Favorite venue?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Favorite venue?

Post by Big Spoon »

Hey Bermuda,

Do you have a favorite venue to perform in? Or favorite concert that stands out as your particular favorite?
And Peggy
bermuda
Be jealous.

Re: Favorite venue?

Post by bermuda »

There are a number of particularly enjoyable places to play. In no particular order or era that we would have played there, I'd say Toad's Place was fun (because of the surrounding shopping and eateries,) Minnesota State Fair (giant grandstand and a great state fair!) the Palais in Melbourne, AUS (classic big venue and St. Kilda is fun,) the Hard Rock in Orlando (lots to do at Universal Citywalk,) Majestic Theater in San Antonio (lots of stuff to do nearby and it's a beautiful theater inside,) and probably a dozen or more additional. We played Lawrence, KS for the first time in 2013, and the venue was really small, the kind of place we should have played in 1984/5. But the town was great! Food, music stores, pawn shops, cool boutiques... it was a real surprise. Even though it rained on & off while we were there, I think everyone really enjoyed having most of the previous day off there, and wandering around downtown the day of the show.

I guess a fave venue for me really has more to do with what's going on around it, than the building itself!

Bermuda
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

This reminds me of something I wanted to ask you.

What did you guys think of your first time playing in Boulder, CO last summer?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I don't know what the others thought, but I enjoyed it - great eateries and shopping where the theater is, and there was a craft street fair that day. I also liked the hotel, nearby shopping mall, and the drum shop!

Bermuda
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Keswick isnt on the list? Is it because youve been there a few hundred times and its old hat?
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

We've played the Keswick 6 times from 2000-11, however, repeat bookings have little or nothing to do with how much we like a venue. It's really a matter of ticket sales, and I recall that it's a full house whenever we play there. Therefore, it's a desirable venue. :) But there are shops and stuff around it and a drum shop across the parking lot, so I'll concede that it falls within the "probably a dozen or more additional" caveat I noted.

Bermuda
running with Dutch windmills
Off The Deep End

Post by running with Dutch windmills »

What about PARADISO in Amsterdam in the Netherlands:

See if you can spot WHiZZi ( and I'm close to him and Anya ) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy8rXCK9J58
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we loved Amsterdam! I remember the Paradiso and hanging with Whizzi, and I remember some wonderful CD stores, especially at a time when they were really starting to disappear in the States. But the Paradiso is a famous, famous place where a million great bands have played. It was cool to be on that stage!

Bermuda
running with Dutch windmills
Off The Deep End

Post by running with Dutch windmills »

I was that other ( older ) guy who was sitting with WHiZZi and his wfe Anna at the table down below .

Nirvana played at Paradiso in 1991 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6XLgqA7jDU