Buy Me A Condo

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I'm a member of the Al group on MySpace, and while I don't ever really do anything there, I sometimes browse what goes on there.
I recently found a thread from a guy named Alfred Ripped My Flesh claiming that Al ripped him off, telling people to go to his profile and see for themselves. When you get there, one of the songs is Buy Me A Condo. Not a re-recording either. It's Al's version. As if anyone would actually fall for that.

Weird Al Stole My Song and Claimed It As His Own
Check it out, on my profile.....take a listen to my Livin' in the Condos.[EDIT: Should have said "Buy Me"] Let me and ole Weird Al know your opinion.

I was ripped off, not given ANY amount of credit or acknowledgement.
And Peggy
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, that's pretty lame and low for him to claim Al ripped him off. You can't fool us die-hards, dude, so don't even try it. I don't think I've ever ventured over to that myspace. Maybe I should. Hmmm....
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
weirdalfan95
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan95 »

Can we have a link to the topic in the group?
Al- Team #2294
August 19, 2007 Waukegan IL Genessee Theater
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Here it is. I've already started to tell him it's no use trying to fool us. (Although because he initially said the wrong song was ripped off, my first post said I didn't recognize the song at all, and then I posted again after finding BMaC on his page)
And Peggy
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I think you have the wrong idea. What this guy is saying is that his Livin' in the Condos song sounds similar to Buy Me a Condo. *which it doesn't, but that's what it says right on his page* He claims that Al stole the idea from him. I don't think a lawsuit would hold up in court if this guy decided to try and sue Al. He only has a short clip of Al's song there, although he does credit himself for the song. I think Al is the one who would have a reason to sue this guy for putting his name on Al's song.

Moving past this guy's obvious ploy for attention, I love Buy Me a Condo. It makes me dance. hehe! I sure wouldn't mind being in Jamaica right now, even though the character in the song moved to the U.S. It's that island music, mon. Makes me think of sunshine and sandy beaches.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Wow, that's really pathetic. The only musical similarity is that they are both reggae songs, and the only lyrical similarity is that the songs are about condos. Al's song is about a Rastafarian who changes his lifestyle and moves to the suburbs. The other song is more like a Twilight Zone parody about life in a condominium development. Given the surge in condo sales and development in the early 80s, and that it was a bit of a hot topic at the time, it seems like a rather unremarkable coincidence. However, even if this guy's story is true and Al heard this song and was influenced by it, I would hardly call it a ripoff and there's nothing illegal about it.
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

This guy is wasting his time. Just because they're both reggae songs about condos doesn't mean Al ripped him off. The similarities end there, anyway. The tune isn't similar at all, and they're about completely different things. I don't think this guy would actually file a lawsuit anyway. He probably knows deep down that he has no case. He's probably just trying to get publicity.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I posted a comment in that topic. Someone has since posted after me, and we both basically said the same thing. The songs aren't that similar. Because of how his myspace is set up, and the negativity he spews, he has no friends on his page. He should take a hint and give it up.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

How pathetic. You'd think he could find some organizing principle for his life other than the delusion that Weird Al owes him royalties. Sorry Buster, but one word in common does not make a copyright infringement.

At least Tom likes him. :P
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

That's worse than the "White & Nerdy"/"Average Homeboy" comparisons Denny Blaze was making.
taste is only something if it is yours.