Does Weird Al Lip Sync ANY of his songs live?

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Sappho
Obsessed
Location: Hiding in Al's lustrous hair (but not in a creepy way).

Re: Does Weird Al Lip Sync ANY of his songs live?

Post by Sappho »

yankochick38 wrote:I guess there's just bits and pieces, but overall he's doing it live!
Yeah, there's definitely some bits and pieces of backing track support for the really high notes. He did it for Another Tattoo as well. And I think the reason likely isn't that he can't get those notes, but that it's hard enough on the voice to make it advisable not to do that night after night.
Love and peace.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

In addition to "Amazon", isn't "latte" also an FWP backing track?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

Killingsworth wrote:In addition to "Amazon", isn't "latte" also an FWP backing track?
No, it was for most of the last leg, but he started doing it live.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
ironhide1975

Post by ironhide1975 »

Sappho wrote:As far as I know he does not lip sync. He's one of those all too rare artists who sound exactly as good live as they do on the album. :D
Thats what I thought, which makes him more amazing when he does songs like Word Crimes.

In terms of his voice, yeah it will change. Jon Anderson from Yes voice held out really good for many years, it not till recently that I think he started to lower the keys of songs (and some medical issues he's had, he sound more raspy these days.) Weird Al still nails it with Teen Spirit, I've been waiting for him to drop the song but he still hits that last note with such perfection it's amazing.

I would garner we still have a good 10 years left before he retires. He's a good example of what living a health lifestyle will achieve.
ell
Occasional

Post by ell »

I don't believe he lip syncs little bits, even. On Tacky he screwed up the high note where he says "never let you forget some favor I did for you" so I'm pretty sure he's the real deal. :D
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

ell wrote:I don't believe he lip syncs little bits, even. On Tacky he screwed up the high note where he says "never let you forget some favor I did for you" so I'm pretty sure he's the real deal. :D
It is 100% confirmed that he lip syncs those little bits. You can find videos of him outside venues while they are recording, and he clearly doesn't sing those lines.
shoedogg
Occasional

Post by shoedogg »

Time to bring this topic back to life with what I thought at the time but never posted. I’ve always thought he lip synced Fat.....the vocals always seemed too perfect and studio recorded (except for HO!), especially wearing that apparatus. And please please I’m not looking to slight Al or invite haters lol, just my personal observation for years.
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

I always am happy to discuss this topic. No lip syncing is involved here. Fat is actually beginning to get out of his vocal range, so if you watch concert videos from this past tour, you can hear that he is struggling a bit more to hit the higher notes in the chorus. If you compare between performances (just pull up 2-3 different videos), you'll definitely hear some differences between the performances.
Bruh12828
Occasional

Post by Bruh12828 »

nope
Wierd Ai Yankovich
Bruh12828
Occasional

Post by Bruh12828 »

i mean, there is a reason he never does hardware store live
Wierd Ai Yankovich