new Q and A from the San Bernadino Sun

Is AL-TV returning or did you find a nice interview? Just tell the folks here.

Moderator: Moderators

weird_el
Off The Deep End

new Q and A from the San Bernadino Sun

Post by weird_el »

found at:

http://u.sbsun.com/Stories/0,1413,216~2 ... 94,00.html

"Weird Al" still dares to be stupid

By Chad Greene

Staff Writer

"Weird Al" Yankovic, the accordion-pumping prince of pop parodies (and the 1976 valedictorian of Lynwood High School), has earned two Grammys, one MTV Video Music Award and, in April, the highest distinction in American pop culture -- a guest spot on "The Simpsons." ' Yankovic appeared in the episode "Three Gays of the Condo" ' to sing "Homer & Marge," ' a parody of John Mellencamp's '80s hit "Jack & Dianne." '

His 11th studio album, "Poodle Hat," ' features parodies of Eminem's "Lose Yourself," ' Nelly's "Hot in Herre" ' and the Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way" ' that, as always, mine the irony abundant in pop culture.

After all that acclaim and all those albums, does "Weird Al" ' still "Dare to Be Stupid" ' with the Press-Telegram? You bet.

Q: You're from Lynwood, which has been designated an "All-America City." ' Does that make you an "All-American Boy" '?

A: (Laughs) I think Rick Derringer got that title in the '70s, but I suppose that, yes, just by definition, I would be one, too.

Q: Do your parents, Nick and Mary Yankovic, still live in Lynwood?

A: Actually, right around the time that I graduated from Lynwood High School, they moved to a town somewhere in San Diego County. They still haven't told me which one.

Q: Speaking of your parents, they bought your first accordion from a door-to-door salesman. What if they had bought something else, say, a set of encyclopedias? Would you be known as "Wise Al" ' instead of "Weird Al" '?

A: Well, it's more difficult to play a set of encyclopedias on stage, so it probably wouldn't be as interesting of a show.

Q: You recorded one of your first hits, "My Bologna," ' in a bathroom. How are the acoustics in your home bathroom right now?

A: Well, I've had my home studio remodeled into a 24-track digital bathroom, so the vibe is pretty similar. It's just a little more up-to-date, technologically speaking.

Q: Do you find that your current lack of a mustache has detracted from your previously unchallenged status as a worldwide sex symbol?

A: (Laughs) Well, yeah, that was a sacrifice I had to make when I got the (LASIK) eye surgery back in 1998. To my chagrin, I discovered that the mustache was attached to the glasses.

Q: Some of the titles in your song catalog seem to reveal an almost unhealthy obsession with food -- "My Bologna," ' "I Love Rocky Road," ' "Addicted to Spuds" ' -- yet you remain surprisingly slim and trim. What's your secret?

A: Just because I obsess about something doesn't mean that I always indulge. So, I sing "My Bologna," ' but I don't necessarily really mean it -- you can see the hollowness behind my eyes.

Q: This is a two-part question: First, to your knowledge, has anyone ever parodied you and, second, if they did, would their parody of your parody be, in fact, just a regular song?

A: Boy, that's hard to answer. That's kind of like looking into a mirror with mirrored sunglasses on -- it boggles the mind to even ponder that.

I'm sure that fans have done parodies of my music before, which is totally fine with me. But I guess it does revert back on itself. I guess that they will have, in fact, created an original song by doing a parody of a parody. It's like a double negative.

Q: Considering current trends in popular music, do you find it difficult to spoof so-called "artists" ' when many of them are already doing such a good job of making fools of themselves?

A: It is sometimes hard to make fun of somebody when they're so ridiculous already. It becomes a little redundant, makes my job a little tough.

Q: Many of the artists that you've satirized over the years -- The Knack, Robert Palmer, Billy Ray Cyrus -- have since fallen by the wayside, but you're still here. What's the secret to your longevity (besides not dying, that is)?

A: It's a combination of luck, hard work and eating from the four basic food groups. And of course, flossing regularly.

Q: I guess the flossing is really important for your singing, right?

A: Absolutely.

Q: Not to be morbid, but if you were to die, would they discover a hidden treasure trove of non-comedic songs locked in a safe cunningly concealed behind a self-portrait?

A: Well, I'm not going to tell you where it is.

Q: Darn. So it's not behind the self-portrait.

A: (Laughs) Nope. I actually don't have any unused material. I'm pretty lazy that way. I figure that if it's worth writing, it's worth releasing.

Q: Kurt Cobain once said that he realized Nirvana had finally "made it" ' when you parodied their music. When did you know that you had "made it" '?

A: When I got to appear on "The Simpsons." ' That was kind of like my validation after all these years.

Q: So, how was that?

A: That was amazing. It's an incredible thing to be sitting in a recording studio next to Homer Simpson.

Q: How was it working with Homer? Are the stories about his on-set behavior true?

A: You know, they're wildly exaggerated. He keeps it professional on the set.

Q: As this year's sequel-driven summer movie season seems to indicate, studios are banking more and more on established film franchises. Are there any plans for a sequel to your cult comedy "UHF," ' and if so, would it be named "VHF" '?

A: (Laughs) Well, if I were to do a sequel, I'd do "UHF 3," ' because everybody would be expecting "UHF 2." ' You know, throw 'em a little curveball.

But, unfortunately, for some reason, Hollywood producers tend not to want to make sequels of movies that lost money at the box office. ... They're just wacky that way.

Q: On a more serious note, as a lifelong California resident, what do you think about the current wacky state of California politics?

A: Well, I was considering actually throwing my "Poodle Hat" ' into the ring as well and running for governor, but then I thought, "I don" t want to take votes away from more qualified candidates, like (comedian Leo) Gallagher.''

Q: Who, in your highly qualified opinion, is the most absurd candidate on the recall ballot? Arnold Schwarzenegger? Gary Coleman? Larry Flynt?

A: Well, you know, at least Gary Coleman has experience as a security guard. But, I hate to play favorites, so I'm going to keep my political opinion to myself.

Q: Fair enough, but would you feel safer knowing that Gary Coleman was watching out for you?

A: Well, if he can take care of a department store, I guess he might be able to take care of the state of California.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Re: new Q and A from the San Bernadino Sun

Post by Elvis »

Nice picture!! :satisfied:

8)

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Nice picture!! :satisfied:

Who took that -- was it Jackie? I hope permission was granted.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

That's a fun one! 24-track digital bathroom? :biggrin:

Hmmm... he said "Press-Telegram," though. Maybe I'd better check my local paper today. If it's a sister publication with the San Bernardino one, I might get lucky.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

The above article is now archived in the Important Interviews thread.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Who took that -- was it Jackie?

*AHEM*

<-- This guy.

:stern:

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Oops sorry, Dave. I knew it was a pic of Al holding the mic out to you, but I thought it was taken by someone sitting next to you.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I didn't know Gallagher's first name was Leo. I didn't know he had a first name. :lookround:
Manda
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Manda »

I liked this interview. I thought the bathroom recording studio was really funny. :)
WeirdDana27
Addicted

hey

Post by WeirdDana27 »

Yeah, right, Al has a 24 track digital bathroom. How cool! I'd love one of those, if I had the money....

Dana