Dare To Be Stupid Review

Moderator: Moderators

NovaGreensocks
Obsessed

Post by NovaGreensocks »

I love all the songs from DTBS -- especially DTBS itself. Dunno if it's the Devo fan in me, or just the fact that I liked the video.. but I loooove DTBS!
Anata mo watashi mo Polka!
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

Super Sonic 5 @ Jan 26 2006, 03:31 PM wrote:
Girls just want to have Lunch: Bah. I don't like it. Even The Weird One said it was forced. 3/10
i never heard that? what's the story behind it?
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Basically Sotti Bros. forced Al to put on a Cyndi Lauper parody on DTBS [They thought that Cyndi Lauper was gonna be forever and Madonna would just fall flat :blink: ] Anyway he had to get rid of a [supposedly] good parody to make way for...that.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

i haven't actually heard that song yet, but that's pretty crappy

do Scotti Bros. still have that kind of power over Al's ALbums? is he even still with them, i don't pay that much attention :lookaround:
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Nope & nope. Volcano bought Scotti Bros. a bit before RWS [New look=New company] But I don't think they did that again because of the sucky job with GJWHL

For the record: I haven't heard the song in its entirety, but from the clip that I heard, It ain't that great.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
massivifan
Occasional

Post by massivifan »

1. Like a Surgeon-9/10
2. Dare to be Stupid-10/10
3. I Want a New Duck-7/10
4. One More Minute-10/10
5. Yoda-10/10
6. George of the Jungle-6/10
7. Slime Creatures from Outer Space-8/10
8. Girls Just Want to Have Lunch-7/10
9. This is the Life-5/10
10. Cable TV-8/10
11. Hooked on Polkas-10/10 (I love all of his polkas)

Overall rating:9/10
Can I sniff the pit stains on your blouse?
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

LIKE A SURGEON: An obvious idea for a parody (c'mon. . .Madonna herself apparently suggested it!), but no one could have executed it as expertly as Al did! Probably would get more out of it if I liked the original song a bit more, but it spawned one of Al's funniest videos, and the "Truth or Dare" version is always a concert highlight. 7.5/10

DARE TO BE STUPID: The song that could be considered Al's Anthem. Nicely captures Al's don't hold back, anything goes attitude. Plus, a cool take on Devo's nerdy rock sound. Good video, too. 10/10

I WANT A NEW DUCK: Good idea following up DTBS with this, probably one of Al's more stupid parodies. Still, I like it. It helps that I like the original song well enough, and it does have some chuckle-worthy lines ("GET IT?!?") Kind of a throwaway, but I always get a kick out of it. 7.5/10

ONE MORE MINUTE: Easily in the running for best Al Original ever. A great concept, expertly delivered. What more is there to say that hasn't been said already? 10/10

YODA: Best parody on the album. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but even someone with just a passing knowledge of the films has to laugh at lines like "I know Darth Vader's really got you annoyed / But remember if you kill him, then you'll be unemployed!" The barrage of "Yodas" at the end go on a little long for my taste, but otherwise flawless. 9/10

GEORGE OF THE JUNGLE: Okay. . .fun enough, I guess. But why? 3/10

SLIME CREATURES FROM OUTER SPACE: Not a typical fan favorite, but I kinda dig it. Reminds me of those old drive-in B-movies from the 1950's, the kind you might see on Mystery Science Theater 3000 today. Not exactly a gut-buster (except for the line about having just shampooed the rug), but I like the urgency of the song ("Run for your lives!") and all the cheesy SFX and voice modulations. Extra half-point for the "Ghostbusters" reference during the fade-down. 7.5/10

GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE LUNCH: Yeah, I know. Still, this is actually not a terrible concept for a parody. Unfortunately, Al's vocals sound more like someone making fun of Al, not like Al himself. Reminds me of Bob Odenkirk's "Daffy Mel" Yinkleyankle character from Mr. Show. I suppose this was Al purposely ruining the song in defiance of the record company, but he should have at least tried to make the best of it. The lyrics really aren't that bad. (Face it, it's no lamer than "I Want a New Duck", and Al managed to make that one work.) 5.5/10

