"The Next Big Thing"

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Weird Al's drummer since 1980!

Moderator: Moderators

Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Al says frequently in interviews that he likes to wait for the "next big thing" to happen for inspiration for the next album. Is he planning to do any songs about the following: September 11? Harry Potter? Lord of the Rings?
Weird PC

Post by Weird PC »

weird al writes funny songs, so i dont think he'd write one on something so serious as september 11th. harry potter and lord of the rings i would gladly see him make fun of!
bermuda
Be jealous.

Post by bermuda »

The parodies are still a ways off, and obviously I wouldn't tell you what he's got cooked up. But there'd be no way to handle 9/11 and still maintain the light mood of the album.

As for trying to work Usama into a song, Ray Stevens has already done a fine job of that (not to mention dozens of local DJ parodies) and Al generally stays out of the political arena anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: bermuda on 2002-02-23 20:34 ]
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Ya I bought a copy of that single "Osama-Yo Mama" by Ray Stevens...It was crapola..."Ahab the Arab" was a million times funnier than that...
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

But there'd be no way to handle 9/11 and still maintain the light mood of the album

This comes as good news to me. In fact, last September I broke out of the endless bad news barrage by watching WAY Live. It was a major step in getting past it. It brought me back to a much better place. I'm glad Al can still be an effective escape from reality.
Alapeleke
Occasional

Post by Alapeleke »

On 2002-02-23 22:02, Johnnytimewarp wrote:
Ya I bought a copy of that single "Osama-Yo Mama" by Ray Stevens...It was crapola...

that's rather rude.. many people like it seeing as it has been #1 on the funny 5

And about 9/11 I listened to TSB on repeat for hours until my walkman's batteries died. I dunno why but it caled me. and i'm a major spaz so I was crying for hours
Weird PC

Post by Weird PC »

yep, weird al's lighthearted songs usually make people feel better when theyre down. i know they do me. :smile: good ol' al. where would we all be without him?

(besides, its better than listening to "where were you when the world stopped turning" 17 times a day)
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

There is already a song in Al's vast catalog of gems that now will be forever linked with

September 11..."Christmas at Ground Zero". I am a college radio DJ and for the past several years I've done a holiday show called the "Christmas Abortion Special". I feature both of Al's songs plus a whole lot of subversive classics such as The Kinks'

"Father Christmas" and Mojo Nixon's "Are You Drinkin' with Me Jesus?". "Ground Zero" gets

more funny as the years go by...
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

Oh and back in April 1999 I got sick of all the commercial radio stations playing "Amazing Grace" and other cheesy tunes to honor the victims of the Columbine High Massacre. On my next show after it happened, I did a special on-air dedication of "Trigger Happy"...
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

im sorry, i dont get offended by much, but playing trigger happy just to get back at other stations playing amazing grace? there is a line...