Other parody ideas...

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

eleventhirtyfour
Occasional

Other parody ideas...

Post by eleventhirtyfour »

Have there ever been any really great parody ideas that Al has shared with you or the band that maybe came to him, let's say within the year that the most recent album came out and it was a great idea but too far away from the next album to really matter? I'm thinking maybe if a hit song came out within the first couple months directly after an album was released...
twitter.com/allenpwilliams
haroldwaide
Regular

Re: Other parody ideas...

Post by haroldwaide »

Is it possible these made it into the food medly over the years?
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Any stray ideas would normally turn up on tour, usually in the medley, although I think "I'm In Luv Wit Da Skipper" was the last 'concert only' song we did. Seems like we also did the full "I'll Repair For You" for a little while.

But with each new album & tour, there are more released songs available, more fan favorites, and more must-do new songs, and there's barely room for all of them! The concert only songs had to take a back seat.

Or, we'd have to lengthen the show, but child labor laws prevent us from doing so (curse you Ruben!)

Bermuda
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

bermuda wrote: Or, we'd have to lengthen the show, but child labor laws prevent us from doing so (curse you Ruben!)

Bermuda
Leonard Cohen performed for three hours a night on his last tour, and he was 78-79 years old. Just an idea. :)
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:Leonard Cohen performed for three hours a night on his last tour, and he was 78-79 years old.
That's why it's his last tour!
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Speaking of "I'm In Luv Wit Da Skipper", I always wondered why Al apparently decided to scrap recording that one at the last minute after actually getting T-Pains' permission to record it. Are you at liberty to share?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

If I had to guess, probably because he liked White And Nerdy as a lead parody more.
And Peggy
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Or probably liked Confessions Part III better

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

I don't remember in what order the ideas came, and there was another parody or two being considered around that time. I have it written in a timeline somewhere. :)

But I don'r recall the status of Skipper, except that we included it in the medley and had music for it.

Bermuda
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Maybe Al just realized this would be his second rap/R&B song about Gilligans' Island and didn't want to repeat himself so soon.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...