THIS IS THE LIFE: A fun song, and a good main title theme for Johnny Dangerously, even if it did get removed from the home video version (only to be restored for the DVD.) I like that it isn't directly related to the movie, and works as a stand-alone, too. 7/10

CABLE TV: Not too bad, but not great. As far as Al's TV commentaries, he's had better. Still, it's listenable, and even kinda catchy, almost to a fault. ("I love my Cable TV--EEE!") 6/10

HOOKED ON POLKAS: Not my favorite polka medley, but pretty gosh-darn good. Some good turns in this one, although I just don't think it flows as good as some of his others. Still, what's the best part??? "Sharp Dressed Man"? "We're Not Gonna Take It"? "99 Luftballoons"? "Footloose"? "Relax"? I can't pick!!! They're all so good! 7/10

OVERALL: A middling album for me. Most of the songs here are above average, but fail to make it into the "great" category (the exceptions being DTBS, OMM and "Yoda" of course.) Hey, three great songs is nothing to sneeze at, but that's lowballing it for Al. Plus, if you dismiss GJWHL, there are really only 3 true-blue parodies on this album! What's up with that? Not my least favorite album, but not one that spends a lot of time in my CD player. 6.5/10
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

Mystik Tomato @ Jan 27 2006, 12:01 PM wrote: Basically Sotti Bros. forced Al to put on a Cyndi Lauper parody on DTBS [They thought that Cyndi Lauper was gonna be forever and Madonna would just fall flat :blink: ] Anyway he had to get rid of a [supposedly] good parody to make way for...that.
Well i've heard about Al being told to put a Cyndi Laupner parody on the album, but not about having to take a parody out to make room for it? where did you hear that one? and why would he if there was only four parodies on the album? On his first two albums he had five.

- Sam
L285
Die-hard Fan

Post by L285 »

Like a Surgeon - Funny, a bit TOO novelty though - 7/10
Dare to be Stupid - I just can't enough of hearing this song - 9/10
I Want a New Duck - It's funny but it's too close to the original song - 7/10
One More Minute - Hilarious but it gets a bit boring after listening to it a few times - 7/10
Yoda - The original song was great and this gets it to a T - 9/10
George of the Jungle - It's just a cover - 3/10
Slime Creatures from Outer Space - Not very memorable, a bit plain - 5/10
Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch - Doesn't get the love it deserves - 8/10
This is the Life - It's quite funny but I love the music - 7/10
Cable TV - Lower than expectation, my 2nd least favourite Al song - 3/10
Hooked on Polkas - It's one of my least favourite polkas - 6/10

Overall - It's great, but it didn't reach the legacy of In 3-D - 7/10
“Since you left home on your journey, things have changed around here. For example, I don’t have as much laundry.”
Insomnia
Occasional

Re: Dare To Be Stupid Review

Post by Insomnia »

Like a Surgeon: 10/10 Great song
Dare to be Stupid: 10/10 One of my favorite songs, it's basically a classic
I Want a New Duck: 9/10 I feel this song is very underrated I just love it. Maybe because how catchy it is and I love ducks
One More Minute: 10/10 Another one of my top favorite Weird Al song also very underrated
Yoda: 9/10
George of the Jungle: 5/10 It's ok I guess, really the only bad thing about this album, it feels very tacked on. YES i said it's the ONLY bad thing
Slime Creatures from Outer Space: 8/10 I love the style of this song, it also reminds me a lot of Hamster for Mars
Girls Just Want to Have Lunch: 7/10 I like this song, it reminds me of the first album and screw you all! I'm crazy!!
This is the Life: 10/10 Again, another one my favorite songs Al has done
Cable TV: 8/10 Good catchy funny song
Hooked on Polkas: 9.5/10 A little to short imo

This is probably my favorite Weird Al album. It's defiantly up in the top 3