Close But No Cigar

Moderator: Moderators

kyky27
Off The Deep End

Post by kyky27 »

Yeah. That's what I thought as soon as I saw he didn't use it. I just thought it was a little to "inappropriate" for the concerts, but that's just my opinion.
"Did you see Journey to the Center of the Earth?"
"I did!"
"Me neither...wait..."
"You had that planned didn't you?"
"..yeah.."
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Yeah, I think it's a bit too risque for concerts. Plus, he doesn't use many of the animated videos, but rather plays the songs live (minus WSD, of course.)
And Peggy
KaRoLuS

Post by KaRoLuS »

Okay, maybe I'm just crazy, but I think the verse structure of Close, But No Cigar is a little flawed.

I think the lines:
I thought after all these years of searching around
I found my soul mate finally
But one day I found out she actually owned a copy
Of
Joe Dirt on DVD

ought to be swapped with the lines:
She was so pretty she make Charlize Theron
Look like a big fat slobbering pig
The only caveat is one of her earlobes
Was just a teeny tiny bit too big

In its current form, the 2nd verse deals with how beautiful "Janet" is while the last four lines has the narrator dumping her something as trivial as owning a Joe Dirt DVD.
The 3rd verse describes "Julie", who rather than being lauded for looks is adored for her various merits (very meritorious merits). But the last four lines makes reference to how pretty she is, and then has her dumped for a minor imperfection.

As it is, the verses seemed compromised. I feel they would work so much better if the last four lines in those verses were swapped. I believe this alteration would give the song a bit more ironic humour.

Janet would be described as being pretty as ever (including being compared to Charlize Theron), and yet still be rejected for perhaps the one defect she has, the sligntly disproportionate earlobe. This would emphasise this extreme shallowness on the part of the narrator.

And finally, the lines concluding the current verse two "I thought after all these years of searching around / I found my soul mate finally" don't fit in with that verse, considering it is still the middle of the song, and makes this false sense of resolution premature. However, Julie being considered as a potential "soulmate" "after all these years of searching around" would fit in well with verse three's "She was everything I've dreamed of / She moved right up to #1 on my list". This would provide a much more fitting conclusion, and make the irony - of dumping possibly your last chance at romance because she owns Joe Dirt - all the more affecting.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

:lol:
Surely, dumping someone for having very bad taste or taste diametrically opposed to one's own (eg. Joe Dirt dvd) is MUCH more reasonable and understandable than dumping them for their earlobes?

Gillian (Jillian?) was ignorant and ill informed.. she could have changed
Janet had bad taste .. she could have changed
Julie was perfect, except for something she had no control over
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Great first post, KaRoLuS. Welcome to WOWAY.
And Peggy
Pickle
Regular

Post by Pickle »

Indeed, welcome KaRoLuS.

Epic, clever dissection of lyrics!

I have to admit I never gave it that much thought, but you bring some valid points.
English doesn't just borrow from other languages, it mugs them on the street and checks their pockets for loose grammar.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

YAY! Song structure nerdery!

Al has a tendency to structure his verses pretty well, but in that case you may be right.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I can see we now have a worthy future poster in the Overanalyze This! topic. :Y
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)

Post by Big Spoon »

Which is the greatest topic that doesn't get posted in enough on the board, IMO.
And Peggy
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

I would so love this album...

I think you can get it on legalsounds.com for like, 2 dollars.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect