Style parody responses?

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Style parody responses?

Post by anthontherun »

I'm listening to "Frank's 2000" TV" right now and really getting a kick out of how the entire band--particularly you with the percussion and Jim with that jangly guitar--totally nailed the REM sound. If you uploaded an instrumental version, you could probably fool some people into thinking it were some long-lost REM outtake. So first off, kudos on a job well done.

On that note, we've heard from plenty of actual parody targets about how they felt being lampooned by Al, but I don't think I've ever heard from any style parody targets (aside from, of course, instances like Ben Folds and Taylor Hanson playing on their respective style parodies). Have you or anyone else in the band ever been contacted by anyone who was impressed with how you mastered their style?
The Sporkman
Addicted

Re: Style parody responses?

Post by The Sporkman »

Mark Mothersbaugh's reaction to Dare to Be Stupid from the Behind the Music special: "I was in shock. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard. He sort of re-sculpted that song into something else, and I hate him for it basically."
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

Mark's 'reaction' was obviously for comic effect, it's not a genuine reaction (although it might be true!)

I imagine Al has heard comments from the likes of Ben Folds, Taylor Hanson, maybe Steven Tyler, and probably some others. I know the drummer with Brian Wilson, who told me Brian loved Pancreas, and John Hernandez from Boingo, who loves You Make Me.

I also know the drummer in a band we style-parody on MF, and I'll get a reaction soon when I see them play. :)

Bermuda
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

bermuda wrote: I also know the drummer in a band we style-parody on MF, and I'll get a reaction soon when I see them play. :)
So....Imagine Dragons style-parody confirmed? :)
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

Here's video evidence of a guy in Brian Wilson's band talking to Al about Pancreas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDBoT3tNhc4
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

mrmeadows wrote:
bermuda wrote: I also know the drummer in a band we style-parody on MF, and I'll get a reaction soon when I see them play. :)
So....Imagine Dragons style-parody confirmed? :)
I know many drummers in many bands... however I am not going to see Imagine Dragons.

Bermuda
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

That doesn't mean there isn't an imagine dragons style parody though!
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Quick! Someone start stalking Bermuda and find out what band he's going to see?
CharlesNelson
Regular
Awards: All of them

Post by CharlesNelson »

Bruce the Duck wrote:Quick! Someone start stalking Bermuda and find out what band he's going to see?
I'm on it. :ph34r:
Welcome to the World of Matt Walsh, the biggest forum about Matt Walsh! Enjoy your stay with us!
jacobpacek
Regular

Post by jacobpacek »

I know many drummers in many bands... however I am not going to see Imagine Dragons.

Bermuda[/quote]
So...does this rule out "Radioactive" for "Inactive?"
Let me be your stripper.

Lansing MI: 7/11/07
Jackson MI: 9/23/07
Chesaning MI: 7/17/08