The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

2018 - Now with opening act Emo Philips!

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

The Ridiculously Self-Indulgent, Ill-Advised Vanity Tour

Post by TMBJon »

albinodwarf27 wrote:"His plan at the moment is to take next year off the road, and then return in 2018 with something a little more scaled down, possibly an unplugged show of rarities and more personal songs. He has more than enough memorable originals — Skipper Dan, CNR, Dare to Be Stupid, One More Minute, Lame Claim to Fame — to merit a full tour free of parodies, something his biggest fans would die to see come to life."

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/mu ... rg/2279063

Okay, maybe we're getting ahead of ourselves in speculating about this, but as long as Al is talking about it on the record, I don't see why we shouldn't speculate about it.

WOW! I'm way more excited about this prospect than I would have been about another tour of the same format we've seen for the last 10 tours. I would love to see a tour where it's just Al and the band playing songs. No costumes or video clips, just a rock concert!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: 2018 Tour

Post by Big Spoon »

I'll definitely miss the costume changes, but can't wait for this! The Mandatory Fun Tour especially, I've been bummed about just how fast Al disappeared backstage to start the costume changes. Very excited for a tour where we get Al on stage for 100% of it.
And Peggy
remmy
Regular

Post by remmy »

Very excited to hear about this!

As much as I love Al's shows as they are now, this could be a very welcome shake-up. It's so easy to get swept up in the spectacle and forget just how talented everyone on stage is.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Additional quote from the same article:
"We always try to play the hits when we do our live show," he said. "But this would be more like a concert for the hard-core fan that wants to hear some obscure song from my fourth album. That would have limited commercial appeal, but it might be a nice palate cleanser for both myself and for the fans."
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Here's Johnny confirmed for 2018

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
DorothyZbornak

Post by DorothyZbornak »

I would love for this to happen! I do love the costumes and video clips and such, but a show full of non-stop Al would be so awesome.
3/11/00, 8/13/03, 8/30/04, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 4/27/18
tomatochives
Die-hard Fan

Post by tomatochives »

I approve of this! :great:
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

This sounds amazing--and I hope it wouldn't be asking too much for a return to free meet-and-greets!

Just imagining an unplugged version of "Frank's 2000" TV" makes me need to change my underwear.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

TMBJon wrote:Additional quote from the same article:
"We always try to play the hits when we do our live show," he said. "But this would be more like a concert for the hard-core fan that wants to hear some obscure song from my fourth album. That would have limited commercial appeal, but it might be a nice palate cleanser for both myself and for the fans."
Ooooohh, yes!! :whoot: Guess we'll be hearing Polka Party in 2018! #PolkaPartyTour2018

I don't mind the costume changes leaving as long as we get banter in exchange!!!!! Or at least, like, impromptu talking to the audience stuff. Have you ever been to a They Might Be Giants concert? Yeah, like that. And hearing the rest of the band talk would be great too!!

Seeing older stuff live will be amazing.
anthontherun wrote:Just imagining an unplugged version of "Frank's 2000" TV" makes me need to change my underwear.
Same, but I'm not sure if it's for the same reason. :ph34r:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
chickadee
Regular

Post by chickadee »

I only discovered Weird Al in 2014, but I became obsessed IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!
I've immersed myself in it ever since.
But, almost from the beginning, I was surprised that his original songs weren't as popular as the parodies. I just loved them! ALBUQUERQUE makes me go mad!!! :ttr:
I LOVE, CNR, I LOVE, BUY ME A CONDO, I LOVE, FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS, I LOVE, ONE MORE MINUTE!!!!
Should I go on?
I'd be in heaven if it was Al and the band with no LED screen, no costumes, no distractions from the entertainer that's become my number one!!!! :accordion:

BRING IT ON AL!!!! :clap: