven't added anything. Do you think he's done or still holding a couple back? I mean, he could have practiced Trigger Happy and one or two others, and just decided TH was too political and the other two were too hard.

I think I'll keep up hope that he's saving Callin' in Sick just for my show on the 25th. XD

I have a weird thing with that song. I didn't have Bad Hair Day until ether late 99 or early 2000, (I had Running With Scissors before that...) But what I DID have was, my older brother got 'tired' of Al (...He who is tired of Al is tired of life...) and gave me all the CDs he had (That I wasn't allowed to touch otherwise) and he didn't have Bad Hair Day, but what he DID have, was the Gump single, and one of the things on that was Callin' In Sick instrumental. And while that wasn't my typical 'kind of music' I really liked it. I had no idea what the words to the song where, but I really fell in love with the music. So by the time I got BHD, it was easily my favorite original on the album. (Of course the others are great too!)
City Schnitzel

Post by City Schnitzel »

I'll go with minnick27's lip-sync advice. :) Of course I don't want to annoy people with my less-than-remarkable singing voice.

I was just worried that I might be too quiet to fit in because of my partial ignorance of the song material. At some shows it can afterall be annoying for an actively participating crowd, if some just sit there in apathy... or in awe for that matter.

Seeing as the show I'll be attending is a fully seated one, I'm sure I can just lean back and enjoy the band with a smile on my face... and maybe lip-syncing some of the songs that I know.

I also find it better, when I can listen to the artists and not others singing along, but sometimes that can be fun as well and as I have never attended a Weird Al show before, I just wasn't sure what to expect.