Requests for Originals

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: Requests for Originals

Post by minnick27 »

With a different setlist each night its probably gonna be something they do on the day of the show. As far as the list of songs for the rotation, I would say that's done

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Out of excitement for the tour/procrastination of schoolwork, I decided to accumulate a personal dream setlist. I picked 15 original songs, a big hit medley, a polka (how cool would it be if every show this tour opened with a random polka from the past?), 2 parodies for the encore, and whatever Al just recorded in the studio. I didn't include any songs that are straight up impossible/deconfirmed (i.e. Hardware Store), but did include songs that aren't necessarily likely (i.e. Pancreas).

Polka Your Eyes Out
Party at the Leper Colony
Your Horoscope for Today
Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung
Close But No Cigar
Jackson Park Express
Frank’s 2000” TV
Germs
Good Old Days
Nature Trail to Hell
Big Hit/Unplugged Medley: Another One Rides the Bus, Eat It, Like a Surgeon, Dare to Be Stupid, Lasagna, Smells Like Nirvana, Amish Paradise, White & Nerdy
Pancreas
Truck Drivin’ Song
Craigslist
Melanie
Don’t Download This Song
UHF
NEW ORIGINAL/PARODY SONG
The Saga Begins
Yoda

I'm sure some will disagree with this, and that's totally okay - these are just my picks. I leaned a bit toward newer originals, probably because Straight Outta Lynwood is what got me into Weird Al. I picked my favorites but also took into consideration diversity of styles/flow into one another. I'm sure a lot of you are hoping more for true oldies. And really, looking through Al's catalog, it'd be hard to pick a set that I'd end up disappointed in; it could contain zero of these picks and I'd still probably love a lot of it.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear your thoughts/see your own dream setlist if anyone wants to share!
SophieT
Occasional

Post by SophieT »

I've been watching a ton of Al's concerts thru out the years on youtube and he's been performing Yoda for decades as well as The Saga Begins.
Seriously, it's gotta be mind numbing at this point.
I'd rather see him keep the time open for his originals.
drewdy9999
Regular

Post by drewdy9999 »

Fair enough, SophieT. They're fan favorites for sure, and I am one of those fans. If there was any tour in which Star Wars would be axed, it's this one, and I'd be okay with that. I feel like at least Yoda will show up in some form, though - it's been played at practically ever Weird Al concert ever since the 80s. Also, I am suspecting that the finale will be a parody, since Al told RollingStone "In the first 75 minutes, at least, there are going to be nothing but originals". Of course, it's possible that just means an unplugged parody medley shows up about 75 minutes in, and then it's back to originals for the finale, maybe UHF or Albuquerque. Actually, that seems more fitting for the foundation of this tour.
richegreen
Regular

Post by richegreen »

I'll give this try. Lets assume a 90 minute concert. 70 minutes, 5 minute encore break, then 15 minute version of Albuquerque and whatever other screwing around they want to do to lead into it:

Fun Zone (performed live by the band. Al runs on stage at the end to do the HEYS)
When I Was Your Age
CNR
Everything You Know Is Wrong
You Don't Love Me Anymore (hmm....no props...so no smashing guitar at the end?)
You Make Me
Virus Alert
My Own Eyes
Don't Wear Those Shoes
First Album Medley: Mr Frump / Gotta Boogie / The Check's in the Mail / Buckingham Blues (new lyrics about William & Kate) / I'll Be Mellow When I'm Dead / Such a Groovy Guy / Happy Birthday (the entire song to close it)
Good Enough For Now
Beat on the Brat
Harvey the Wonder Hamster sing a long
Young Dumb & Ugly
I Remember Larry
UHF

(encore break)
some cop out straight cover song teaser
Albuquerque
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

That podcast that Al tweeted today - toward the end it sounds like a rehearsal of Trigger Happy. Not sure if that's recent or what.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I'd definitely crap myself if I got a set like that! I hope to god these sets are like that. There are a few songs that if done, should really be done at all shows, like UHF mostly. If they gotta do a cover at each show, Beat On The Brat would be great to catch.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

ergalthema wrote:That podcast that Al tweeted today - toward the end it sounds like a rehearsal of Trigger Happy. Not sure if that's recent or what.
It could've been. I'm torn whether it was Jim just fiddling around, or practicing a specific riff. Either way, it seems that most of the interview was done quite a while ago (about a year ago), so I'm not sure when the rehearsal clip was from.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Muppetboy09 wrote:
ergalthema wrote:That podcast that Al tweeted today - toward the end it sounds like a rehearsal of Trigger Happy. Not sure if that's recent or what.
It could've been. I'm torn whether it was Jim just fiddling around, or practicing a specific riff. Either way, it seems that most of the interview was done quite a while ago (about a year ago), so I'm not sure when the rehearsal clip was from.
It seems like it was done last year, but he probably did some pickups to update it more

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
ergalthema
Occasional

Post by ergalthema »

Muppetboy09 wrote:
FWIW, it's more than Jim - you can hear Al sing "or I'm gonna have to blow you away". But yeah, this seems to use clips from various time periods.