My Own Eyes

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: My Own Eyes

Post by TMBJon »

Several people have mentioned it. It also sounds a lot like the riff in Times Like These. In my opinion it's just a standard guitar riff; I really don't think it was meant as an homage to Velvet Revolver.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

This is my favorite song off the album. Hopefully they do it on the tour next year.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Eithne
Obsessed

Post by Eithne »

the lyrics in the song make me think there must be some equivalent in LA to the Tenderloin in San Francisco... there are things I never thought I'd see (and wish I hadn't :oo yikes! )
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Eithne wrote:the lyrics in the song make me think there must be some equivalent in LA to the Tenderloin in San Francisco... there are things I never thought I'd see (and wish I hadn't :oo yikes! )
Most of Los Angeles is like that.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
tankgirl73

Post by tankgirl73 »

Several people have mentioned it. It also sounds a lot like the riff in Times Like These. In my opinion it's just a standard guitar riff; I really don't think it was meant as an homage to Velvet Revolver.
Really? Dang it, I read the whole thread before posting. But I stand by it. I wasn't familiar with Times Like These so I just listened to it -- I can hear the similarity but in comparing those, I would definitely think "standard guitar riff". But the riff in Slither is *exactly* the same pattern as in MOE. It is unique and distinctive enough that it really glaringly stuck out to me on the very first listen... "hey, that's Slither..." Not merely similar or reminiscent, it is the SAME.

Maybe the joke is that in doing a variant of the Times Like These riff, they ended up with the Slither riff, pointing out the ubiquitousness of guitar riffs... ??
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

tankgirl73 wrote: Maybe the joke is that in doing a variant of the Times Like These riff, they ended up with the Slither riff, pointing out the ubiquitousness of guitar riffs... ??
Or possibly it's a jab at VR for ripping off the Foo Fighters' style. I do agree with you that it sounds so much like "Slither" that it's hard to think of it in terms of any Foo Fighters song, even though there are similarities.
tankgirl73

Post by tankgirl73 »

Well I don't meant the whole song, just that riff that's repeated several times in the middle. The song as a whole definitely rings Foo Fighters to me. But the lick in the bridge is just so clearly the lick from Slither, it takes me OUT of Foo Fighters for that section.
Skippy
Addicted

Post by Skippy »

tankgirl73 wrote:Well I don't meant the whole song, just that riff that's repeated several times in the middle.
Yep, that's what I meant too. It's clearly a FF style parody, but that single element just sounds too much like "Slither" to ignore.
Good Enough For Now
Occasional

Post by Good Enough For Now »

As Bruce the Duck pointed out, Al had already used the Slither riff in Polkarama! I'd be curious to know if that just subconsciously crept into his Foo Fighters style parody or if it was deliberate. Before anybody pointed that out, I thought it sounded like a total Foo Fighters riff, and I was even checking "This is a Call" and others to see where he'd pulled it from. (I'm more familiar with early Foos, though I can tell this song borrows more from their mid-late years.)
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I love that lick Jim plays before the bridge. Call it a solo if you want, its more like an interlude riff. Anyways, the guitar work on this is great! Jim never fails to put a smile on my face. :w
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!