Rhode Island Comic Con '17 (November 10-12)

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

CB Johnny
Addicted

Rhode Island Comic Con '17 (November 10-12)

Post by CB Johnny »

Our boy will be a headlining guest appearing all three days. I'll try to edit in any updates as I see them.

Until then, who else will I see there? If you let me know in advance who you are and how to recognize you (cosplay, outfit, whatever) then I'm down for a lil' impromptu WOWAY meet up, but I prefer it to be at the con space.
Heds
Obsessed

Re: Rhode Island Comic Con '17 (November 10-12)

Post by Heds »

What's the cosplay plans for yourself, Johnny? Even us not going love to hear about em. You're so creative! :)
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

I am toying with a group cosplay with some friends of Al and the band performing the Star Wars encore.

Otherwise I keep it simple and just do Ninja Brian from NSP and Starbomb.
LaikaComeHome
Die-hard Fan

Post by LaikaComeHome »

Eeeeeeeee! I exploded into oblivion when I found out. IDK who I'm cosplaying as, but I sure as hell will be there! Eeeeeeeeeee!
Fan since 2007. Blossomed from casual fan to Algal in 2016. 9/14/16-<3 Mandatory Fun Tour at PPAC
--
Tumblr url is rock-a-noodle for those who want to hmu.
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

I made the trek out to this exclusively for the rare opportunity to fulfill my childhood and meet Paul Reubens (he was lovely), Al seemed to have a very long line of people eager to see him as well.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Listen to Al's Q&A panel here!

(The title says 2016, but it's really from 2017!)

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

And a video version!

Youtube
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

Anyone have a write up of the Q&A? I got as far as someone in the audience referring to this Nostalgia Critic nobody as they "childhood hero" before my eyes rolled up inside of my head and I had to turn it off.

Edit: I ended up watching the whole thing, here's my one sentence synopsis: "On the Itchy and Scratchy CD Rom is there a way out of the dungeon without using the Wizard Key?" I totally get why Al doesn't do these sorts of things all that often, yeesh.
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

Also from this weekend, here is a great photo

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbYBHLtH7hB ... edyankovic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Being a huge fan of Al and Paul Reubens, it's kind of strange to see them together. Not sure if Al and Paul had any connections prior to this meeting, I don't think they've ever worked together directly, although they run in the same circles and share a lot of the same friends / collaborators, so I assume they were at least somewhat familiar with each other.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

spmahn wrote: I got as far as someone in the audience referring to this Nostalgia Critic nobody [and Al] as [their] "childhood [heroes]" before my eyes rolled up inside of my head and I had to turn it off.
Oh hey, I fixed that for you. Nuance is pivotal, don't you agree? :lol:

I hear your frustration and I see that it wasn't what you needed :D I can appreciate that.

Here you are browsing for updates, trivia, stories, etc. as one does, and while you were expecting the kind of information you want in an atmosphere you'd like

Instead, you felt maybe disappointed that the audience wasn't "avid" fans on your level. or worse. They took a moment to be sentimental and appreciative.

Cuz If anyone's taught me that empathy goes a long way, it's our boy Al. He keeps comments upbeat and tactful while often sprinkling in an understanding what people were trying to do even though said behavior was getting under his skin. ;)

You know who else is like that?
Doug Walker. An influential hugely successful webentertainer who maintained his fanbase's support by showing kindness, empathy, and tact much like Al has.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE
because you know who else does their best to carry on that same compassion and empathy? :)

I don't know if you are actively aware of this guy but let me tell you about him.
He's that someone in the audience who knew a lot of the answers to the questions at the panel, strives to keep his own contributions to Q&As somewhat unique for the sake of more knowledgeable fans, and often loses a lot of emotional mental energy doing so because of his struggles with mental health. ......... That someone who set up a topic on WOWAY so, in case any locals wanted to attend, they could know more about it. Who is the one you mock so needlessly.

because he had the nerve to preface his question with a brief sentiment about two of his heroes sharing the stage together. <_< Literal. Heroes. People who set a glowing example to him that you can be successful in your life and your work while staying both kind and unabashedly nerdy... Two people whose work comforted him in his darkest hours.

HOW. DARE. HE. BRIEFLY EXPRESS HIS APPRECIATION :stern:

I guess he forgot that Spmahn would be listening, right?

Thing is, right now that someone is trying so very hard to assume the best in you when you're behaving like an entitled, snooty, JERK over something as ridiculous as how entertaining a convention Q&A was for the people who weren't there. :rolleyes: Maybe you're just having an off day. Maybe I'd have easily enjoyed a conversation with you at a VIP party.
Prove me right.

TL;DR
Next time you decide to talk like a jerk about your fellow fans, be a little careful. You don't know whether it's someone among your tribe. Especially about behavior that has no reasonable effect on you.

My eyes are rolling, too, fellow fan. Have a better day that you did when you wrote this.
-----
edit: apologies to anyone bothered by my sticking up for myself here. Normally I ignore these things but when it's in your own community and not merely the comments section on Youtube, it would be remiss to not give a firm reminder to treat others the way you want to be treated.

Coming up next: my Al related experiences at the con
Last edited by CB Johnny on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.