Requests for Originals

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: Requests for Originals

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Not really a request, but, I wonder... we've been looking at the albums and the originals and what he should play but, I randomly thought of it this morning: Do you think he'd do Spy Hard? - Oh, now that I have a second thought, maybe not because of the trumpets. It would be one of those that I didn't LOVE but I think would be cool to see live, especially if he held that note at the end. If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that when he wrote it, he planned on 'cheating' with splicing and stuff, but that he ended up actually being able to hold it. Maybe he can't now though. Anyway, was just a random thought, and no one has really mentioned it (That I've seen).
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

I don't know if anyone mentioned it or not, but I happened to be watching Johnny Dangerously the other day (movie hasn't aged well and is kinda meh), but I forgot what a great track This Is the Life is, definitely underrate and one of Al's best. I definitely hope we hear that one on the tour.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

They certainly could do it. But it is one they certainly couldn't relax while doing, and it is probably not happening.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Yankomaniac wrote:They certainly could do it. But it is one they certainly couldn't relax while doing, and it is probably not happening.
Well, if they are doing songs like Albuquerque, "not being able to relax" during a song isn't something that should immediately rule a song out (even though I agree it's probably not happening)
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Yes but there couldn't be a bigger difference in the complexities of This Is The Life in comparison to how simple Albuquerque is to play. On drums, guitar, both keyboards working full tilt. Albuquerque is roughly 12 minutes however it is the exact same two chords the entire song with Jims crazy solos, which for him are very simple to do. There is a lot more time to breathe in Albuquerque is an easier way to put it I guess. There are more reasons to leave out This Is The Life just as they have done in the past, but I am hoping I am dead wrong, obviously I want to see it!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I think for a lot of songs more complicated to play, like This Is The Life, we would get a stripped down, unplugged version if we get it at all. They could easily work out an acoustic arrangement that would not be as complicated as the recorded version.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
SophieT
Occasional

Post by SophieT »

Close but no Cigar has been playing non stop in my head for days. I'm floored by the amazing lyrics!!!
"My heart was beating like a Buddy Rich solo."

Al is a genius and someone needs to tell the world!!!

But who? Everyone is listening to trash talk these days and seemingly loving it.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

SophieT wrote:Close but no Cigar has been playing non stop in my head for days. I'm floored by the amazing lyrics!!!
"My heart was beating like a Buddy Rich solo."

Al is a genius and someone needs to tell the world!!!

But who? Everyone is listening to trash talk these days and seemingly loving it.
I agree, I have always loved this original. Though if I had to choose I hope at my show he does Virus Alert from SOL, if I got CBNC again, I would really enjoy it.

(The following is just my assumptions, with no real basis, feel free to ignore.)

I've been working with the assumption that he might do- mainly- one from each album. If he does about 18 songs, 14 albums + possibly one new song, then maybe even the possibility of ending on Yoda, or something else random, that would only be two albums to have more than one, and I would assume that it would be older albums to get two. (Edit: Or if he does Albuquerque a lot, one of those two being from RWS) But we'll know if that's the case in a week!
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

Ooh, Close But No Cigar was cut from the one SOL concert I saw in 2008. I was kinda disappointed, because I loved that song. It would be amazing if Al played that again.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
SophieT
Occasional

Post by SophieT »

I wonder if Al's got his set list all worked out and our little dream of his checking in on this original request site is all in vain.

But, just in case, Al's paying any attention, and is as flexible as his physique, then perhaps he will play certain songs we love.

I've watched this so many times this last week and I just love the vibraslap.

https://youtu.be/W_kooRTnAbk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;